Homesteading Forum banner
12381 - 12400 of 12629 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Made a turkey on the grill today, because I love leftovers. Also made cranberry sauce (fresh cranberries, honey, orange, and walnuts). I was going to make stuffing, but I have gained so much weight the past few months, I have to curb the carbs for a while.

@doozie, how was the bread?
The bread was very good, we both enjoyed it, it's a do again here!
The spices worked good together, I only used a tsp. total of them all together and then crushed them.
I was totally impressed with the orange flavor, that's what really interested me to try making it after your post mentioning the oranges. Do you add any other flavoring?

The recipe states starting with a cold oven and a pan of super hot water underneath, I've never seen a bread recipe start that way, but it worked.
I can see making it plain for a quick dinner bread too.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
We finished up some of the leftovers. The best thing we had was Susie's homemade stuffing using her Grandmothers recipe that she has made over the yrs. When we visited Germany a few years ago we went to the town that has her last name. We had lunch at the only restaurant in town which also has hotel attached to it. When we got our meals she tasted the stuffing and said that is my Grandmothers stuffing!! She was so surprised that she was eating it in Germany.

·
STILL not Alice
22,623 Posts
The bread was very good, we both enjoyed it, it's a do again here!
The spices worked good together, I only used a tsp. total of them all together and then crushed them.
I was totally impressed with the orange flavor, that's what really interested me to try making it after your post mentioning the oranges. Do you add any other flavoring?

The recipe states starting with a cold oven and a pan of super hot water underneath, I've never seen a bread recipe start that way, but it worked.
I can see making it plain for a quick dinner bread too.
Just orange. When I make the bread using the recipe you found, I'm going to stick with just the orange, because I know my sister is drooling, waiting for some limpa.

·
STILL not Alice
22,623 Posts
Leftovers. I’m done. I need a flippin pizza.
I could use a good pizza. Trouble is, there is no good pizza where I live, unless I make it myself. But when I make it myself, it's still not as good as Logalbo's on Southport, or Wapaghetti's in Mundelein...

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I could use a good pizza. Trouble is, there is no good pizza where I live, unless I make it myself. But when I make it myself, it's still not as good as Logalbo's on Southport, or Wapaghetti's in Mundelein...
I agree. I grew up on Chicago pizza and surprisingly Kenosha/Racine had a huge Italian heritage, so lots of old school pizza there. NOTHING around SW Wisconsin even comes close.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
All this talk of pizza has me drooling. Gotta love Chicago Pizza (Lou Malnetti or Gino's East). Of course a good Detroit Style pizza is delicious too.

As for supper here tonight, I made some Swedish Meatballs. Used leftover mashed potatoes as a base, then served it with carrots and some leftover cranberry orange sauce on the side. I had a hankering for some devilled eggs, so made some of those to (ground chipolte pepper is the red stuff on top of the eggs).

·
STILL not Alice
22,623 Posts
All this talk of pizza has me drooling. Gotta love Chicago Pizza (Lou Malnetti or Gino's East). Of course a good Detroit Style pizza is delicious too.

As for supper here tonight, I made some Swedish Meatballs. Used leftover mashed potatoes as a base, then served it with carrots and some leftover cranberry orange sauce on the side. I had a hankering for some devilled eggs, so made some of those to (ground chipolte pepper is the red stuff on top of the eggs).

I like Lou Malnatti's 'za, and Gino's is okay, but a Chicago hand-tossed is still my all-time favorite.

Your meatballs look fabulous! I may have to make some tonight. :)

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I shouldn't read this thread when I'm already hungry. Now I want pizza AND swedish meatballs with gravy. I haven't had either in a long long time. Eggplant parmesan is on the menu for tonight, mostly because I have one defrosting in the fridge. Chicken soup for lunch in about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Tonight I ended up making some breaded pork loin. Did that by slicing some pork loin (seven pieces each about an inch thick) and after putting it through a milk and egg wash, coated it with Ritz cracker crumbs and put it into a baking pan with a stick of butter. It baked for a bit, then flipped it over and let it finish cooking. The breaded pork loin was served with steamed Brussel sprouts.

Breaded pork loin/breaded pork chops was a once a week staple at the house when I was growing up. I haven't had them in years. Eating a couple of them tonight brought back some fond memories.

·
STILL not Alice
22,623 Posts
Thanks. You know you want to make some. :p

Tis the season for meatballs. :D
Yes, it is. And since I grew up in Chicago's Andersonville neighborhood, I have our former neighbor Mrs Magnuson's recipe for Swedish meatballs in my file. Mmm!

Last night was beef liver with sauteed cabbage/onions. My body must have really needed the liver, because it was absolutely delish! Usually, I eat liver because it's good for me. Last night, I ate it because I had a craving. :)

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Pork roast, applesauce, squash, and also some sort of dry bean made in the instant pot tonight.

Tomorrow afternoon, yet another egg roll recipe to try with the leftover pork. I don't think I've ever added the 5 spice powder to any other recipe I've tried. Weather looks good enough to fry outside too. Leftovers will be frozen for future enjoyment.

12381 - 12400 of 12629 Posts