What's quirky about your hometown?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Elizabeth M, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Elizabeth M

Elizabeth M Well-Known Member

Basics post got me wondering...

What have you noticed about your town that seems odd?

One of the first things I noticed about Aurora Indiana when we moved here was that NOBODY HAS TEETH! Men or women, young or old. At least not a full row of them without several missing right in front.

At first I thought it was that they were poor struggling farmers, but now that I know them I know that many of them have more money than I'll ever have.

There is a dentist in town but he must have nothing to do.

Otherwise, very nice people...

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

My home town is Chicago.

It would be easier to ask what's NOT quirky about it!

Pony!

3. Elizabeth M

Elizabeth M Well-Known Member

Oh, and I forgot. They put a HUGE 20' Christmas tree right in the middle of the main intersection at Christmas and you have to drive around it.

Actually, that's kind of cool. :)

4. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Aurora! I've been through there ... don't they bury folks standing up? 'Cause it's so steep?

We have been told that "Wakarusa" is an Indian word for "knee deep in mud."

And Wakarusa has a town Christmas tree, too. The bank had a commemorative Christmas ornament made and I gave one to SIL in Russia.

Also, the church, the library, the school and the nursing home are all within walking distance. So the nursing home gets company from both the church and the school all the time, which is nice.

We are just up the road from Mentone, egg capital of the Midwest, which has a giant concrete egg in the town square.

It's good to be from the Midwest :D

Ann

5. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

There's a statue in downtown Van Buren that I have the urge to vandalize. It's a horrible thought, but this statue so deserves it. Goofy looking fella, couldn't tell you who it, but he sure is goofy looking. :haha:

Then in the other town there is a statue of Popeye the Sailor. Alma is the Spinach capital of the world I guess. Anyways, Popeye is now securely chained up because he was stolen so many times. :haha:

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

:) :) Anaconda, Montana...home of the left leg limp? I dont know why but every time i go to town I notice more and more folk with a left leg limp LOL. This is also the home of some pretty heavy metal issues. I think everyone I have ever met in town has thyroid disease...kind of makes you wonder. Course most of the town are senior citizens and most of the remaining young folks are into drugs and such instead of work!

7. sisterpine

:) :) Anaconda, Montana...home of the left leg limp? I dont know why but every time i go to town I notice more and more folk with a left leg limp LOL. This is also the home of some pretty heavy metal issues. I think everyone I have ever met in town has thyroid disease...kind of makes you wonder. Course most of the town are senior citizens and most of the remaining young folks are into drugs and such instead of work! Oh, ya, and most of them pronounce the name of their town as Andaconda when it is really Anaconda LOL. They call all folks not born there "Boomers" and they call road ditches "borrow pits". Such a hoot!

8. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

It wasnt really my hometown but I was stranded there for a century between
    1977 and 1980. A small town in Central Illinois, about five thousand people.

When it snowed a lot, they would get the plows out to plow the streets, which was noisy as most of the streets were brick at the time. Anyway.. the weird thing was that they plowed as normal all the other streets in town... but down the main street through the center of town, they would plow so that all the snow would go to the center of the street. So the main drag of town had from left to right, sidewalk, snow, parked cars, traffic lane, BIG PILE OF SNOW, traffic lane, parked cars, pile of snow, sidewalk. It narrowed the street tremendously and the snow was stacked so high it stayed long after the rest had melted. why? I have no idea and no one could explain it to me.

Donovan

9. sisterpine

Wow- they do that in Anaconda too! Makes driving darn near impossible and in Ana. the main streets are each one way only so turning off onto a side street cant be done in the winter unless you want to turn right LOL.

10. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

The town DH and I live in has about ten pizzerias on what is essentially a two street business district. They all seem to do a brisk business and we think there must be some sort of law that all families must purchase a pizza each Friday.lol

The rest of the business district is heavily populated with antique shops, repair shops, and beauty salons. Yet when a few chain stores moved in and cleaned up some old toxic waste sites people complained about the "Main Street" merchants might loss business. To who? None of these retail chain stores are going to compete with these types of businesses. I was just happy to be able to spend my money here and not in some other town.

We also have quite a cast of characters walking our streets. I grew up two towns away and I have never seen so many oddballs. We have everything from Muslims in full pj like outfits to kids in thug type clothes to yuppies and of course your local winos. What a bunch of beauts. Taking a walk is never boring.

What I do like is that it is one of the oldest communities in my area and was mostly built out by the middle of the 20th century so it has a lot of old charm. The population is also nicely mixed in age, ethicity, class and income. If only there was more room between the houses...oh well it works for now.

11. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

The closest town is Brookshire. They have signs all over that say "Brookshire is better". Better than what? Better than you? Or better than before? Or not best but better? Who knows?

Also there's a quirky little restaraunt that people line up to eat at but they are only open for I think 3 hours a day during lunch and not on the weekends. The post office is only open for an hour on the weekend and that's just to pick up certified letters. The only grocery store closes at 8pm!

