What's Right With People?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Madame, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

After seeing so many 'what's wrong with" type threads, I figured I'd start this one.

Some of my good people experiences:

Neighbors who didn't even know me mowing my lawn for me.
    Students shoveling my walk - just out of kindness
    Neighbors coming over to help put plastic on windows and put up lights, just cuz I am (so they said) nice people
    Once (many years ago) left a purse with $700 in it at a crowded cafeteria on a military base - it was found and returned to me and not a cent was taken

I could go on and on, but I plan to sleep tonight. How about you? What positive experiences have you had?

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

The absolutely wonderful outpouring of love and concern and prayers for my grandson who is now at St. Jude's, being treated for cancer. We have people all over sending cards and posting supportive messages and writing letters and just generally being wonderful.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Well, I for one got to read your post.

4. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Let's see...there are wonderful people who hold a door open for me in stores.
    Then there are the ones that ask if I need any help when I'm reaching for something on a high shelf. Or the person who will stop and help us back out of a parking place when there is a van blocking our view.
    I have neighbors who will stop whatever they are doing and come and help me if I phone. And the mailman (neighbor too) who brings my packages to the door and, if I'm not home, he'll bring them to my DD's.

5. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Lets see...not too long ago one of our neighbors cut down a tree that had fallen on our fence for us...and then repaired our fence for us! :) My neighbor on the East watches our house for us while we are gone...and then built us a dock on our pond and helped us with building the chicken coop. We are truely Blessed. :)

6. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

My wife gives me a hug before she does anything alse in the morning. Makes me glad I'm alive.

7. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

You're a dear, Madame. Thank you for starting this!

The lady at work who brings pretty tablecloths and centerpieces from home, just to make our lunchroom table nice.

The neighbor who calls to check on me because my dogs were barking a lot.

My husband who makes sure my car is never low on gas so I don't have to go out in the cold to pump it.

My son who leaves me "I love you" messages on the answering machine, in case I miss him while he's at school.

My mama, who notices little things that I don't have and need, and buys them for me at Christmas.

There are so many more good people than bad ones! I couldn't possibly list them all!

:)

8. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I have a neighbor that takes me to church every Sunday. Now you can't ask for more than that. :)

9. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

The lady at church who writes me encouraging notes when she knows I'm down. I carry Elaine's notes with me in my DayTimer for the times I am discouraged!

My DH warms up my side of the bed because he knows I hate being cold. And he brings me water. And does a bunch of stuff around the house without being asked... AND he shares his chocolate with me. :D

Something else my DH does that just tickles me no end: He finds perfectly good bikes tossed out to the curb (people so foolishly throw perfectly good things away!), brings them home and fixes them, then gives them to kids who don't have bikes.

Other nice experiences:
    Neighbors who bring in the recycling bins for the folks on either side of them.

Folks who gave DH a lift to the gas station and back to his car when he ran out of gas.

People who share what they have.

Pony!

10. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Last year we had a huge 100 year old tree come down in a windstorm barely missing our house--before we even got outside to start cutting it up four of our neighbors were here with their chainsaws and trailer to help us! A daunting job became a social event--one even took pics for the local paper. DEE

11. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

We have good neighbors and we behave accordingly with them.
    We have a great church!
    I have a great extended family and dh's family is getting there, they spent the weekend together this past week and got along! Can some one give me a witness!!!??? :dance: This is such a praise!

The grocery store I go to the most has friendly people working there and they give those who have challenges a chance to work. Some of them have been there for at least 5 years.

12. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

I must say my husband is the one who really blows me away with his thoughtfulness. He often gets me surprises, almost every week. He starts a fire every morning so I'm not cold when I get up. He is kind to all our neighbors and gives of his time and energy without so much as a second thought. He has given up any form of candy, for one whole year so far, to help me be strong wtih my diet. (That's my man!)

We have wonderful neighbors in this little community and everyone I work with is kind and generous.

Pat

13. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

OK, you're going to challenge a confirmed misanthrope like me to come up with some good stuff. So I will. :)

DH and my family and friends are good to me, but then...they are my family and friends. Not that a lot of people don't have family and friends that treat them badly, but more often that's not the case. Still, grateful for that much.

In terms of strangers, I'll just say that I love where I live, and the people (my well-known neighbors and those people I don't know at all) there. In the worst snowstorm, someone will always come by and offer to plow our long driveway for us, and we have a neighbor who put up a handmade sign reading "SLOW - Baby Geese!!!" along the road when our goose family escaped last spring. That's true kindness and caring. Also, I've had plenty of car trouble over the years, and I don't think I've ever had to wait five minutes before someone has stopped to offer their help. I try to pay it forward (or back, if you prefer) as often as I get the chance.

14. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I can give a huge example of what's right with people around here....( Ozark Mo.)

