What's the rule on Colostrum?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MillsFarmFamily, Jan 2, 2007.

1. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

We have 2 new doelings from a first freshner, but we can't even make them drink after a little over an hour now. They sort of nuzzle around, but then turn away. I was able to get one of them up to the nipple and squeeze a very little bit into its mouth, but it just screamed and ran away. How will I know if they ever nurse? Is there a certain "window" where they have to get the colostrum? I've heard everything from 1 to 24 hours. Please let me know any advice you can share. Thanks

2. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Are you attempting to feed the colostrum with a bottle or mom's teat??? They need the colostrum within the first hour or two...Basically they need something to drink to gain strenght. You can call me via phone if you want and I can give you some better, quicker guidance...it's 4:00 pm. central time. Call me within the next half hour....John
    931-445-3228

3. MillsFarmFamily

by teat, we don't have any bottles

4. topside1

Call me if you want advice...John

5. topside1

I'm just in the middle of something and can't be typing long explainations right now...I'd love to help if you need it, so call.

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

There is no danger to the kid as long as it is not freezing out or they are wet to not nurse right away. They will be hungry. Let them get up on their own, watch them. The rule on colostrum is 1/2 ounce per pound of body weight before they are 12 hours old. So you have some time. Calm down, relax, have a cup of tea and enjoy the babies. If they are strong enough to scream and get out of your grasp they are fine! Vicki

7. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I try to get colostrum into them within the first couple of hours, although I've always heard critical time is six to fourteen hours. Sometimes I will find it necessary to lift and hold a kid that cannot stand to get those first sips in before an hour or two is up. I feel better that way. From what I understand, they don't have to gorge on colostrum, it's getting some in that counts.

Sometimes the kids aren't too smart about it either. They will scream and fuss and act like you are trying to kill them. Keep trying and they just may get a 'taste' and instinct will grab on. They don't 'like' having their heads pushed towards the teat. Keep trying, maybe holding a bit differently. Relax and keep trying. I've held a slow kid by the head and pushed the teat in its mouth, and gently pinched it's mouth closed/open a couple times - to mimic the sucking action. That usually gets them suckling, or if they yell - I quick squirt a little bit (don't drown them with a full squeeze!) in their mouths. They'll swallow it, maybe scream again, but start suckling usually. You can tell if they've eaten by their bulgy little bellies, sort of like puppies.

If you weren't there for the birth - there's a chance they've already eaten and that's why they are so offended at your efforts.

Niki

8. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I've had a couple deliveries where kids didn't eat for two hours. Keep trying to put them to the teat and rub their hind ends to stimulate the suckling reflex. Hopefully they'll catch on soon.

9. MillsFarmFamily

ok, we got them eatting, thanks again to everyone :eek:)

10. seanmn

seanmn Well-Known Member

If I have any doughts whether or not there getting their colostrum, I milk some out of the doe and stomach tube the kid(s)
    If you've never stomach tubed a kid or a lamb the pipestone veternairy clinic has some pictures posted on their website, They also sell the stomach tuber device, It also helps to have someone experienced show you how.
    I use them frequently, I consider it my little insurance plan to save them as I figured I put all the time and money into feeding and taking care of the doe...