Whats in a name?!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Firethorn, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

Hi all.
    I was hopeing that there were some that might help with a nameing problem we are haveing. What ? Our home to be. Any language for ranch, holding, farm, homestead, village, etc. Would 'shire' work? I want it to have a mystical tone, feel to it. What are some terms used in the middle ages?
    if you need more info let me know. Thanks.
    Mrs C.

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

So, how many acres is this spread that you want to give a name to?

3. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

wot 'e sed.

How big, wot sort of stuff 'u got (like fruit or meadow or wot?)

4. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

We want to give our house a name back in the States when we get one, like all the English homes (sometimes dagnabit on a street with 300 houses when you're trying to find 'Blackthorns' amongst them all!). Our favorite is "Sandy Bottoms" if we've got a sandy stream or beach at all. Seriously think Prince's Rest would be good, or the Bor Den (puns on our names)

Shires is a big swath of England- it isn't a small home name it's for several counties- like Hampshire where I live or Wiltshire. Think "Midwest" or "the South". How about the name of the house in the Hobbit or some other book?

Addresses of my English friends: 'Green Hedges' Abbey Cottage 'Norwest House' 1 Kingfisher Close 2 Sundoura Cottages Byfields 12 Alders Court Craven Cottage Blindman's Gate Cottage The Shieling 12 Bere Hill Nine Springs 2 Godwin Close The Hyde 'Queen Anne Cottage' The Beeches 4 Court Farm Cottages Kimpton Lodge Summerhayes The Bungalow 7 Stoney Lane 1 Alswitha Terrace 18 Cranworth Rd 'Tanglewood' Red Lane House 'Rose Cottage' Crabtrees 'Longmead House' 'The White House' Grange Cottage Tangledown 24 Bryanston Rd 1 Ratts Cottages 19 Lynch Hill Park
    2 Church Cottages 2 Lynford Way 11 St James Gardens 83 Middle Mead 50 Cyprus Road 20 Battle Road Tithe End Keepers Cottage 17 Portacre Rise 'Lye Farm' 29 Armour Rd Edgefield' 23 Painters Field 'Nonesuch' 2 Rank Cottages Marbury' Fieldgate Abbey Cottage 'Saddlers Cottage' 1 Ducks Cottages 'Staddlestones' 1 The Coverts 23 Hurstbourne Priors 'Quail Cottage' 10 Altona Gardens 23 Tasmania Close 4 Milner Place Thistle Cottage Froyle Cottage Rose Cottage Double Dutch 3 Southview Cottages North Down Orchard Timsbury 'Sharveshill Farm Cottage' 46 Kilham Lane 1 Rectory Place 'Lynwood' The Anchorage Springside Farm The Weir The Orchard Weston Corner 'Sladen Green' Long House Cottage Fox Warren Ferny Hoolet The Laurels 'Merrion' 'Sharveshill Farm Cottage' Set Aside Craven Cottage Brockwood Park Cedar Cottage 35 The Garth 12 Hazelcombe 'Plum Cottage' Blindman's Gate Molescroft

(Though most are houses not farms)

5. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Theres a wonderfully funny play about a wildly disfunctional family called Cold Comfort Farm. I always thought that would be a fine name. ;) Bergere is a word often used in France for a farm, particularly if they raise sheep. ive considered Folio's Bergere for my place in Missouri. :baby04:

6. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Firethorn,

Names take time. You might need to just let the home-to-be "grow" on you. :shrug:

Our place is tentatively called Palazzo Rospo. That's as close as we could come to Italian for "Toad Hall".

Why?

'cause there are a gazillion frogs here (or were, until the dog ate them 'til he threw them up... he still eats them but is learning moderation). Plus we saw a badger here early on, and we like Wind in the Willows, and Mr. Turtlehead drives like... well, suffice it to say that the name fit for many reasons. ;)

Why Italian? No reason, really. It didn't sound as good in German :D Plus DH lived in Italy for a short while.

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I hope you do raise a few sheep Mark you'll find whatever help you need on the sheep board here!!! Is that play available on DVD??? Bergere is an HT sheep board co-mod so I think thats a terrific name!

