What's the biggest litter you've had?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by LuckySpotFarm, Jan 25, 2017.

1. LuckySpotFarm

LuckySpotFarm Active Member

We have already been very blessed this year to have the biggest litter we've had. We had a little of 11 fat babies.

Attached Files:

nehimama, SmokyShadow and sandj81 like this.
  2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

13, several litters of 12. They for sure can have bigger litters but its hard for the mother to feed them all and all live---without fostering.

3. LuckySpotFarm

Those are big litters! We just got into rabbits about a year ago and this past summer/fall we had horrible luck with them. I actually only had 3 litters total last summer that made it. I had a litter of 2, 4, and 7. The two smaller litters came from an older doe so I expected those. All my others either wouldn't breed at all for me or wouldn't take care of their babies.... :mad:

Out of 24 rabbits and having only 3 litters was a little unacceptable so we culled the free loading slackers.

Fire-Man likes this.
  4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

The biggest I had was 14. NZ/SF cross. I remember some were just tiny, and all were smaller on average. Some were close to normal size. I probably fostered, culled any failure to thrives but don't recall exactly.

Fire-Man likes this.
  5. longhairboy

longhairboy Well-Known Member

I had a litter of 15, one died the first day, and then the mother raised the rest to weaning age

Fire-Man likes this.
  6. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a doe that had had litters of 14. New Zealand. I sold her a as young doe and had never bred her myself. Bought her back
    due to the guy getting out of rabbits. Resold her to another breeder because I did not have room for her.
    I like to compare the different breeds. I have a Netherland Dwarf that has had 6 babies at once. Normal for them would be 2 or 3.
    My Dutch have 6 to 8 at time. Normal for the breed is about 5.
    I am happy to see 8 for a Californian litter. A few would have 9 or 10. I like to see uniform size litters. If not, you better breed
    another doe at same time, in case you need to foster.

7. FurFeathersFins

FurFeathersFins New Member

I had a New Zealand White have 15 and raise 10 of them. Normally I have litters of 6-10. I raise NZS of various colors, Californians, and American Chinchillas.

8. LuckySpotFarm

This is actually why I try to breed two does at a time, generally I do one of my good producers and a new mom. This time I made an uh oh and bred two unproven does. Last time I bred the mom of this huge litter she didn't produce a litter at all, then her sister had her babies on the wire and it was really cold that night and they all died by morning when we found them.

I wasn't thinking and bred them both (I don't like having more than two litters at once). So this momma had 11 big healthy babies. Her sister had 5 on the wire next to the nest box, one died before we found them, put the 4 in the box and one wandered into the corner and didn't make it. Now thankfully I have three babies doing well but it was most certainly panic mode for us! We didn't think her sister could handle fostering the three living babies so I was super worried about them. Thankfully she decided to woman up and take care of her babies :nana:

I do have a doe that is an AMAZING mom, she fosters for me a lot. I personally breed standard rex but this doe has to be a mini cross at some point. She's a little smaller than the rest of mine and she always has small litters. I think 5 was her biggest litter ever usually its only 2-3. If she wasn't such a good mom and a great back up plan for fostering it would be harder to constitute paying for her feed bill :p

9. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Well-Known Member

14, she was a mix. Some Rhinelander/FG nonsense. She raised out 12 of them.

10. grumpy

grumpy www.ekfelts.com

I had a commercial NZW 2nd litter doe deliver 16 kits and kept all alive for 2 days. I culled 2 really small kits and mama raised all 14 with 12 living to market weight. I saved several young does for future breeders, and not a one turned out to be worth a flip.

11. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Grumpy, Where have you been? Good to see you post. You stopped with the commercial breeding?

ladytoysdream likes this.
  12. LuckySpotFarm

It seems that only my one momma was being an over achiever this winter. I had my litter of 11 which all survived, litter of 5 (3 survived), litter of 5, litter of 4

Interesting! That's what I seem to have noticed with my big litter too! My babies are just now 8 weeks old but they're much smaller than I normally have at this age.

I ended up having two litters at the same time. The big litter I had and then her sister (bred to same buck) had a litter of 5, but she was a crappy mom and only 3 lived. They are almost double the size of the ones from the bigger litter and they're a few days younger.

I sold one out of each litter to a friend as pets so it'll be interesting to see the size difference in them as adults. All three of the parents are pretty big so it makes me wonder.

She's picking up the two today so when I get them out I'll take size comparison pictures.

13. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Grumpy :)
    Nice to see you post. Hope all is well with you. Do you still have lots of rabbits ?

14. crittermomma

crittermomma Well-Known Member

I believe my husband has had 12 kits born at one time - but like it was stated above - that is alot for a doe to care for - so, he tries to breed 2 at the same time - just in case he needs to foster any. Thankfully does aren't picky about their kits like a sheep or goat would be. My sheep head butt any lamb that is not theirs.