Homesteading Forum banner
12321 - 12340 of 12398 Posts

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
We make chicken marinated in zesty Italian dressing for about 30-60 minutes before we cook it on the grill. Tasty stuff.
I use store bought most often, but homemade is just as good.

Tonight we are having grilled burgers, with onion rings from the freezer. And tots too for DH.
I'm about to make a small batch of pinto beans in the instant pot for future use.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
My wife and kids wanted tortellini last night, so made that with some garlic bread croissants (croissant dough with garlic butter and cheese spread on, rolled up, and baked). For me, I had some keto friendly tortilla chips and a bunch of guacamole (a great keto food).

For lunch today - I was out shopping, so decided to stop by bibibop for one of there bowls (supergreen salad, cucumbers, red cabbage, kimchi, bean sprouts, broccoli, scrambled egg, sesame kale, cheese, and double steak). It was topped off with some gochujang sauce.

For supper tonight - my 12 year old asked if I could make broccoli cheese soup. So we will have broccoli cheese soup and burgers.

Not sure what breakfast and lunch will bring tomorrow - but our Adult Bible study is on Sunday evenings. Each week there is something different for the meal, and tomorrow is soup night, where everyone brings a soup and we can try the various soups. :) I'm making chicken tortilla soup for tomorrow.

·
STILL not Alice
21,688 Posts
Since we're doing chicken tomorrow, I'm making New England clam chowder right now. :)

·
STILL not Alice
21,688 Posts
@Pony - what did you decide or plan on for how to make the chicken be less Asian Inspired? Enquiring minds, want to know.....I want to know.... :p

and clam chowder does sound good.
I'm just doing the brine, and I will cook it with butter and garlic.

No sesame oil, no soy, no ginger. :)

And the clam chowder turned out purty durned good. It got the DH seal of approval

To make the chowder, I cut up about 6 or 10 slices of thick bacon into 1" chunks, and fry it in the soup pot. Take off some of the grease (save it to make popcorn later), and sweat a cup or so of onions for a while. Add chopped celery, a little bit of garlic .... a little bit more garlic. Saute for a bit, while you cut up the spuds.

We have some lovely spuds right now, so I just washed them really well, didn't peel them, and cut them into 1" pieces. Tossed the spuds in the pot, and emptied 3 bottles of clam juice into the pot as well. A cup or so of water, and cook until the potatoes are done. Smash the spuds a little bit with your potato masher.

Add two cans of baby clams, broth and all, as well as a generous scoop of chicken Better Than Bouillon. Let it all work together on low heat for a few minutes, then stir in a dash or three of cayenne pepper, and a cup or two of sour cream.

Et voila!

Ladle some of that into a nice mug, grate some homemade cheddar on top, and enjoy. :)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm just doing the brine, and I will cook it with butter and garlic.

No sesame oil, no soy, no ginger. :)

And the clam chowder turned out purty durned good. It got the DH seal of approval

To make the chowder, I cut up about 6 or 10 slices of thick bacon into 1" chunks, and fry it in the soup pot. Take off some of the grease (save it to make popcorn later), and sweat a cup or so of onions for a while. Add chopped celery, a little bit of garlic .... a little bit more garlic. Saute for a bit, while you cut up the spuds.

We have some lovely spuds right now, so I just washed them really well, didn't peel them, and cut them into 1" pieces. Tossed the spuds in the pot, and emptied 3 bottles of clam juice into the pot as well. A cup or so of water, and cook until the potatoes are done. Smash the spuds a little bit with your potato masher.

Add two cans of baby clams, broth and all, as well as a generous scoop of chicken Better Than Bouillon. Let it all work together on low heat for a few minutes, then stir in a dash or three of cayenne pepper, and a cup or two of sour cream.

Et voila!

Ladle some of that into a nice mug, grate some homemade cheddar on top, and enjoy. :)
Sounds excellent. Clam chowder, the New England type, is one of my favorites.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I had to work today. It was also my grand daughter’s birthday party today. So my wife took my sons to Kenosha for the day.
So that means I’m a bachelor for 24 hours, which usually means it’s ribeye night. Problem is I didn’t have a ribeye defrosted. Wife took ground beef and butcher made Italian sausage out yesterday. So I stopped at the butcher on the way home from work and bought what they label a “sizzler” steak. I can’t justify paying through the nose for a ribeye from the butcher, when I have a side of beef in the freezer. Looked real lean, like a sirloin, but only $5.99 a lb. I expected it to be tough, but it was surprisingly tender.
So grilled the Italian sausage, burgers, and my cheap steak. I ate the steak, and had one Italian with Vidalia onion relish. A couple glasses of whole milk to wash it down too. :)

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Yesterday I was out to dinner at a Greek restaurant. I had lamb shanks with roasted potato, and salad. Dessert was pistachio gelato. I meant to take a picture but by the time I remembered it was too late.

