Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's very early for this, but what is the best type? This spring I got the *cheap* black bottle nipples. The first I got in Jan were very good they lasted the 5 months I fed kids and are still in one piece. :rolleyes: but when the next set of kids were born I got 2 more. they lasted less then 1 month till they had tons of little holes in them. And the very last 2 I got hardly lasted the 2 months I fed. I had to wean them at that age because the farmstores sent back all their nipples and wounldn't get more in till Spring 2008.

So what is the best?

·
when in doubt, mumble.
2,025 Posts
Yes, the Pritchard nipples that firefly81 said are very good. They are available at most farm supply stores and magazines. One problem, if the kid likes to chew on the nipple, they dont last long at all. Otherwise, they last ages.

·
Registered
187 Posts
yes I have used both... I had 8 bottle babies I was feeding all at once with the cheap black ones and nothing made me more mad than making all the bottles and then getting down there to feed them and more ending up on me and the ground due to leaking... I invested in the red/yellow ones and I loved them!!

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I hope I spell this catalog right..Hoeggar's goat supply catalog. They also sell the red type of nipples..but I have always used the black ones with no problem until this year. I had a small buck born and after feeding him with a syringe for several days a friend of mine gave him a regular human baby bottle and he was drinking great with that. I guess you just have to try and see which ones are best suited for your kids...Some will just last longer than others. Good Luck !!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
The prichard ones are ok. I have since gotten the lambar kid feeder bucket, and LOVE the nipples that come with that. They also slip on the top of pop bottles and are great. They're a nice soft but heavier duty nipple that our kids seem to take to pretty well. I also raise minis and after a week or so they are large enough to deal with this size nipple. My alpines take right to it, too.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I've been using the 2-qt. white calf bottles with red rubber lamb nipples on them. For small or weak newborns I use the Pritchard nipples, but because the rubber is so thin, they don't last well with older kids. (I warn you, though, kids hate to have their nipples changed!) I don't like the black rubber nipples because you just about have to find glass pop bottles to use with them -- the plastic pop bottles all have grooves cut in their threads, which causes leaking. And it's become almost impossible to find glass pop bottles anymore, at least around here. That's why I finally went to the calf bottles.

Kathleen

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,668 Posts
Hoegger's sells an amber-colored rubber (or is it latex?) nipple. They fit on the bottle Hoegger's also sells, which has a screw ring to hold the nipple in place. These nipples also fit on regular (human) baby bottles, for those times you're starting out a very young kid who doesn't need a whole lot at one feeding.

The nipples are elongated, and the material they're made of is nice & pliable. I've used the ones I have on hand for about 2 years now, and no problems.

NeHi

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Thanks to ALL who posted! Im planing on getting a few screw on nipples and a pail with 4 nipples in it, so thats good. It has 2 side (2 nipples on each side) so then I can feed older kids and younger ones.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I use a now-grey nipple from Caprine Supply and I wouldn't willingly use another type of nipple. Similar in shape to the black nipples, they're much, much, much more supple and easier for young lambs to use. I've used the Pritchard nipples but just never have gotten to where I really like them - I've had many a weak lamb choke on them. There also is a discernible difference in quality from different manufacturers of Pritchards...I assume this is the case as the nipples carried by our local farm supply store are not made nearly as well as those I've bought from MidStates Wool in the past.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
I have tried about every nipple out there over the years but three years ago I discovered the Lambar bucket and nipples and will never use anything else again. They are wonderful! The nipples can be used on the bucket feeder or they can simply be slipped onto a plastic pop or water bottle for bottle-feeding. They are long lasting and the kids take to them well.
I keep a pritchard around for the premies, but 99% of kids will take the lambar nipples. They are wonderful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.