Homesteading Forum banner
13581 - 13600 of 13601 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
This morning saw my usual dose of strong black coffee, with some toast with peanut butter. Lunch was a nice mixed lettuce salad that was topped with some grape tomatoes from the garden, some grapes, pecans, pepper jack cheese, and a raspberry vinaigrette (sorry alida haven't purchased the black currant balsamic vinegar yet :) ).

Supper tonight was au gratin potatoes with ham.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Chipped beef on English muffins for breakfast, Pulled pork sandwich for lunch and burgers for dinner.
A cucumber onion salad, and DH will probably want fries with his burger.

Bacon tomato and thin sliced cucumber sandwiches for dinner tomorrow, all out of lettuce here, but we might go out tomorrow.
Possibly on homemade Kaiser rolls, I want to give making them a try this evening, but it depends on how the day goes.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Chipped beef on English muffins for breakfast, Pulled pork sandwich for lunch and burgers for dinner.
A cucumber onion salad, and DH will probably want fries with his burger.

Bacon tomato and thin sliced cucumber sandwiches for dinner tomorrow, all out of lettuce here, but we might go out tomorrow.
Possibly on homemade Kaiser rolls, I want to give making them a try this evening, but it depends on how the day goes.
Hmmmm……chipped beef. One of those things I haven’t had for a long time and sounds appetizing.
I found out yesterday that wifey ordered some “Hello Fresh” that was delivered yesterday. It’s expensive, but she knew we were going to be busy as heck the next couple weeks. I always thought their food tasted pretty good, and if you don’t have the time to run out and buy and plan meals…..
So we had some chicken dish with some cheese and breading on it,, spicy seasoned carrots, and some obscure grain. :) I forgot what they called it, but it was very good!
Bonus pic, my son and I last week at parents day.
Food Ingredient Tableware Recipe Mixture
Sports uniform Football equipment Sports jersey American football Jersey

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Today I was out for brunch with a friend, and I’m still not hungry eight hours later.
It rained this afternoon so I made beef stew with lots of vegetables that I planned to make yesterday. That’s for tomorrow. I was still in the mood to cook and realized that a bowl of plums was getting too ripe. Seven jars of jam later and I’m done. The unsealed jar is for the fridge while most of the rest will be gifts.

Dinner tonight? Right now plain unsweetened yogurt is sounding pretty good.
Food Tableware Rangpur Ingredient Fruit

Food Ingredient Frying pan Recipe Cookware and bakeware

Drinkware Product Food storage containers Tin Material property

·
Premium Member
2,971 Posts
Made scalloped potatoes with ham for yesterday's evening meal. Sadly, I polished what was left bout midnight - no real breakfast this A.M. other then coffee and O.J.
Discovered 2 very large green peppers, that I bought the other day and forgot about, so am thinking stuffed peppers for tonight. It's been a while since I've made them....
Now if I only knew what I'll do for lunch. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I made the Kaiser rolls today, there is a stamp for the familiar kaiser roll pattern that I don’t own, or even knew existed before today, so they were shaped instead, then I read you could just press an apple corer/slicer into the balls of dough for a good substitute for the stamp. next time I’ll try that.
I gave it my best shot..
Food Ingredient Staple food Bread roll Dish

Food Wood Recipe Tableware Ingredient

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
We had a grilling mishap yesterday, DH incinerated our strips of bacon by mistake, he stepped away and poof!
I thought he was joking when he came in with the plate and said “ I messed up”.
It happens, we had ham sandwiches on the rolls instead.

Split pea soup with Canadian bacon in the crock pot tonight.
Something new too, Canadian bacon hash on the side.
It has celery seed and nutmeg as ingredients which seem like a strange pairing and ingredients to me, but I’ll try it.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
@doozie I read the hash recipe and comments It seems that people all liked it, though some didn't add the nutmeg. Did you enjoy it? I love diced sweet potatos in the oven, I'm sure this recipe with bacon is better!
I put some of the leftover stew I made a coupld days ago in the freezer, and added more beef stock, some noodles and a cup of other diced vegetables to what was left to make beef vegetable soup. I'll make some biscuits from a mix and have those with the soup. Yogurt for dessert with a little bit of the plum jam I made this week.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Tonight we attended a pot luck at a friends house. I had smoked a brisket overnight - and brought that to share - then there were also mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, cole slaw, corn pudding (like a cornbread but very moist), some sautéed zucchini, baked beans, and yeast rolls. There were cookies, smores, and cheesecake for dessert. Now i feel like I need to go to sleep, lol.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Alida, the Hash was very good, I didn’t have a green pepper, but used a pepper from the garden that had mild heat, enough that I didn’t even notice the celery seed or nutmeg that was added.
Plenty left over, and a do again.

Today I’m going to try making hard rolls for Italian beef sandwiches tonight.

I also went to the corn stand one last time (again) yesterday, she is officially closing for the season this weekend.

I want to make Street Corn Salad, I’ll skip the cilantro and won’t miss it myself.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Bonus baking, I wanted to make homemade breakfast/snack bars, store bought just keep getting more expensive, smaller and tasteless to me. We usually have them on hand to grab if we leave early to go somewhere and don’t have time for a sit down breakfast.
I made these cookies, which are something similar to what I was looking for and I can really taste the apple!

I Froze half for later, and they have to be stored in the fridge.

The hard rolls seem to have turned out great.

I feel like a mad scientist lately when baking something new, baking was always a mystery to me years ago, not worth the effort, failures, phooey…..now it’s measure, mix, wait, and experiment result is usually pretty good.
I’m having fun, cheap thrills!

Food Tableware Ingredient Staple food Recipe

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
This morning, I attended the men's breakfast we had at church (we are getting a new pastor, so this was meet the new pastor weekend). Breakfast was bacon, cooked apples, biscuits and sausage gravy, and coffee. There were other selections there as well - but that is what I had. :D

My wife attended the women's breakfast that was this morning.

For supper tonight, we had a potluck at church. For the dish I had brought to share was baked beans with some brisket and bacon added The meat for tonight's meal was fried chicken, and there was a lot of food choices and dessert choices (each family brought a dish to pass).

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
A piece of gas station pizza for breakfast/lunch, then got busy. Next town over had a fund raiser, “The fall opener”, put on by the Chamber of Commerce. Big auction, silent auction, raffles, ect. All money stays local. Sooo they served prime rib, shrimp on a kabob, mashed potatoes and lots of gravy, as well as some sides. Very good!
Bonus pics- the quilt I bid on, and got for my wife, and a stuffed squirrel riding a stuffed raccoon, that sold for over $1000!
I spent about as much money on the gun raffle tickets, as I did buying the quilt!
Jeans White Organ Human Fashion
Smile Fawn Window Wallaby Event

13581 - 13600 of 13601 Posts