When we lost our home earlier this year to a fire....going off on a tangent our fire story made the local news...our home burned total loss...DH's office puts us up in a hotel for as long as we need...It doesn't take long couple of days for us to find an apartment to move into temporarily, we pay a deposit in the evening...that night the apartment building burned to the ground. Well we are living proof that lightning does occasionally strike twice.
    The community response was overwhelming...DH's office had a dinner ( all food was donated by local restaurants ) co-workers and their family members ( some we don't even know) donated monies, clothing, household items..we were overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things that were given to us. Our children's school then kicked in...PTA moms brought us dinner every night for about 2 weeks...they took a big collection of items at the school for our family and there was another school family in the apartment building that lost everything as well...There was a big multi-purpose room at the school that was stacked and piled with so many things donated. Community groups sent giftcards...we came back to the hotel many evenings to find anonymous envelopes with cash and gift cards stuffed under the door. A large church ( we do not attend church either ) took a collection for the families affected by the fire...there was over $15,000 collected and split according to family size. It still to this day awes me that such caring and consideration is still present in so many people.
    We moved here from South Florida..and I'm sure the extent of community involvemnet there would have been people trying to loot the remains of our home. So even with all of the bad things going on in the world you can rest assured that there is still alot of good.

15. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

What a great thread!

My mother who came down and ran my household, and cared for me while I went through a horrific third pregnancy - and my family still at home, who gave her up for awhile!

The man who stopped and changed my tire for me - while I had two toddlers, and ended up parked on the side of the highway on a steep hill. (my spare actually tried to roll down the mountain!). I was mad at all those who passed me by, but the man that did stop not only changed my tire, but had an air compressor to air up my spare, AND followed for the next hour to make sure I got to a tire shop.

The man who answered our phone call about our anatolian pup's food aggression and then spent countless hours on the phone, and via email helping us raise him through the 'teenage' phase. Not his pup, or his bloodlines. Just helping out total strangers with his time.

The real estate agent who represented us while buying this home - pulled strings I didn't even know existed, to get the appraisal within our approval range. He was the seller's agent too. I know, we were very blessed.

My goat lady friend who will come over any time day or night to help 'birth babies' when the doe is in trouble.

My kids, who will surprise me with baked things, or a surprise job well done. My oldest son who refused a bribe of $100, I won't go into details. He's twelve, and that's a lot of money!

DH, who has been in Celebrate Recovery for over a year now, and is working his butt off. He's the adult child of an alcholic/drug addict and basically had a paradigm shift this year. His whole reality changed - and I am so proud of him, and excited for the future.

Niki

16. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Oh, I can think of many good things about people! It's a rare day that there isn't a nice story to tell.

There's the friend who brings a few potatoes and apples or other food items whenever she visits, because she knows my budget is tight.

There's the other friend who comes to trim some trees, and while he's at it who sharpens the secateurs and fixes the leaky taps.

There's the friend who comes from interstate several times a year to give my garden a thorough digging and going-over, because he knows I can't do these things. He also 'does stuff' to my computer to make it go better. And then, after all that, he emails me on his return to thank me for 'a lovely day and an excellent lunch'!

There's my son who sends an email to me (after I'd rung him to tell him of the death of a person dear to me) - 'Any time you want to talk, just call me'. And, after I was the victim of a violent crime, who came to me with flowers and hugs, and the magic words 'Tell me what you want from me'.

There's the stranger in the shopping centre who smiles as s/he passes.

There's the lady at the ice-creamery who gave me a thickshake for free after I had a fumble-fingered moment and dropped the one I just bought! In this case, the fumble-fingered moment occurred nowhere near her shop!

There's the unknown lady who paid the $2 I was short at the checkout.

There's the friend who lives 1500km away who came to take me out for the day when she learned I was having a rough time.

There's the man who smilingly offered to take my shopping trolley back to the storage area for me, as he was passing by.

My list goes on. It's little wonder that I try to be as nice as these people. Nice is catchy!

17. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

Slight hijack!
    Dezeeuwgoats
    Isn't Celebrate Recovery the greatest thing???? My dh started and now heads up the CR at our church, it is sure changing lives! Congratulations to your dh for his 1 year of recovery!

18. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

This is the neatest thread. It makes me smile.

19. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

The good folks don't make national news,,,Here are a couple of things I witnessed out in W.KY farm country:

A farmer hauled in his first load of corn and fell from the top of the grain bin when he went up to open the lid. The fall Broke his back and put him in the hospital...and it was harvest time...

The next morning there were 25 combines and 30 trucks in his fields getting his harvest in for him. Not one farmer harvested his own crop in that community until ALL of the crop of the injured farmer was safely stored away.

I also knew a farmer who had his equipment barn burn down. He lost a combine and 2 large tractors, as well as his shop equipment.

The next morning, a Mennonite farmer who he didn't even know showed up on his doorstep and asked him when he was going to re-build.

He told the Mennonite that he would re-build as soon as the insurance company paid him. The Mennonite said, "OK, when you get ready to get your materials together, our church members will be over to build your new barn."

Those Mennonites worked every day for 2 weeks cleaning up the mess and re-building the barn. They said that was a ministry that they did whenever someone's barn burned down. No charge for the labor, and the women came and spread a noon meal for the whole crew every day. It was truly like an old-fashioned "Barn Raising"

Lots of good folks still in this world, but as I said, they just don't make the headlines...

20. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

I saw this article in the paper today
    http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061220/5030613.asp