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

We called our place Beannacht, which is Irish Gaelic for God's Blessing.

Pony!

9. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Lake House

Growing up - our modest Chesapeake Bay weekend getaway- Chateau D"agneaux (House of the Lambs) A reference to our Scottish name.

On the other hand every single one of our cars has been named...

10. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    ROSS:

I first saw Cold Comfort Farm as a play on PBS as a teen and fell in love with it.
    Its a weirdly funny in a British way sort of a play. Theres a wonderful movie version starring Kate Beckinsdale and others available on DVD and vid. Heres the listing for it on IMBD and Im sure you could find it at a good vid store or on amazon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112701/

Enjoy.

11. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Our place is "Dutch Highlands Farm". I'm Dutch, we raise Highlands. What kind of topography is the Netherlands NOT known for?
    Cold Comfort Farm is a great movie.

12. Mountain Mick

Mountain Mick Well-Known Member

Baree, Mount Morgan, Queensland Australia
    Hi You could try Glen ""Firethron Glen"" or Keep ""Dragons Keep"" or ""Firethron Keep"" These are both middle ages. We had a little place a few years ago that we named ""Crept myrtle Cottage on Mango Mountain"". Also Nest like ""the Eagles Nest"", ""Robbins Nest"" Den like ""Lions Den"". Or just a name . Friend of ours place is well a way from the entry so their have called they place ""WELBAK"" and a mate got me to make a Iron sign with ""NODETUBET"" And I made a sign few year ago for a fellow "NOBANKS" .... Our Place has been "Karmic Aviaries"" for over twenty year now. And our House is "Karmic Cottage"" My business is ""Karmic Entreprises"" and my Pottery Gallery is ""Basilisk Gallery"".

I hope you find a name for you little piece of paradise.

13. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I guess if you are going to raise sheep, you could call it "Ewe Buggars" !

14. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

My little farm is 'Cyngbaeld's Keep' (prounouned Kingbold's Keep) heritage poultry farm. It is the Old English spelling and punctuation of my last name.

15. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Here is an idea.

Go to http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr and type in a description of your place, i.e. "cottage in the woods" or "villa by the sea" or "maybe farm in the meadow". Then translate it from English into Spanish, then Spanish into French, then French into German and then back to English (or whichever languages you prefer) and see what you come up with. It's very entertaining!

I put in "Cottage in the Woods" and it came back "Livestock in the Forest" Go figure.

Donsgal

16. TC2

TC2 Active Member

Well, that was interesting.
    As DH and I are looking into 14 acres of planted pines, with a cabin in the future, thought I'd try it out.

Well, the French aren't to happy with it. Or maybe they're too happy?

Cabin in the pines, French to English. Go see, but remember, you were warned!

17. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

donsgal, what a hoot! I put in 'King bold's Keep heritage poultry farm' and came out with:

The birds of capoeira of heir of maintenance of the king explore substance fat

18. Merrique

Merrique Well-Known Member

The name of our place is Shadowdancer Farm. It's named for my love of the night and scary stuff and also for Kokopelli, the dancing Indian trickster hero. Other names i considered were:

Rivendell, Shadow Ridge( I live at the very top of the highest ridge around), Goblin's Knob, Tinker's Ridge, Mountain Rest, and Endless Hopes Farm. I even thought about calling it High Hopes (the name of the house in the Amityville Horror movies). There's also a house in the Harry Potter books called the Burrow, which I always liked.

19. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

About 77 acs. In the mountains, organic (anything-everything) , made of stone and wood, Highlands, hounds, sheep, birds, pig, children, guests, Brabants, horse worked, a unicorn or two. ;) All in the makeing. Oh yes, BLUE. That about does it. Except for the whole romantic feel of the place. Like going back to Renaissance times.
    Please dont you doom sayers ruin the head in the clouds state of mind. I like it hear. :viking: :cowboy:

20. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

A Scottish farm would be a "croft" - nice old word. Or how about "dale", "hill", "dun"?

My little (very little ;) ) farm is "Pook's Hollow" - lots of Pook's Hills or Puxhills in Britain, never came across a Pook's Hollow though.