What's eating my eggplants?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Hears The Water, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey all, I planted two eggplants just for fun this year and the leaves look awful. They look all lacey and tan. Anyone have eggplants like this? I know that the term "lacey " is a bit vague, so if I need to go back out to see what is up, what should I look for to aid in identifying the problem? I have never grown this before and am pretty much a novice in the garden at all. Any and all help would be appreceated.
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

2. Bill in Tn

Bill in Tn Active Member

Sounds like flea beetles. Look real close and see if there are tiny black quick-moving bugs. Two week old banty chicks will clean them up for you.

3. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Flea beetles looooooove eggplant. You can also try water+ soap+ slightest touch of veg oil and spray the leaves. Or remay row covers. Or just plant more. I always plant eggplant as a trap plant -- flea beetles go there and never leave, so my other plants are safe from their wrath.

4. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

But don't put the Remay on OVER the problem....you'll just give them flea buggerbeatles a nice home :) Use Remay next year when you set them out.