Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides water?

Saturday I noticed blood on the toilet paper, and the beginnings of a backache. Went to the clinic today, and there was no blood in my urine and the nurse practitioner is openly skeptical of my being able to tell which exit the blood came from.

Well, I can tell the difference, and it did issue from the urethra, and is there anything good I can do for my kidneys while I'm waiting for the urine culture to return from the lab? Thanks.

L

·
0 Posts
Watermelon and asparagus are both good.

Also cornsilks brewed into tea, and you can boil watermelon seeds and drink the water.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
cranberry juice has always been recomended to me by doc and my nurse aunt when I've had a kidney problem. And no caffine drinks.

Angie

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright--cranberry juice, check.

Question about the watermelon and asparagus--those are both diuretics, aren't they? Why are diuretics of that type good, and caffeine bad? I'm not trying to be a smarty, I'm just trying to understand the theory behind it.

Is taking vitamin C good, or bad?

Thanks, guys. :)

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Sounds like a kidney stone to me. Had the experiance myself.
(not a Dr. nor do I claim to be one on the internet.)

Lots and lots of h2o. Low on the meat and high on the veggies. Not much else you can do about it... i've been told.

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
I don't know if this would help you, but I was feeling as if I had a urthea minor infection, going a lot, etc. Sunday I started taking about 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar (as much as I could get down) - before bed and in the morning. Sunday night, got about 1 tbsp down, and then Mon morning the same. Monday was better than I'd been all previous week. Today about back to usual.

Might help, couldn't hurt to try.

Angie

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boy, I hope it's not a kidney stone! My back isn't super painful, mostly just uncomfortable, so I haven't been thinking of kidney stones.

Apple cider vinegar, that I can do. My, that's tart.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
cranberry buchu is helpful, it has helped heal many infections in my bladder and kidneys. the cranberry targets the infection and the buchu makes peeing hurt less and reduces inflammation.

Katrina

L

·
0 Posts
Bink said:
Question about the watermelon and asparagus--those are both diuretics, aren't they? Why are diuretics of that type good, and caffeine bad?
Caffeine is an irritant. Asparagus and watermelon have chemicals that actually pull toxins out of the system.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I like Northland Cranberry Juice because it has no added sugar in it. For kidney stones lemon juice is supposed to be helpful.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ladycat said:
Caffeine is an irritant. Asparagus and watermelon have chemicals that actually pull toxins out of the system.
Okay, that makes sense. Thank you. :)

I plan to get some cranberry juice today and maybe a watermelon. I am slugging back the apple cider in the meantime. Mm, tangy! The clinic's supposed to call with the results today if the culture shows any infection.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
FYI...the Corn Silk used for such an issue has a botanical name of ZEA MAYS, (AKA Indian Corn) the part used is the GREEN PISTILS OF THE FLOWER.
This is what Mt. Rose says about it's use:"Summary
Corn silk relieves a wide range of conditions characterized by urinary inflammation. It is especially useful in treating inflammation caused by bacterial infection. A complex polysaccharide in the silk activates macrophages (white blood cells) to engulf and dissolve infectious microorganisms. The volatile oils neutralize fungi and yeast.
Corn silk is both diuretic and kaliuretic, that is, it encourages retention of sodium and excretion of potassium. Not everyone benefits from excretion of potassium, but people with chronic fatigue, adrenal burnout, and generally "cold" symptoms may."

If there are Kidney stones present "I" would try an infusion of Nettle, Cleavers, Juniper Berry and Comfrey...sipping on this throughout the day for a couple of weeks REALLY helped me pass one stone and dissolve another.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts