Homesteading Forum banner
14121 - 14140 of 14201 Posts

· Premium Member
23,247 Posts
Yesterday, I made red gravy (sauce) with meatballs.

Tried something different with the meatballs (saw it on Cook's Country).

Get the gravy/sauce simmering pretty good, then form the meatballs and drop them right into the sauce. Worked GREAT.

We're cutting back on carbs, so I served the marinara and meatballs over shiitake noodles.

Good thing I made a double batch. Mmm!

· Premium Member
23,247 Posts
Made some goat liver for breakfast (so good!) and used the extra to attempt a pate'. Meh. Edible, but not great.

DH needs to eat some organ meat, but he's not thrilled with liver. I have a heart marinating right now, going to cook it in a few minutes. Plan to saute' in butter, with a bit of onion/garlic/rosemary. I'll throw some thinly sliced cabbage into the pan after I remove the meat, cook that with some mushrooms while the meat sets.

· Registered
3,513 Posts
Made some goat liver for breakfast (so good!) and used the extra to attempt a pate'. Meh. Edible, but not great.

DH needs to eat some organ meat, but he's not thrilled with liver. I have a heart marinating right now, going to cook it in a few minutes. Plan to saute' in butter, with a bit of onion/garlic/rosemary. I'll throw some thinly sliced cabbage into the pan after I remove the meat, cook that with some mushrooms while the meat sets.
I normally hit the like button to posts in this thread, but I just can’t…. I hope you understand.

· Premium Member
23,247 Posts
I normally hit the like button to posts in this thread, but I just can’t…. I hope you understand.
LOL!

I get it. My hurtings aren't feeled. ;)

Reactions: 67drake

· Premium Member
23,247 Posts
I'm thinking tomorrow will be smoked chicken. At the same time I'm smoking the bird, I may pop a rump roast in there, too.

· Registered
4,749 Posts
Leftovers and leftovers tonight.

I made a big batch of diced and blanched potatoes for the freezer. Super fast for future hash browns I’m hoping.

Tomorrow, a “Spoon roast”, and now to look up how I made it last time, very tender if I remember right.
Maybe some pierogis from the freezer, and a veggie on the side.

I want to try making sourdough tortillas, they are still quite a challenge for me, maybe tomorrow.

· Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Lots of good ideas here. Yesterday I heated up a small roast with gravy sold in a vacuum sealed bag. It was the first time I'd bought that brand and I'm not sure I'll do it again,unless they come on sale as I like my homemade version better, these can just be convenient. Anyway, I boiled a couple potatos and carrots and mashed them together as a side. We ate that a lot as children, in Holland it's called "Stamppot" (two "p's") - potatos and carrots or kale/swiss chard mashed together then served with gravy and shredded beef or sausage. Cheap way to give a big family a little meat and lots of veg. It's a real comfort food. It's also great he-heated which is what I'm going to do in an hour or so. I have a couple apples ready to go into my toaster oven to bake.

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Lots of good ideas here. Yesterday I heated up a small roast with gravy sold in a vacuum sealed bag. It was the first time I'd bought that brand and I'm not sure I'll do it again,unless they come on sale as I like my homemade version better, these can just be convenient. Anyway, I boiled a couple potatos and carrots and mashed them together as a side. We ate that a lot as children, in Holland it's called "Stamppot" (two "p's") - potatos and carrots or kale/swiss chard mashed together then served with gravy and shredded beef or sausage. Cheap way to give a big family a little meat and lots of veg. It's a real comfort food. It's also great he-heated which is what I'm going to do in an hour or so. I have a couple apples ready to go into my toaster oven to bake.
potatoes and carrots mashed together sound tasty. I wonder how they would be mashed together and then browned in a little butter.

My wife has been out of town this week, so it is interesting what is craved by my kids. :)

Last night my 23 yo wanted and cooked himself some hot dogs, my other kids wanted cheese tortellini's with marinara sauce. Then for me, I cooked up something no one else in the house will eat - bacon wrapped and cheese stuffed jalapenos. We all enjoyed a unique supper.

· Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Since my last post:
Sorry Pony I'm with 67drake about the organ meats.... deflnitely not in my house..
Ruralman - don't know if'n I'd "like" your post seeing they are "out".....

Anyway, made chicken stuffed shells yesterday, DD came in and polished them off sooo...
No more left-overs so I guess I'll make chicken soup with whats left from the roasted chicken...

· Registered
3,513 Posts
Yesterday was leftover corned beef at work.
Lat night there was abig wrestling tournament at our sons school. This is a huge part of the wrestling teams budget to buy uniforms. So there is a concession stand and silent auction. The wife and I worked there from beginning to end. So I pretty much ate a little of everything there. 2 slices of pizza, that were surprisingly good, I made myself a “walking taco” with extra meat,and a variety of homemade cookies.
In the silent auction I won two different gift certificates to our towns diner, so I see eating there this weekend too.

· Registered
4,749 Posts
Quesadillas and a salad with diced chicken for lunch.

Beef sandwiches on buns with horseradish sauce for dinner, we found Arby’s sauces at the store last time we were out. We also have those Famous Dave’s pickles mentioned a while back, so pickles included on my sandwich, should be interesting :)

We’ve been watching a couple (Polish your Kitchen) on you tube and every so often they take you out and about in Poland, they go to stores, restaurants, and parks.
This is where we learned that Mac Donald’s in Poland puts a horseradish sauce on sausage McMuffins, DH wanted to try that since we have English muffins on hand.

A batch of zucchini “meatballs” for tomorrow, not sure what they will be sauced with, but it sure won’t include anything with horseradish.

· Premium Member
1,808 Posts
potatoes and carrots mashed together sound tasty. I wonder how they would be mashed together and then browned in a little butter.

My wife has been out of town this week, so it is interesting what is craved by my kids. :)

Last night my 23 yo wanted and cooked himself some hot dogs, my other kids wanted cheese tortellini's with marinara sauce. Then for me, I cooked up something no one else in the house will eat - bacon wrapped and cheese stuffed jalapenos. We all enjoyed a unique supper.
I can tell you from experience that browned potato/carrot patties are delicious too, as is pretty much anything fried in butter :) That's what would happen with leftovers, usually with one egg added to the mix to tighten it up.

· Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Tomorrow is Lunar New Year and I spent a bit of time in my local Chinatown which is decorated up like Christmas, only everything is red and gold. I did some shopping for Chinese ingredients I use often;then I stepped into one bright and spacious grocery and had to flee. They were offering samples of a fruit called Durian which has a reputation for a foul smell, yet delicious sweet and savory custard taste. Honestly, I will try most things once, often twice but I could not get past that odour and left. I could smell it, in my mind and nose, for hours. It's very popular so must be something you just get used too.
I came home and emptied a can of Bush's baked beans into a small casserole dish with diced bacon, onion, tomato and green bell pepper and a drizzle of molasses on top and stuck that in the oven for a while. Easy dinner and the leftover portion will be good at breakfast with a scrambled egg.

14121 - 14140 of 14201 Posts