And to top if off, when I got my registration sticker for my truck, the lady handed me the sticker. Then she asked if my vehicle was outside. I said yes, then she reached under the counter and handed me a papertowel, windex and a razor blade!

12. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

Our little town of Roundup, MT has three beauty shops: The Sagebrush, The Tumbleweed, and The Shearin' Shed. :haha:
    Also many of the businesses offer multiple services. My favorite is the Used car lot/curio shop/second-hand store/rental storage units/horses for sale/firewood/computer repair. :haha:
    We love it here!
    Steph

13. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

At risk of validating the image Montana
    has in many people's minds of being a
    place where wackos reside,...I'll tell
    you two things I find quirky. (and I'm
    a transplant, so they might seem
    normal to everyone born here) :haha:

Instead of street signs saying, for ex.
    Maple St. NW...it will say Maple St. WN.

The other thing that really mystifies
    me is that in residential areas, many
    intersections have no stop signs on
    ANY corner...and if you don't drive
    defensively, you'll get hit broadside
    'cause no one yields!

...still haven't come across any wackos,
    of course, I don't get out much. LOL

14. .Marie.

.Marie. Registered Human

mommymushbrain....there is absolutely no spinach in Alma, Arkansas. I've inquired about it...my sister lives near there...I am told they USED to grow a lot of it in that area and for whatever reason, they still claim to be the spinach capital.

There is a small town in PA where a local fella wanders the streets all day, every day, waving paint brushes at passersby. Last time I saw him, he was wearing a wide brimmed straw hat with a big pink feather, plaid shirt, shorts with floral-embroidered suspenders, white tube socks, and work boots. On each hip he carries about a dozen paint brushes, on large rings that are attached to his belt. As you drive by him, he has one brush in each hand and waves the brushes at you as if he were a catholic priest sprinkling holy water on you. I tried to get a photo of him in action once, but when I circled back around to where he was, he was sitting on the ground right next to the street, taking a cigarette break. When you ask the locals about him, they just laugh and say "oh you met him, did you?" As far as they know, he is just blessing you.
    I wonder if each brush is for a certain blessing....or how many blessings he can give from a brush before it wears out...
    Next time I see him, I'm going to stop and ask him!

15. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Austin, Texas - Their motto is "Keep Austin Weird", so you can imagine that eclectic variety is their theme. Austin has a bit of EVERYTHING!

16. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

We used to vist Pineville, in Bell County Kentucky when I was a kid. They had a boulder with a chain attached above the town that was suppose to keep it from crashing on the town. They also had a laundrymat that instead of the washers and dryers having numbers they had names like Marge and Ethel. Sidewalks had chewing tobacco all over them. The mountains were beautiful!

17. bare

bare Head Muderator

One good thing about living on the border is I get to claim two home towns. Since Montana keeps coming up, I'll tell you why I love Troy, Montana.

Many moons ago, there was an old timer by the name of Francis who made the junk rounds every day with his faithful old nag of bones and wagon. He was just a fixture. Young children loved him, teens taunted him, adults ignored him.

One day his ancient horse expired on the highway and it wasn't long before folks started to miss Francis. A collection was quickly taken up to purchase a new steed for the junk wagon and some of the town fathers drove to the horse auction in Kalispell to pick one out. They came back with a high-stepping buggy horse that wasn't too proud in the least to pull Francis' old wagon smartly.

Sheep tamer, the reason there are no stop signs is that every Montana kid is taught the "Basic Rule", which stipulates the the person on the right always has the right of way.

And you sisterpine, in a thread titled quirky, how could you fail to mention the Anaconda smelters?

[​IMG]

Then there's the biggest honkin', free-standing masonry smoke stack in the world at 585 feet:

[​IMG]

Or how about what must be the biggest plastic virgin in the all the world, in nearby Butte?

[​IMG]

18. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I used to live in Yale, Michigan. Every year they had a bologna festival (still do, as far as I know). They crowned a bologna queen, who wore a ring of bologna on her head during the festival.

One of the events at the bologna festival was outhouse races. I can't remember what the winner received- I'm sure I've blocked it out.

19. sisterpine

OK you win! There is a huge smelter stack in Anaconda. Used to be the biggest in the world, like 500 plus feet tall I think, though I could be wrong. I can see the stack and the town from my front porch and the stack looks big even from the top of our mountain. An new years eve we ride our snow mobiles to the top of our mountain where we can see the "our lady of the rockys" statute which is lit up and we try to shoot it with each and every gun we own. I have no idea why this happens but it seems to be a big deal to the guys. We have a bon fire, roast hot dogs etc and shoot at the statute which is like 30 miles away on the other side of the continental divide!

20. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in Senatobia, MS no one knows how to drive. And none of them have license plates and none of them have insurance. We've learned to wait a minute at lights because two or three people are going to go through the red light. Happens every single time. We were shocked to discover our auto insurance was higher here in MS than in Dallas/Ft. Worth, but that's due to the high number of uninsured drivers.