What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, Jun 15, 2004.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I am just wondering what name you all have given to your Farm or Ranch or Homestead. I am thinking of calling my little farm Pine Mountain Farm? :)

2. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    "Bag End"

We are at the end of a road. Eventually we're going to put a round wooden door with a doorknob in the center of it in our gate. We have some other ideas too.

3. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

4. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

If I would name my piece of land, it would have to be called 'Stoney Acres'.
    You cannot dig any where without hitting stones. In fact the house is out of the ground about three feet more then planned due to a large large rock. It barely meet code with the footer. I also have a $400.00 rock pile next to the drain field. It took that much extra work to dig it. The whole perimeter of the lawn is lined with a stone wall that my husband built.

5. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

6. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Falcon Ridge....ex chose first word, I chose 2nd. I would change it but already had it put on my address stamp. When it wears out, I'll let y'all pick the new first name....we have rabbits, geese, chickens, pines and a cypress swamp.

7. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

When my exwife and I first started as commercial gardeners I registered as Green Acre Truckgarden Patch. After our divorce when green acre was just mine, I registered as Singletree Knoll BISF to reflect my current marital status and still pulling the same old wagon , but using a singletree harness instead of a doubletree and team. Plus there is a 70 year old single oak tree with a 10 foot thick base trunk that canopy covers my whole house :)

8. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

Idle acres, because it's so peaceful. Well, most of the time. ;)

9. Or how about Barrel Springs Farm - barrel springs is our road and also a known landmark is the barrel springs stock tank waterer on forest service land:?

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Always loved the name 'Thistlethwaite'. Maybe my next place I'll plant lots of thistles so I can call it that. Try saying 'Thistlethwaite' ten times fast!

Actually, I really do want to grow milk thistle to sell the seeds for liver health.

11. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

12. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow it's hard to belive that it was only a month ago that that thread was going! We have a lot of new people now, so maybe they'd like to tell their stories.

My son from Green Bay, WI, named our place. He was overwhelmed by the vastness of the countryside since he lives in a mobile home park! he looked around, saw the hill to the west of us and said "Gloryhill Farm"!

13. Cindy in IL

Cindy in IL Well-Known Member

We went round and round with different names and after a couple of years finally chose "Twin Maples". The twin maples in our yard were obviously in our face the whole time, we said how much we loved those trees a hundred times before we realized it had to be the name!

14. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

Still trying to decide on a name for my yet-unfinished cabin in the woods.
    Options include:
    Tangle Top
    Dreamer's Eyrie
    Hope's Hill
    Whippoorwill Ridge
    Mountain Thyme
    The Bells and Ivy

Also: Knocaislin (Irish--hill of dreams "Nock-aish-lin) and Kilaislin (dreamwood)

15. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

A creek borders our place on three sides so it's Creekside Mini Farm.

16. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I read all the info you folks pointed out and it was very interesting. And here I thought I was the only one who could not make up my mind on a name. Right now we do not call it anything at all except our home. Next year I will begin adding livestock and would like to name the place too. Our neighbors sortof refer to there place as "the ground", and the next nearest is "Moonstar Ranch" I don't want something cutsy would rather have something meaningful to my DH and me. You all have come up with some wonderful names and the stories to go along with it!

17. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

well with all the rain, it needs to be named "H e l l"

since everyday something is going wrong I have to reengineer I call it "dysfunction junction".

18. Biskit

Biskit New Member

Our place is Bullhead Ranch

I tell the story of my bullheaded wife...she tells the story of her bullheaded husband...it fits! :)

19. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Wild Horse Acres - in honor of our ornery Mustang.

20. jacksun

jacksun Active Member

fruit cake farm because all of the people that live on my farm are nuts.