What's in the Glove Box?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Old John, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Y'All,
    We took DSW's pickup in for work, 2 weeks ago, and I went to clean out
    behind the seat & the glove box. It's Winter in Indiana, so........
    There was an extra blanket, gloves, warm cap, jacket, big enough for me
    or her, bug-out bag, with canteen, pistol belt, K-bar, IN map, energy bars, candle lantern, matches, lighter & firestarter in plastic bag, and a multi-tool.
    Oh and a couple bottles of water, frozen, fusee flares, and a specl. forces
    E-tool with all the edges sharpened for multi purposes..
    Glove box had a bottle opener, corkscrew, drop pouch w/ 12 rnds. .357mags.
    extra clip of 9mm's Swiss-army knife, another multi-tool, extra fuses & bulbs.

My truck is just about the same, but I have a box of .357's under the seat
    and a .45 clip.

So, here's the question. What would you find? Are you ready for Winter?
    Yup, when we got the Truck back home, I put it all back. Might save a life.
    Have a good-un.

2. idahocurs

idahocurs Well-Known Member

ready for war or an unplanned over night stay? LOL the back seat has blankets and pillows almost all the time and I always carry a lighter and knife on me I usually have a shotgun or 22 in the truck but that is about all in the cab. I have a "get unstuck box" in the bed that has several straps and chains a couple come alongs a handy man jack and shovel and I am sure alot of other things I am forgetting.

3. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Well in the glove box there is an insurance card, registration card, tire guage, cig lighter, adult size gloves, small flash light, .357mag, and a little multi-tool thingymajig.

In the trunk there is a jack, spare tire, gallon of water, small tool set, a blanket, umbrella, a quart of oil, two child size "snow mobile suits", large flashlight and extra batteries, a log chain (yeah we still tow with those here lol), two pairs of child size gloves, battery operated tire pump, and jumper cables.

4. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

Candy bar wrappers, coffee cups, yesterday's newspaper, some hand tools and window scraper. I don't go far.

5. Old John

Hi Idaho,
    Nope, Hope no Wars, along the way. I do have a CCWpermit tho as does DSW.
    Most of the Family lives 3 or 4 hours away, with a big urban city, twixt here & there. Never quite know, when you are on the road. I always carry rain gear,
    in the truck in summer too.

Wasn't there an old old Boy Scout motto from back in the 40's:
    "Semper Paratus!" meaning "Always Prepared!"
    Sounds good to me. Lotta things could happen on a 4 hour drive.
    Have a good-un.

6. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

Aside from things others have already mentioned, in my truck's toolbox you will find:

Fire extinguisher
    Brake fluid
    Extra coolant
    Folding camp shovel
    Rope
    Emergency 6 pack of PBR
    Can of Fix-a-Flat
    Dry clothes
    New CB antenna that I meant to install last year

7. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Isn't Semper Paratus what the Coast Guard says ... :confused:

That sounds like an awful lot of stuff to get in the glove box! :haha:

We actually have some overalls, a tarp, sleeping bags, walking shoes, matches, jumper cables, trouble lights and ice scrapers, feed bags, baler twine and lots of fossilized French fries in various places around the car. And an atlas. Indiana having two seasons, you know ... winter and road construction. I wish we had a cell phone but we can't afford one.

Happy New Year!
    Ann

8. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Car papers, and about 8 rolls of Sweet Tarts.

9. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Glove Box? not much it's kind of tiny. But in the boxes on back of the truck. Sleeping bag, shovel, gallon water, 3600 calorie bar, flint/magnesium to start fires, extra socks, flashlight, rope, tow strap, air compressor, 12V impact wrench, fix-a-flat 2 cans, beenie-weenies, tarp, knife, jacket and fire extingisher.

10. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Lots of Weapons and EXTRA ammo i notice! :haha: Mines not in the glove box though.Its illegal here.(if loaded or just out of site=considered a concealed weapon) So my 38 is wired in holster (loaded) under the seat so it at least has to be looked for. :rolleyes: ) of any patrol man that might be wanting to see registration or what not.(Whats in the glove box? ) Good lord what is in the glove box?I have no idea, LOL its full of some sort of important paper work I'm sure. :D Had a hard time shutting it last i opened it.
    But just as a note you guys might consider carrying your fire arm some where else. ;) My mother recently got a warning about hers being loaded and in the glove box.Only a warning because the cop had doughts it would even fire.Green bullets in a lord noes how old a 22cal. pistol. (Green bullets):D When he opened the cylinder it fell out in his hand.(He thought it was broken,hence the reason he also figured it wouldn't fire.LOL) It was made so as the cylinder comes out like that when you pull the pin,but he was to young to no that.. ;) Trust me it works,although I'm also doughting the effectiveness/power of them green bullets myself. She really needs to replace them.Mines shiny new so i no they will work. ;)

Why is it illegal to have a fire arm (loaded or not) out of site of anyone/or law enforcement.Its my god forsaken vehicle for Pete's sake. :rolleyes: Oh sure i feel safe since the cops are only a phone call away and 30 mins or so.(Please hold on dear felon I'm on the phone with the cops,and awaiting there arrival. :rolleyes: ) Ill vote for a big loaded weapon any day. And a shovel might also come in handy. :D

11. Clara Bell

Clara Bell Well-Known Member

Which box. The 74 Ford WK just bought from me had some 2 and a half inch caliber from Jimmy using the truck for a while.
    I'll check the other vehicles tomorrow.
    Is this a man's purse thing?

12. Old John

Hi Y'all,
    Couplea things I forgot, First-aid kit, can of fix-a-flat, & a 3-cell Mag-light
    under each of our truck seats.

I also have a fabric bag of bungee cords & ratchet tie-down straps in mine, along w/ a basic tool-box full,
    DSW has a fiberglass shell on her truck, so she has no need of tie-downs.
    I was just curious how "Prepared" Folks are.
    Yup, I believe in "Self-Reliance".
    Have a good-un.

13. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

"Indiana having two seasons, you know ... winter and road construction"

Here here!!!
    The orange barrels were still in place with 20 something inches of snow. Amazing what kind of projects they can come up with. when comedians come to the Funny Bone the thing they ALL talk about is "stoplights on the expressway". Its sort of like a teenager with training wheels on thier mountian bike.

In our glove boxes we carry basic tools, sunglasses, asprin, fuses...its still hunting season so there'll be a couple changes of clothes, first aid, propane and a lantern, guns/bow and arrows,sleeping bags, basic hunting supplies....hubby's work bucket of tools, flash lights, shovels, jack...the list goes on. im suprised we all fit after the stuff goes in.

14. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Funny you should ask. I checked the glove box a few days ago to pull out a map and found it was packed with shredded paper. Apparently the mouse that has been eating corn out of the sack in my trunk prefers to live in the bedroom community of my glove box.