What's the funniest thing a fairgoer ever said to YOU?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by xoxoGOATSxoxo, Sep 9, 2006.

1. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

Some times fairgoers say funny things, inadvertantly of course. I don't laugh untill later. :rolleyes: I want to keep a notebook of things they have said to people. Please, don't think I'm being mean. I'm not, on purpose. If anyone thinks that this is a cruel thing to do, let me know! I don't think it's that bad.

If you have a really funny quote, could you please post it here? Don't worry, I'm not going to share it with anyone. :)

FUNNY quotes only, please. Things like "Don't touch the goats, they stink and will eat your garbage" make people sad. :(

I'll put in one of my own experiences. (Yes, this is posted on the sheep page, if you've been there.) A lady came up to look at my goats. I got drawn into a conversation, and neither of us mentioned the word "goat". When I mentioned tha I milked them, she looked suprised and said "Oh, are they cows?" (Don't worry, I explained nicely that these were goats, and plenty of people milked them. :) )

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a lady ask me if my Nubians were llamas :rolleyes:

3. Madge

Madge Member

Someone once asked me if it was true that goats are fed on old newspapers and cigarette ends!

4. valhalladad

valhalladad Active Member

I was at our fair for many years. I think the best I heard in those years happened on what we always called flatlander day. I live in NE PA and we have a lot of people from NJ and NY. The year in question they had the goats at the end of the sheep pens. A man was explaining the animals to a friend. I quote, "These are the sheep, they're the female, down there are the Billy goats, they are the male." The only real problem the people were standing at the pen of the Champion ram and we didn't allowed anything but does to be shown at this time. I don't know who had the biggest laugh, us or the sheep breeder we were talking too. It was at the Harford Fair in PA in the early 90's. I also wish I had written everything down over the years. It would make a great book.

5. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I don't think it's mean at all- if we were laughing at them at the fair or giving sarcastic answers that would be a whole 'nother story. But almost all the people I talked to at the fair sincerely wanted to know and were interested in the goats. Many people asked if they stink and eat tin cans, but they were curious since the animals at the Fair didn't fit the stereotypes.

I wish I'd had a notebook at the State Fair! A few of the questions stick out.

The most often asked question was whispered, usually with a glare- "Why do some people cut off their goats' ears?" I think people don't want to ask the evil Lamacha breeders so they come down the row to those of us who "haven't mutilated their goats". A lot of people who asked this question looked like pretty skeptical when I told them Lamachas comes that way.

Many people pointed at the Nigerians penned next to me and said "Look, here's the baby goats!" Yeah, babies with udders.

"Are they all pregnant?" Nope, they're ruminants and what looks like a pregnant belly is actually an enormous belch collection.

"How much milk does he give?" I can't believe how many people referred to my girls as "He" and "him". I can see it with kids, but when her udder is swinging in your face?

Or my all time favorite (I did keep a straight face) "What is that big pink thing between his legs?"

6. Pamela Smith

Pamela Smith Member

We had a little boy, about 3-4, watching my daughter milk out her doe. He looked a little shocked when he asked his mom if the goat was peeing! :)

We had an older doe we took to fair every year. She was one of those does that is very wide from side to side even if she is not pregnant. We had a lady at fair ask when she was going to have babies. We told her (and a million other people) "No she isn't pregnant just old and wide". She argue that yes she was pregnant she had seen the babies move!! Well OK .... People are funny. :rolleyes:

7. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Pamela was that your older grey or blue roaned nubian doe that your daughter shows? Lol that is funny that people said that. Imagine the poor pygmy people :nono: :p !

I still can't believe how FAT those pygmys look! I think mine is when people ask me "What happened to their ears?" in very hushed tones. I had one person who really thought I cut their ears off :shrug: :help: (I raise LaManchas :p ).

MotherClucker

8. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

The most frequent question we get is regarding the La manchas' ears. One time, when a fairgoer asked why do we cut off the ears, a friend pointed to a Nubian and commented, " see how long those are? They are just about ready for harvesting". It was said in good humor and everyone got a good laugh. Other folks notice that our does have no horns and wonder if it's the "billies" that have horns.

