What's the best way you've found to cook your pork chops?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by homebirtha, Dec 12, 2006.

1. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We had some last night and they were very good. I just panfried them. But they were a little tougher then I would have thought.

I was raised on Shake N Bake lol, but that didn't seem appropriate for these lovely chops. I'm wondering what you've found to be the best?

2. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

i like them marinated and grilled, DO NOT OVER COOK! I marinate in lite italian dressing (i like lite cause it does not seperate) grill on a low to med. heat. cook just until no pink remains, to hot too long IMO make a great pork chop like leather.

3. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

We grill them, and with home grown - we do NOT overcook pork like we felt necessary with store-bought pork. I marinate with drizzled honey, fresh-grated nutmeg, mustard powder, fresh ground pepper.....sometimes a pinch of clove, or garlic, or onion....One of our family favorites! We always carmelize some sweet onions too, and serve with cinnamon applesauce, green beans, and mashed red potatoes.

Niki

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

We usually grill or panfry them, but I also make a hot dish. I make a batch of rice, put it in a deep ovensafe dish or roasting pan, brown the chops, lay them over the rice, and cover the whole mess with gravy or cream soup. Pop it in a hot oven for about an hour.

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

2TBS prepared mustard
    2 TBS Ketchup
    2 tbs brown sugar
    2 Tbs vinegar

enough water to half depth of chop, cook 15 min flip 15 more min at simmer....let the water cook off to make sauce...add water as necessary during cooking but let it cook off last 5 min or so...

ETA: our first batch of homegrown chops was delicious and devoured :cool: Even 5yo whose not big on "chewing" the meat...liked them!

6. chrisntiff

chrisntiff Well-Known Member

Don't forget since you raised your pigs and know they were'nt sick and raised all natural' it's perfectly alright to cook those chops about medium rare to medium. Talk about melt in your mouth.

Chris

7. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

We like the thick cut bone-in chops. I brown them in olive oil then top with dry onion soup mix and about a half cup of dry vermouth. Cover with a tight lid and drop the heat to low. Simmer for an hour and a half and serve on a bed of wide noodles. They melt in your mouth...heaven!

8. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

heat some olive oil in a big nonstick pan. slice up a clove of garlic and spread in pan. Add some fresh rosemary stripped off the stems. Heat gently then add pork shops and brown them, turning once. Our chops are nearly one inch thick so they take some time, but never get tough--the whole house smells great!

Vanessa
    near Nashville

9. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

brined......in 1/3 cup salt + 1/2 cup brown sugar + black peppercorns + a bit of dry mustard + about 2-3 cups water.....add chops and brine for 12-15 minutes...turn over afor 12-15 minutes more....rinse and pat dry.....sear in a hot pan on both sides then steam with 1/2 cup hot water for a couple of minutes......let the chops sit for 3-5 minutes then eat....

10. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

Another vote for NOT over cooking. One of may benefits of raising your own.

11. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

I also agree don't over cook. It kills all the flavor.

We like to cut them thick like 1" maybe a little better. Then place a cast lron skillet in the broiler for 5 min. or so to get it screaming hot. Next you place those fresh chops in for about 4-5 min on one side and 2-3 min on the other. This will not cook them all the way. Next you take them out and let them stand on a covered plate for 5 min. more. This will finish them without drying. Don't use a fork to remove them from the oven, you will lose all the juices.

12. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I'm definately getting my chops cut thicker after reading all these tips!

Niki

13. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

just tossed plain on the bbq! next best is pan fried!

14. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Definitely think we overcooked them. Thanks for all the tips. I can't wait to cook some more. And we picked up the hams today. Oh my gosh, they are GORGEOUS and made the car smell like a BBQ joint. Yummmmmmmm...

15. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you guys not afraid of trichinosis. The way I understand it you are at a risk if you undercook pork. Mom was always scared to death of this, even raising are own? This is a danger in a lot of the wild meats too. Especially if they are a meat eater. Worms are what the cause is. How would you know if they had them or not. If they were not heavily infected could you tell? I agree I like my meat pretty rare, it stays jucier.

16. chrisntiff

chrisntiff Well-Known Member

If you freeze pork for at least 20 days, the tricinella will die.Or you just need to cook the meat to a very modest internal temp of 150 degrees. Though if you like to eat bear the strain of tricinella in bear can survive below freezing temps. So you must cook bear to at least 170 degrees.If you don't feed your hogs raw meat there isn't a very good chance of them getting it either.

17. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

Good to know. I just bought a half a hog today, and was just wondering.

18. Rogo

Rogo Well-Known Member

I like something to bite into, so I like my pork chops on the thick side. One way I love them is to slit for a pocket and put stuffing in. Use toothpicks or those short metal thingys (can't remember what they're called) to hold the stuffing in. Bake in oven. Sometimes I dunk them in Shake 'N Bake, then bake. Here that, homebirtha!!

I eat all meat medium, pink inside. I like it juicy, not like an old boot!

I'm a porkaholic. Any way it's cooked, it's good. More flavorfull than beef. Pork's usually my first choice in a restaurant, too.

Trichinosis - haven't heard that word for many years! Seems I heard somewhere that it's no longer a concern - no doubt due to better deworming practices.

19. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Because a few of our Porky pigs have been a bit older when butchered I find casseroling is the best for them....beautiful....and I am talking 18-2yr old sows.
    But a friend gave us some mini pig chops of a 7 mth old piggie and we just BBQ'd them and they were that "melt in ya mouth". But I am afraid after eating 2 over 250 kgs of Pork piggies over the last 2 years we are all porked out.