Homesteading Forum banner
12361 - 12380 of 12398 Posts

·
STILL not Alice
21,688 Posts
Today, I made kapusta and kielbasa.

I'm also making limpa bread for tomorrow's feast. I will also make some white and wheat, for those whose tastes do not run toward dark ryes.

My darling in-laws blessed me with their used Kitchen Aid mixer. Oh. My. Goodness! I cannot believe the difference it makes!

After the breads, I'm going to give pepperkakor a go. w00t!

·
STILL not Alice
21,688 Posts
I'm baking bread again this morning. SMH

Going to go start a thread on how to use a mixer to knead the dough.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
A kitchen aid for bread kneading is great, I discovered it last year and it's the only way I do it now. World of difference in the results too :)

Happy Thanksgiving.
Pumpkin pie is done baking, and everything else should fall into place for our dinner.

Just browsing the Internet and I came upon this, I got a kick out of it but can't imagine...

·
STILL not Alice
21,688 Posts
A kitchen aid for bread kneading is great, I discovered it last year and it's the only way I do it now. World of difference in the results too :)

Happy Thanksgiving.
Pumpkin pie is done baking, and everything else should fall into place for our dinner.

Just browsing the Internet and I came upon this, I got a kick out of it but can't imagine...
The bread I made didn't rise properly. For the second batch, I opened a fresh package of yeast.

Do you think I over-kneaded it?

At the neighbor's, we enjoyed turkey, ham, and chicken off their ginormous smoker. Green bean casserole with a Texas twist: they added a can of Ro-tel with hot peppers. Oh, that was good! A layered tossed salad with cauliflower and other yummies. The bread I made. Sweet potato casserole. Cranberry sauce (NOT from a can!), and many, many pies.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Hope everyone had an excellent Thanksgiving. For the meal today, there was roasted turkey breast, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, stove top stuffing (my wife and kids requested it :D), devilled eggs, Parkerhouse style rolls, and homemade cranberry orange sauce. We also made "pink stuff" (strawberry jello, crushed pineapple, cottage cheese, and cool whip), a pumpkin pie, a pecan pie, and an apple pie. My 17 year old made the apple pie on her own. Needless to say a nice meal spent with family. Leftovers aren't bad - some will be eaten in the next meal - others might last a couple of meals (lunches).

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
The bread I made didn't rise properly. For the second batch, I opened a fresh package of yeast.

Do you think I over-kneaded it?

At the neighbor's, we enjoyed turkey, ham, and chicken off their ginormous smoker. Green bean casserole with a Texas twist: they added a can of Ro-tel with hot peppers. Oh, that was good! A layered tossed salad with cauliflower and other yummies. The bread I made. Sweet potato casserole. Cranberry sauce (NOT from a can!), and many, many pies.
Using the KA to knead, it can be finished in 3 minutes and depending on the recipes I've seen/used up to 7 minutes. I use speed one or two.

·
STILL not Alice
21,688 Posts
Using the KA to knead, it can be finished in 3 minutes and depending on the recipes I've seen/used up to 7 minutes. I use speed one or two.
Thank you!

Now I know what went wrong. Have to pick up some more oranges, because I promised my sister I'd send her some bread.

Funny how food can connect us to those we lost... Mom loved limpa. Sis and I were not on the best of terms before Mom and Dad became infirm. Now it seems sis and I are trying to connect through the things Mom loved - like limpa bread.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Thank you!

Now I know what went wrong. Have to pick up some more oranges, because I promised my sister I'd send her some bread.

Funny how food can connect us to those we lost... Mom loved limpa. Sis and I were not on the best of terms before Mom and Dad became infirm. Now it seems sis and I are trying to connect through the things Mom loved - like limpa bread.
I've never had Limpa bread, but this recipe tells how she uses the mixer. Maybe your recipe is similar. Plus, now I want to try it!

·
STILL not Alice
21,688 Posts
I've never had Limpa bread, but this recipe tells how she uses the mixer. Maybe your recipe is similar. Plus, now I want to try it!
ONE HOUR???

My recipe has 3 risings!

Going to go check out your recipe. Thanks!

ETA: Over the years, I have eaten many, many loaves of limpa, made by many people and bakeries. Never have I ever seen fennel in limpa bread.

The purist in my is appalled at the notion. The adventurer in me says I should at least try it... ;)

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I decided to give the quick Limpa bread a try, and halved the recipe, because..what if we don't like it. I don't want two loaves...
I did use the fennel plus anise, and caraway crushed and toasted, ( searched many recipes and saw them all added, one or the other added, and none added ) but I used only a tiny bit of each. It really was done start to finish in about an hour.
Tonight it's Pork chops, leftover thanksgiving sides of green bean casserole and some stuffing, a fresh baked Mac and cheese, and the bread.
Food Hat Ingredient Tableware Staple food

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I took my family, including a son and daughter that were in town, out to eat at our favorite diner. I had my usual breakfast dish there, the Fat Daddy, which is basically biscuits and gravy, but with eggs, cheese, and sausage patties inside the biscuits. We visited one of my SIL and her family after, and she had made turkey and dumpling soup for lunch using her leftovers from Thursday.

·
STILL not Alice
21,688 Posts
Made a turkey on the grill today, because I love leftovers. Also made cranberry sauce (fresh cranberries, honey, orange, and walnuts). I was going to make stuffing, but I have gained so much weight the past few months, I have to curb the carbs for a while.

@doozie, how was the bread?

12361 - 12380 of 12398 Posts