9. ForMyACDs

ForMyACDs Well-Known Member

Just got back from the State Fair (in Detriot) so there were LOTS of odd questions.

One mom pointed to my Nubians and told her son to "look at the pretty colored camels"

One kid exclaimed at the donkeys (my friend's Toggs).

Of course LOTS of people asked about why we cut off the Lamacha ears but the BEST one was the lady that asked: "at what age do their ears pop out?"

10. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

When I worked at an animal shelter, we were holding two nubian babies for the fair petting zoo. They were in a pen in the puppy area. We had SO many people say what strange looking dogs those were, and ask "what breed are they?".

(I do understand their confusion though. They were looking at all these dogs, and their brains just weren't ready for the flip of seeing a goat. :) )

11. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

I had some friends in MD whose homeowners association wouldn't allow them to have livestock. But they kept a goat, and had their neighbor convinced it was a special breed of dog. No kidding.

12. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

Its this type of ignorance that enables the groups like PETA etc to spread its myths and get donations.

Sad part is that these people are usually otherwise educated as professionals etc.

All book learning and no common sense.

Back to the subject at hand though.

My oldest was given a small goat as a gift once. It was a really pretty and gentle one at that. A neghbor lady asked me how I could own such a vile creature. She said that they were literally evil and minions of satan. She meant it too and even gave my son some drawings she got at church on how to recognize satanic symbols that had the usuall goats skulls etc.

13. Pamela Smith

Pamela Smith Member

MC,

No the roan doe is Sapphire. The doe I was talking about was Fennel. Her nick name was Fatty Fatty Fennel. :p She died last year. It was strange going to fair without her this year. No one asked "When is your goat due?" :(

14. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

Our school's AG TEACHER wanted to know if the LaMancha's ears had been frostbitten off when they were born. He started raising boers this year, maybe he'll come around... :p

15. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I am sooo glad I wasn't drinking coffee while reading these! :dance: I haven't shown any goats - yet, but I've heard enough funny comments about horses that I can just imagine.

The breeder I bought my Saanen from had a funny comeback to the LaMancha ear question - "we cut them off to make soup". Now, I don't know if he's actually ever said that to someone . . . :rolleyes: he doesn't breed LaManchas.

16. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I've not gone to any shows or fairs, but I do walk my goats on leashes and have one trained to cart. I've had people ask:

What breed of dog are they? (even though they have horns... arg.)

Do you only have billies? (since I don't dehorn... almost everyone thinks my does are billies.)

How many puppies do they have? (hehe...)

I thought goats were stupid and stinky! ( about my doe that pulls the cart.)

Can I feed it my popcan? (arg again)

Several people have asked if I could give them one... Give? no. I wouldn't in the first place as hardly anyone knows anything about goats.

I've had people try to feed them cigarette butts... err...

17. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

Another one of mine. All these "is she pregnant?" questions made me remember it. :)

When I was walking one of the 3 month old WETHERS down my road, (don't worry, it's a country road) the horse-keeping woman down the road came out and asked "Is she pregnant?" :) It was after breakfast, so he was chubby.

I'm glad people don't think this is mean, or anything. :)

18. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

What I think is funny are the reactions folks have when they see the "jewels" of the boys for the first time!

A lot of people think it is an udder. But even if they know what it is, they are amazed. I know I was! My eyes opened up wide and went out to here!

My dh used to admire the studly determination and sheer animal desire of our buck. Got a kick out of it. Made a lot of jokes and etc.

Then yesterday he witnessed him urinating on his beard, then putting his face up in the air with his lips pulled back from his teeth.

I asked him, "Do you still find him to be an inspiring example of masculinity?"

I love getting the last laugh!

19. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

OK - just to be clear on this. Your hubby saw the goat urinating on his (the goat's) beard, right?

Hopefully hubby did not see the goat urinating on his (hubby's) beard! And hopefully the goat did not see hubby urinating on hubby's beard.

:)

I'm pretty sure it was hubby seeing the goat doing goat things....right?

Lynda

20. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

How about my younger sisters schoolbook that said "Only Billy Goats have beards, not the nannys". Sigh......