Homesteading Forum banner
13561 - 13580 of 13611 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I had to have some tests in hospital and couldn't eat for 36 hours - just water. I started craving spinach salad of all things, and that was strange because I don't care much for spinach. So what did I have when I was home and could eat? Campbells Vegetable soup, and toast with butter and aged cheddar - one of our families sure cures for what ails you, and it did.
Today was scrambled eggs and toast for brunch, and I have plans for a chicken stirfry this evening using a green curry sauce for seasoning. Some Mocha icecream "needs" to be finished soon before it goes bad so that'll be dessert later.
a spinach salad with some grapes, pecans, and either gorgonzola or feta cheese with either a creamy gorgonzola dressing or a raspberry vinaigrette sounds mighty good.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Tonight for supper was an eclectic mix. My wife wanted the leftover Italian sausage raviolis and garlic bread, two of my kids wanted chicken nuggets and fries (air fryer to the rescue), and my youngest son wanted a burger. So I cooked myself a burger as well, sauteed some onions to go with it, and did some fried okra in the air fryer to go with it. No bun is needed for this beauty.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
a spinach salad with some grapes, pecans, and either gorgonzola or feta cheese with either a creamy gorgonzola dressing or a raspberry vinaigrette sounds mighty good.
A lot of my dislike of spinach is due to the texture of the raw leaves, even baby spinach, when I chew. It almost squeaks between my teeth. I can tolerate it cooked with Indian spices.Go figure.
What you describe sounds very good, with other strong flavoured lettuces.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Oh boy! Woke up at 4AM to go to work, had leftover chili there.
Then got home at 2:30, and went in the dunk tank at 3:00.
After that, game on! Food trucks everywhere in town, and I think I tried them all. I started with a Steaksandwich from our county cattlemen. Followed with a cheese quesadilla from the Mexican truck, then a brisket plate from a local place that does high end food out of a trailer. I then got a Carmel apple. I’m stuffed. Just kicking back watching the non stop country bands, and waiting for fireworks to start!
Tomorrow it starts all over again, and I have to get up early to put up our “No parking” signs along our parade route- early!
Sky Wheel Cloud Tire Automotive tire
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Plate
Tire Wheel Sky Motor vehicle Cloud

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
A lot of my dislike of spinach is due to the texture of the raw leaves, even baby spinach, when I chew. It almost squeaks between my teeth. I can tolerate it cooked with Indian spices.Go figure.
What you describe sounds very good, with other strong flavoured lettuces.
alida - totally understandable about folks having various food likes and dislikes. By chance, do you like rocket? (well I guess most folks call it arugula. I first had it when I lived overseas and everyone there called it rocket, lol 🤪 ) A nice rocket salad with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar is always tasty too. Also lends itself to pair well blended with spinach and other spring mix type lettuces.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
alida - totally understandable about folks having various food likes and dislikes. By chance, do you like rocket? (well I guess most folks call it arugula. I first had it when I lived overseas and everyone there called it rocket, lol 🤪 ) A nice rocket salad with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar is always tasty too. Also lends itself to pair well blended with spinach and other spring mix type lettuces.
I do like arugula/rocket though I don't think I've ever had it on it's own as a salad. It's always mixed with other leaf lettuces. The peppery taste is refreshing and a little less strong than something like radicchio, which I also like in salads. The best dressing I ever had with the above was a blackcurrant vinegarette - a secret recipe of the restaurant that served it (I asked). They went out of business and poof! so did the recipe. Google is our friend and I've made a perfectly acceptable version myself.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I do like arugula/rocket though I don't think I've ever had it on it's own as a salad. It's always mixed with other leaf lettuces. The peppery taste is refreshing and a little less strong than something like radicchio, which I also like in salads. The best dressing I ever had with the above was a blackcurrant vinegarette - a secret recipe of the restaurant that served it (I asked). They went out of business and poof! so did the recipe. Google is our friend and I've made a perfectly acceptable version myself.
Blackcurrant vinaigrette? That sounds very tasty. Do you have a recipe for the version you make? I'm trying not to drool on my keyboard thinking about a salad with a black currant vinaigrette before I even have my coffee this morning. :coffee::geek:

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Food Cabinetry Ingredient Recipe Baked goods

I was wondering what to do with the leftover pineapple slices from last night.
I stumbled on this big upside down pineapple pancake recipe and gave it a try. It turned out well and beats the usual oatmeal I have in the mornings.

Homemade burger buns next up today.

