Whats eating my cabbage leaves?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by wiggles12, Oct 5, 2006.

1. wiggles12

wiggles12 Active Member

I planted 12 cabbage plants last week and I've lost 4 already. The leaves are being eating off right down the the main stem. These are new transplants, so I doubt they will live and come back.

I live in Central Texas.

Thanks

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Mine too. I planted mine from seed but something is really tearing them up. I have chickens on patrol but there is lots of damage(not from the chickens). I dont know, yet, what it is.

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Our seedlings are being hit hard by crickets - they lay eggs in the damp soil and then hatch out and munch. :flame:

4. wiggles12

wiggles12 Active Member

I have free range chickens which patrol that area daily, and I generally don't see crickets, but I hear them at night.

Would a dose of 7 dust help? I generally don't like to use chemicals, but I am sick and tired of losing my crops to pests.

5. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Mostly the crickets hide during the day and eat at night - our chickens love to eat any they can get too, but I have to keep them off the seed beds or they would do just as much damage as the crickets. I don't know about using pesticides because we are organic. Our answer has been to keep replanting.

6. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

wiggles, I dont know if you want your chickens eating crickets with sevin dust in their systems. That is a problem for me as I dont want it. I wonder if its not grasshoppers or some larva.

7. wiggles12

wiggles12 Active Member

I don't want to use prestisides either, as I've been organic for many years now and all "chemicals" that I used prior to that were pyrethims (sp) bought at the nursery where the hippy organic people work.

I do have a small problem with grasshoppers and maybe will try some of the natural cures that I have read about........ here are a few that I remember.

Spread pantyhose out, they get caught in the nylon and can't get free, sprinkle ground with flour - I guess that can't digest it.

Anyone else?????? Maybe I will spread a panty hose net out of pipe cleaners and hose over my transplants. I will keep everyone posted.

8. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

Might be cabbage worms. They are pretty hard to see, they can blend right in with the stem so you really have to look for them. Some type of yellow moth lays the eggs.
    Sometimes if you look for the poop on the cabbage leaves, you will see the worm right above it. (Same for horned worms/tomato worms). I pick them off by hand then throw them to the chickens. Or you can carry a cup of soapy water and put the worms in there.

9. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I caught my chickens doing at least part of the damage this weekend. One must be very wary of their allies in this business.