Homesteading Forum banner
13001 - 13020 of 13061 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
If I’m in the road for more than an hour I usually pick up a fountain drink to sip on. A few places, especially in the county where the state capital is, use those paper straws that get soggy after an hour or so. I refuse to go to those places a second time, AND the gas is more expensive as soon as you cross that county line. No thanks.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Happy Mother's day to all of the mom's that post in this thread and at HT.

This morning my wife and kids wanted donuts from a local donut shop. So of course I got them donuts for breakfast. The place was quite busy.

My second oldest made cheese brats wrapped in crescent roll dough for lunch (like a pig in a blanket type meal).

For supper I made my wife's favorite pasta - manicotti (plus she requested it for supper). Served with the manicotti was a baguette sliced for dipping into olive oil with herbs, and a nice mixed green salad with cucumber, tomato, and cheese. For dessert we had Tiramisu.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If I’m in the road for more than an hour I usually pick up a fountain drink to sip on. A few places, especially in the county where the state capital is, use those paper straws that get soggy after an hour or so. I refuse to go to those places a second time, AND the gas is more expensive as soon as you cross that county line. No thanks.
Understandable. I try to keep extra straws in my vehicle for when they are needed (like for situations you described). They sit right next to the extra napkins I keep on hand. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can't even remember the last time I used straws. I don't miss them either (except for coffee to save the cup😅)
In Germany there are now straws made of stainless steel and glass. Is an alternative for people who need something like that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Happy Mother's day to all of the mom's that post in this thread and at HT.
Thanks!
My children live very far away, but yesterday one child made a long detour to visit me while passing through. That made me very happy.
In the evening, when the weather was very nice and warm, we grilled sausages and ate in the garden. It was a beautiful day.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
This morning I had a tall glass of milk with a slice of cornbread dunked into the glass too. I read about doing that on this site and now it’s a favorite of mine just about every time we have leftover cornbread.

DH had a Chili dog for lunch with some of last nights Chili. It was a really good batch.

Tomorrow plan is BLTs for lunch or dinner, but we’ll see how the day goes.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Last night we had Shakshuka for dinner. It is normally a breakfast meal but can be served anytime. Shakshuka, is made of soft cooked eggs, gently poached or braised in a delicious chunky tomato and bell pepper sauce. The seasoning can vary from one recipe to another, but you'll often find warm spices like cumin, paprika, and crushed red pepper flakes for some heat.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Grilled burgers last night over charcoal. Made enough for leftovers for tonight.
I didn’t go to work today,so my usual meals got thrown all out of whack. I spent the night driving to Iowa with car trailer in tow,to pick my wife up outside Cedar Rapids. Brakes went out on a car I just bought,that she was driving home. UGH! Didn’t get home till 4:30 AM. So, let me see, I had a chicken sandwich from the gas station on the road, and that was it till I ate a leftover burger this afternoon. Record highs in the 90’s 3 days in a row here, soI’m not really that hungry anyway.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I tried Kombucha for the first time yesterday after seeing a person we regularly watch on you tube gush over how refreshing it was…It was certainly a very fizzy drink!
I’m not going to make up my mind about it until I try another brand and flavor.

It is unusually hot here again today, so leftovers in the microwave it is.

Tomorrow is something on the grill, but I don’t know what yet. DH takes over.

Sunday is cooler weather so I’m planning an outdoor homemade fish fry, slaw, and deep fried potatoes too.

13001 - 13020 of 13061 Posts