What's the best way to remove old adhesive?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Jun 28, 2005.

1. I have an old exterior door with etched window that I have had in storage for several years. I brought it from an old house that was being torn down but before transporting I ran several strips of duct tape across the window. It has been left in storage that way for quit a while.

Well I'm trying to cut down on the clutter and thought I would put the door up for sell but the adhesive on back of the tape is dried on the window. I don't want to use a scraper for fear of scratching up the etched window. What would be the best thing to use to remove it?

I also have a recurve bow that has camoflage duct tape on it too. It has been on the bow for several years and is dry also.

2. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I was told that WD40 would remove adhesives. Rubbing alcohol will also remove adhesives. Someone sent me an email with all kinds of tips for using WD40 which is quite surprising. I will try to find it and post it.

3. themamahen

themamahen Well-Known Member

i have also heard wd40 and alchohol

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Nothing works better than Goo Gone. You should be able to find it anywhere.

5. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I have used goo gone, alcohol, lighter fluid, gasoline, and simple green (takes a bit of scrubbing with that though). You just need to be careful about getting some of those on wood and some paints as they can dull the finish, strip the paint, etc.

6. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

When we got the Cherokee back from the impound, they'd covered it with wax pencil numbers. We tried scraping and alcohol, but nothing worked until I whipped out the can of <drum roll> WD40! (Had to clean that off with Windex...)

I've used WD40 to take off old dried up glue/tape, crayon, gum, you name it.

Po
    ny!

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

My vote goes for WD-40, too. Not only does it remove adhesive, but it makes for a fantastic cologne!

8. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

The orange oil cleaners work good on adhesives.

9. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

3M makes all different types of adhesives for their tapes. 3M also makes a product called Citrus Cleaner. It comes in a spray can and works great on glass and metal to remove the adhesive. It will etch clear plastic.

10. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

WD-40 without a doubt.

11. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

The problem with WD-40 is that it contains oil, and it can leave oil-stains. If that's a consideration, then what I know as Shellite and I believe you know as Coleman fuel does a very good job, and doesn't leave any residue.

12. gleepish

gleepish Well-Known Member

When I was running a bookstore we used lighter fluid to remove adhesive from the covers of books. It took the sticky right off and left the print! :)

13. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

There's a product called OOPS! that you get at the paint store. It will even remove dried latex paint.

14. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I vote for goo gone. I always swore by WD-40 for cleaning off gunk but goo gone seems to work better for me.

Am I the only one here that actually owns a one of the gallon can of WD-40? Or the only one who got far too excited when they introduced the "Smart Straw"?

15. Thanks everyone, I have both WD 40 and Coleman fuel to give it a try with. If they don't work then the next time I'm in town I'll buy some of that Goo-gone stuff.

16. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

My partner is a nurse and we have a huge supply of "remove" and "allkare" which are adhesive removers used for removing the adhesive from bandaging and such. However, I've used it for removing my nailpolish, glue left on walls, tape gunk etc.... It's amazing.

babs

17. Cat65

Cat65 Member

Another thing you can try is a product from AVON - Skin So Soft oil.

18. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

I use corn oil to remove adhesive all the time. Then I use water and dish soap to remove the corn oil.

Just put the corn oil on, let it stand a few hours, then wash it off. Works every time.

19. RenieB

RenieB Well-Known Member

Hairspray will remove most anything. We have used it on glue with good results.

RenieB

20. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Industrial Stength Acetone, for the glass.