Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 2009's garden/orchard/vineyard spots? What are you going to try new or different??

I am going to try really hard to start Asparagus, potatoes, parsnips, carrots in my garden. I want to add Asian pears and persimmons, pomegranate and apricot to my orchard..And add two different types of muscadines or grapes to my vineyard..

Thank you QB

·
Windy Island Acres
4,588 Posts
I want to add raspberries. While I have planted them before, the "new" part will be that these will survive :icecream:

·
Premium Member
27,863 Posts
I'm planting blueberry seeds and salmonberry seeds. I'll find some other stuff, just wait until the cataloges come out. :D

·
D-Idaho, Single
664 Posts
I have a pear, apple, apricot, cherry, plum and peach tree right now, plus 7 blueberry and grapes.
I want to plant a pie cherry and nectarine tree in the spring.
I'd love to plant a pomegranate, but here in SW Idaho I doubt if it would grow.
I will check the nursery in spring to see what they have.

Debbie

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Still renting, so I can't plant any trees, but I'm thinking of dwarf trees in pots. Anyone have any luck going that route?

Twila

·
Windy Island Acres
4,588 Posts
I had two saturn peaches in pots. They did really well.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I love peaches! Adding to my list....thanks!

Twila

·
Registered
626 Posts
Moving my strawberry patch and expanding it at the same time. Where the strawberries are now - that bed will be filled with more cranberry plants after I work to acidify the soil more.

Expanded the garden area this fall by cutting down some trees and shrubs. Will be doing root removal through the winter - and will construct/dig new beds in the spring.

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
We planted purple Romano beans and harvested our first batch this weekend. They cook up green:( but they are gorgeous when ripening on the bush. The bushe's stems are a gorgeous purple and the blossoms also. Very attractive.

I was looking up links on the "peanut" pumpkin and found a pink! green bean. Have to find that one again and get an order in!

·
Premium Member
27,863 Posts
RideBearfoot, I have a tangerine and a lemon tree in pots. Yes, in Ohio. Both were seed started, the tangerine is old, 12 years if it survives to spring. It did finally produce flowers this spring but no fruit. As long as you protect the pots (even below 0*F blueberries do not survive our winters outdoors in pots) and add new rich soil in the spring your potted trees should do fine. I overwinter mine in the (currently unheated) basement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts