whats that book...?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Slev, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

I forgot the name of a dairy book, it's like "THE" dairy book if I remember? something like, Homestead Cow, or whatever? It was written by a woman, and or her husband wrote something else, maybe>? I just can't remember.... my memory is worth nothing.....

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

One is Keeping A Family Cow by Joann S. Grohman and another is The Family Cow (a Garden Way Book). However, seems there is another title such as The Family Milk Cow by a woman author.

3. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a book called "The Family Cow" by Dirk Van Loon, published by Storey. Is that maybe the one you were thinking of?

4. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

How about "The Cow Economy"- the best family cowbook ( I think) author is Merrill and Joann Grohman- not sure about the spelling, but I can look it up if you want.

Susie

5. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

wow, more books than i thought, but the one i was thinking about was by Joann.

....too bad I didn't read the book that says if it's your first time going out buy cattle, not to trust your buddy's dad and ask the owner/farmer "...are the cattle stump-broke"

thanks

6. Milkwitch

Milkwitch Well-Known Member

I first got my cow 3years in may. I bought the Dirk Van Loon book and am very disappointed with it. I found this lady's web site and it has helped in immeasurably, I can not now afford her book, but from the post of those who have it it is MUCH more informative that the one I got. Her name is Joann Grohman wrote 'Keeping A Family Cow"
    Her site is a treasure.

7. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

I have both Van Loon's and Grohman's books; the former fills a niche, but the info in Joann's is much more current.

The feeder box pictured in her book didn't work for my cow at all, tho', so go with somethng else. Hers does have a picture and instructions for building a wooden stanchion, which was helpful for me as a newbie five years ago. And her forum is just outstanding for info.

I keep them both handy in my kitchen. I had to find info somewhere because it's not available locally; most around here are raising beef or milking goats.

8. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

I have both books, "The Cow Economy" and "Keeping a Family Cow". Keeping a Family Cow" is just the updated, hardbound version of "The Cow Economy" as far as I'm concerned. My copy of the "The Cow Economy" is a very cheap paperback. Both contain lots of good advice for the first-time cow owner.

9. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

There is a nice lady, a New Zealander, on this very forum who probably has enough practicle knowledge on keeping a house cow to fill a few dozen books, and so far she has been willing to pass out her extremely valuable opinion at crofter prices; "Over the fence on the Back-40" so to speak.

Buy all the books you like, but if you need honest down to earth one on one help...,

10. linn

linn Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree Haagis, that nothing takes the place of the voice of experience. But it is mighty handy to have information at the ready when nobody is available to give you advise, especially in an emergency situation.