Homesteading Forum banner

What's needed/suggested for butchering a hog?

891 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  LakeEffect 
#1 ·
I'm planning on butchering my first hog. The biggest thing I've ever done before has been deer so I need a little advice.

The main question on my mind right now is what kind of platform would you suggest I have to do the actual butchering on? Right now I'm thinking of taking some lumber and build a platform out of a 4X8 piece of plywood and cover that with either a tarp or plastic. Too big? Too small? Do I need the cover? How high would you suggest I make the platform? I don't want to be bending over the entire time I'm cutting the carcass up. Should I slope the platform to allow for drainage?

What kind of 'tools' would you suggest? Here's what I have now.

I've got the hog :)

A tractor with a front end loader/bucket and chains which I plan to use to hang the carcass to skin and gut it.

Sawsall to split the carcass and to cut it down to smaller pieces. What blade should I use?

A few OK knives and sharpener to cut and bone the pieces.

Running cold water and access to (but not that easy to do) running warm water if needed

See less See more
#2 ·
When we butchered hogs years ago. We used saw horses with a full sheet of 3/4 inch plywood, height was just below the waist. If I was going to use a Sawzall and I have thought about it, I would use a metal cutting blade since it has about the same number of teeth per inch that a meat saw has. But, I'm sure someone more familiar with this will have a better answer.

A hose nearby would be great, so you can wash the carcass off good before skinning. A neighbor uses his pressure washer.

What are you going to use for skinning? The best knife I have seen used is a carpet knife with a hooked blade.

Bobg

#4 ·
Ok dumb question but I have to ask.....

We have always sent our pigs away, and to sell the meat we will still have to do this. However for the ones we feed ourselves how do you actually do the "deed"...... it may just be another option for us and save on stress for the animal and overheads.

#5 ·
Ok dumb question but I have to ask.....

We have always sent our pigs away, and to sell the meat we will still have to do this. However for the ones we feed ourselves how do you actually do the "deed"...... it may just be another option for us and save on stress for the animal and overheads.
you mean how to kill them? if you don't have a gun to shoot them, you can use a hammer hit them in the head to knock them out and then cut there throat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.