I've been craving beef lately so today I'm making beef stroganoff. Comfort food on a rainy day.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
We were out and stopped into a local grocery today. I always check the meat dept and bargain bin. We ended up having steak and eggs when we got home. Tenderloin was on clearance today. Plenty was left over after we cut portions and frozen for a few future meals.

I also picked up a seasoned pork tenderloin, lemon garlic flavor for something new to us. I'm having a hard time imagining the flavors paired with pork for some reason, but we will give it a try soon.
I got some Sweet Harvest Pumpkin Tea, and a Caramel Apple Tea, I hardly ever see the special seasonal flavors available so it's been a lucky day!

Dinner is a strip steak from the sale bin and baked potato for DH and I'm thinking I'll finish leftover the taco meat in a salad.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Yesterday for lunch we had fried and filled little street tacos and then we made tostadas, because the tacos weren't cooperating and were splitting. The endless supply of taco meat is now gone.

Soup for dinner, using a hearty blend mixture from a little country store that has lentils, split peas, barley, and more that I'll be adding some ham and veggies to.
Also some chicken cordon blue.

Tonight is a casserole of ham and scalloped potatoes, with leftover soup on the side.
I'll make a little batch of ham salad for future sandwiches too.

·
STILL not Alice
21,688 Posts
Yesterday, we had our twice-a-month-trip-to-WP date. Stopped at a bbq restaurant we never visited before.

Oh, yuck. Pass the Pepto.

The bbq was not fresh. It was obviously reheated in a microwave. The "pepper cole slaw" was only that: pepper on bagged cabbage mix. No vinegar/oil, not even lemon juice.

I took the leftovers home and mixed them with the dogs' supper.

Today, I took a steak out of the freezer, sliced it, and made a stir fry. Made enough for supper today, and two work lunches for DH.

NEVER going back to that restaurant, and since I really did need Pepto, I'm thinking about writing a Yelp review.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Yesterday, we had our twice-a-month-trip-to-WP date. Stopped at a bbq restaurant we never visited before.

Oh, yuck. Pass the Pepto.

The bbq was not fresh. It was obviously reheated in a microwave. The "pepper cole slaw" was only that: pepper on bagged cabbage mix. No vinegar/oil, not even lemon juice.

I took the leftovers home and mixed them with the dogs' supper.

Today, I took a steak out of the freezer, sliced it, and made a stir fry. Made enough for supper today, and two work lunches for DH.

NEVER going back to that restaurant, and since I really did need Pepto, I'm thinking about writing a Yelp review.
Must have been REALLY bad. I’ve never had BBQ I fed to the dog.

·
STILL not Alice
21,688 Posts
Must have been REALLY bad. I’ve never had BBQ I fed to the dog.
It was awful. Tasted like it was in the fridge over the weekend, and heated in the microwave. It had some really hot spots, and a few spots that were just a little too overheated.

Ugh. So disappointed.

They need Gordon Ramsey. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
@Pony . That bbq place was a real let down. Have you thought of contacting the owners directly? To have one dish be so so, well that happens, but microwaved bbq and dressing less coleslaw is inexcusable. Your homemade steak dinner sounds delicious.

I have skinless chicken thighs marinating in yogurt and tandoori paste. In awhile I'll stick them in a fairly hot oven to cook, and get a bit of char by putting the tray under the broiler for a minute. It can't duplicate tandoori chicken cooked well in a real tandoor at a Indian restaurant, but it's good enough. This is so flavourful that I'll just have a small amount of plain, basmati rice with fried onions mixed in it and green peas. The leftovers will be even better tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
My wife has a town committee meeting, so no time for her to cook. My friend and I are putting the winch on my truck, so my wife asked me to pick up something at the butcher by my work. They also sell prepared dishes, so I stopped in.
I got some loaded mashed potatoes. They make their smoked bacon and put it on top, along with cheese, and butter. Always yummy.
I also picked up some of their Tuscan chicken Alfredo. The chicken chunks are huge and juicy. It’ll be a good supper.

12321 - 12340 of 12398 Posts