I made Mayo with the stick blender , and it turned out thick for a change, blended for about a minute longer than usual, that must be the trick.

Burgers on the grill for dinner.

Maybe zucchini, onions, tomatoes and cheese in the skillet too. We did have breaded zucchini fries in the air fryer last night and that’s a possibility to use the zucchini too.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Blackcurrant vinaigrette? That sounds very tasty. Do you have a recipe for the version you make? I'm trying not to drool on my keyboard thinking about a salad with a black currant vinaigrette before I even have my coffee this morning. :coffee::geek:
I meant to post earlier and fell asleep! I saw a number of recipes which started with fresh/frozen black currants. Those are costly up my way so I looked and found recipes using black currant vinegar or black currant balsalmic vinegar. I found the balsalmic vinegar in some store around here, and sort of mixed it using bits of several recipies.
Spring Mix Salad with Black Currant Vinaigrette - The Olive Tap Recipes - this is closer.
https://www.savorysuitcase.com/blackcurrant-vinaigrette/
I just add enough oil for my taste,plus the mustard (I've used dijon and dried mustard). The herbs de provence add that "something". One of the recipes calls for honey, I do find that there is a need for a small amount of sweetness though it really depends on your vinegars. I plan to melt some of my overprocessed black currant jam and use that instead,since it has a pretty intense flavour. I don't whisk everything together, I use my immersion blender.

And now it's midnight and I'm thinking that I really want to make this again, soon!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I meant to post earlier and fell asleep! I saw a number of recipes which started with fresh/frozen black currants. Those are costly up my way so I looked and found recipes using black currant vinegar or black currant balsalmic vinegar. I found the balsalmic vinegar in some store around here, and sort of mixed it using bits of several recipies.
Spring Mix Salad with Black Currant Vinaigrette - The Olive Tap Recipes - this is closer.
https://www.savorysuitcase.com/blackcurrant-vinaigrette/
I just add enough oil for my taste,plus the mustard (I've used dijon and dried mustard). The herbs de provence add that "something". One of the recipes calls for honey, I do find that there is a need for a small amount of sweetness though it really depends on your vinegars. I plan to melt some of my overprocessed black currant jam and use that instead,since it has a pretty intense flavour. I don't whisk everything together, I use my immersion blender.

And now it's midnight and I'm thinking that I really want to make this again, soon!
alida - Thanks for sharing the links and suggestions. I do have a large container of herbes de provence in the pantry, so have that covered. Now to get on the hunt for some black currant vinegar or black currant balsamic vinegar.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
It’s gas station roast chicken day again.
I’ll be using it for diced chicken in a Creamy Parmesan sauce with onions, peas, and ?? To be served over Potato Cavatelli.
Rolls come with the chicken so maybe I’ll brush some of them with garlic butter and heat them.

I have an old Vitantonio Cavatelli maker I picked up years ago from a garage sale, and today was the day it finally got used.
I had no idea what I was doing, the recipe was vague, but it seems to have worked out.

I boiled and taste tested a few before rolling all the dough through the machine, the recipe made about 6 times what is shown…

Retirement has made all of my “someday I’ll do that” cooking plans much easier. :)
Food Ingredient Table Wood Salt and pepper shakers

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I like the grocery store rotisserie chickens too; the price is reasonable,they're always fresh since the stores sell so many, and if the seasoning is good, the bones are good for chicken soup later. I had to google Potato Cavatelli, and then I amused myself by watching a 90 second Youtube video of someone making it, and having fun doing so.

No pasta here today. I have a blade roast thawing for pot roast or beef stew tomorrow, haven't decided quite yet. Today's dinner is going to be a hamburger with sweet potato fries.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Retirement has made all of my “someday I’ll do that” cooking plans much easier. :)
View attachment 114467
I can’t wait for that day! I’ve wanted to start smoking meats, but just know it will be a lot of money spent on a smoker that I don’t have the time to use. I have a whole list of things that I keep putting off till retirement.
I put work in at my project house after work, then dropped son off at football, so I don’t know what wifey has planned for dinner.
Breakfast was the usual black coffee and fruit. Lunch was leftover chili and fruit, and a few cherry tomatoes thrown in.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Last night's meal was ahhh gee, don't remember - there weren't any dirty dishes in the sink. Sooo :p
This A.M. I made French Toast and had my coffee and large O.J.
Don't have anymore orange juice so I've got to go out later, maybe I'll find some idea for the evening meal while shopping cause right now my choices are a blank.....:confused:

13561 - 13580 of 13611 Posts