Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
23,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This cold weather does make a person want to cook. Let's see Saturday we had cheeseburger pie and a cheddar beer soup along with some fresh vegetables. Sunday we had venison steaks, fried potatoes, spinach and tomato salad, cottage cheese and raspberry cobbler for dessert. Last night we had french toast, sausage, and sliced oranges. I am still thinking about tonight's meal. Maybe some of you will give me some ideas.

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
I still have left over caramelized onion and potato tart from last night, but I think to entertain myself in this cold weather I'll scour my cookbook collection and try something new :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
I got out a package of chicken breast to thaw.

I wanted some chicken & rice, but DH won't eat that. I decided to fix a little chicken and rice for the girls & I.
Then for DH & 2 sons fry up a one chicken breast each, make a bit of mashed potatoes and gravy, lima beans, and chocolate pudding for dessert.

Everyone's happy and I don't get stuck eating fried foods.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Hmmm, yesterday was fried chicken, noodles, green beans. Sunday was Italian beef sandwiches, onion rings & cheese sticks. Saturday was meatball sandwiches, salad and french fries. Either milk, iced tea or water to drink for all.

I noticed that we're not eating too healthy for the last few days.....and tonight we're going out to Chili's for a treat! And grocery shopping...:D

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Saturday we had chili. I made fried chicken, mashed potatos, creamed corn and bread and butter pickles Sunday. Yesterday made some french bread and had it with beef and lentils. The kids want tacos tonight but I don't have any ground meat to go with it and don't want to run to the store.

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Tonight, I'm thinking Indian :D

Pakoras and samosa to start, then some rice, dhal, tamatar aloo, dry curried veg with chick peas, naan, and maybe some butter chicken or a venison curry, if I'm feeling productive after I get everything else made.

I love cooking Indian dishes, as most of them freeze beautifully, and reheat tasting better than they did the first time around! It also helps that you use VERY basic ingredients, and everything stores well, and they're packed full of nutrition. A great deal of my food storage plan is based around basic Indian dishes.

·
Crazy Dog Lady
3,436 Posts
As we speak my (unemployed) roommate is making chili for dinner. He makes it with ground beef, hot pork sausage, red kidney beans, and all sorts of spices. Will be served with garlic bread from Schwans that his mom gave us last time she came by to visit (so it was free!).

Fingers crossed that he gets a job soon... His cooking may be awesome but we need the $$$$

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Tonight, I'm thinking Indian :D

Pakoras and samosa to start, then some rice, dhal, tamatar aloo, dry curried veg with chick peas, naan, and maybe some butter chicken or a venison curry, if I'm feeling productive after I get everything else made.

I love cooking Indian dishes, as most of them freeze beautifully, and reheat tasting better than they did the first time around! It also helps that you use VERY basic ingredients, and everything stores well, and they're packed full of nutrition. A great deal of my food storage plan is based around basic Indian dishes.
I love, love, love Indian food, and it's so fun to cook, we eat it all the time.

My spice cabinet is vast, and more than half of it is Indian spices :)

I have a fantastic eggplant biryani recipe I can send you if you like?

It's from a Madhur Jhaffrey book, so you may already have it.

·
joy seeker
1,482 Posts
Pasta sauce simmerin' away in there on the stove as we speak...supper will be spaghetti n cheesy garlic bread with that sauce n the rest of a yellow cake I made the other day for dessert/snack.

I'm the same way about the weather making me want to cook.

I'm a bit restricted in the amounts I can cook at the moment--the fridge in this rental house died n they don't want to replace it. We're moving in about 5 weeks to our new home that HAS a fridge, so we're making do with a small 'dorm' fridge for the moment. It does the job but tis quite challenging for leftovers and it means I have no freezer at all!!

~~

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
I am going to have chicken and noodles, mashed potatoes, glazed carrots and biscuits. Will have to fix something in place of chicken and noodles for dh, he won't eat chicken.
I'm not sure on dessert. Maybe a scottish shortbread. Tea to drink.

·
Premium Member
18,155 Posts
Last night I whipped up some Pad Thai. It was delicious!

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Mmmmm.... Pad Thai.... I haven't had that in a while! Recipe?

Tiempo -- I'd love your recipe for eggplant biryani. I'm always on the lookout for new recipes, and especially vegetarian ones! When I was renovating our kitchen, the guy who came to install my cabinets couldn't understand why I wanted all my uppers in a bank along one wall, over the worktop, but then a double, extra tall cabinet upper near the stove with no worktop under it. It was for my spices :) I have OOODLES of spices, and use them a LOT. We like spicy food, and I enjoy experimenting. An afternoon of heaven, to me, is to let me loose in a well-stocked ethnic grocery. In the end, half my cart is generally filled with spices!

·
Always Thinking
3,296 Posts
Tonight it's Broiled Talapia Fillets And Bay Seasoned Shrimp, Mixed Wild & Aromatic Rice (leftover from last night), Fresh Salad. Fruit for dessert again (gotta love a diet food plan :) )

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Taco salads.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
hmm - tonight was leftovers supreme.......spaghetti omelette using up leftover spaghetti and part of a tin of luncheon meat left over from a pizza. And bread pudding which will also do us as a cake for the rest of the week. I love that feeling when dinner comes from "nowhere" :D

hoggie

1 - 20 of 123 Posts