Homesteading Forum banner
12141 - 12160 of 12189 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'd give that meal more likes if I could. :D That dessert with rhubarb looks delicious (and the burger looks excellent too).
You know every time I eat there I’m done for the day. I’m not saying it was small, but I came away full,not stuffed, and didn’t think about food until I was driving home at 10 last night! That’s saying a lot for me.
Last weekend I had their “Fat Daddy”, picture two biscuits with a sausage patty, fried egg, and cheese, covered in white gravy. I didn’t eat the rest of the day then either. I don’t know what’s in that food, but it sticks to your ribs for sure. I can pig out at MC D’s for example, and I’m hungry a few hours later.
Food Tableware Plate Table Ingredient

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Well, wife is out of town, so by tradition it’s ribeye night. The grocery store in the next town over has ribeye on sale, so it was meant to be. I’ll throw that on the grill later.
While driving my son to the roller rink yesterday, I noticed a farm with a produce stand finally had their own watermelons and cantaloupe for sale. :). I stopped today and loaded some up. SO much tastier than the imported from down south varieties. $1 each for small,$2 each for large. I cut them up and went out on my back deck (so I could spit the seeds out) and ate a few full size slices. Beautiful day here too!

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Pork chops, gravy and mashed potatoes planned for dinner.

I used large ring pasta in my last batch of soup and have half a box left. I just realized I can make my own spaghettio's so we are going to give it a try, or maybe sloppy joeO's instead. It's got to be better than the canned stuff either way.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Last night's supper was meatloaf, carrots, and mashed potatoes.

Tonight is taco Tuesday -so it will be a taco of a night. :)

There are only a few pears left to process - they will become brandied pears (those should be finished tonight). 5 gallons of Pear wine has been started over the weekend, and pear butter has been made. For the apples - the current plan is to make some apple wine and either apple sauce or apple butter. There are still a good number of cucumbers coming from the garden - some refrigerator bread and butter pickles will be made (maybe some dill pickles if I get ambitious enough. :) ).

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Last night we had homemade KFC bowls using the leftover mashers and gravy.

Today we shared a toasted Cuban sandwich with one leftover pork chop for lunch. DH made it, somehow sandwiches always taste better when someone else makes them.

Dinner was the homemade spaghettios in a meat sauce made from our tomatoes and more zucchini meatballs just because I had zucchini that needed to be eaten. Green beans on the side.

Tomorrow air fryer breaded fish, homemade coleslaw and maybe potato salad too.

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
I mangled a brisket the other day. Left it in the rub too long, but got it up to correct temp on the smoker (160*), wrapped it in foil and a towel, and popped it into the cooler for about 4 hours.

Don't know exactly what went wrong, but it was salty and tough.

Today, I decided to give it The Corned Beef Treatment. Boiled it for a few hours.

Turned out pretty good. Served with kraut, potatoes, and green beans.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I mangled a brisket the other day. Left it in the rub too long, but got it up to correct temp on the smoker (160*), wrapped it in foil and a towel, and popped it into the cooler for about 4 hours.

Don't know exactly what went wrong, but it was salty and tough.

Today, I decided to give it The Corned Beef Treatment. Boiled it for a few hours.

Turned out pretty good. Served with kraut, potatoes, and green beans.
Pony, for brisket I don't smoke it based on temp, but on tenderness. I try to get my smoker to between 240-250 Fahrenheit. After about 5 hours the meat has taken on about all of the smoke that it will, and that is when putting it in foil (with a little liquid) and then back on to the smoker until a thermometer probe goes in to the brisket easily. Then it is removed, foil is pulled open to get the temp to about 170, and then the foil is closed back up and put into the cooler to rest for about 4 hours. It should then slice nice and be tender and moist inside.

As a side note - when the smoker is coming up to temperature is when I put rub on to the meat. Usually for brisket I either use mustard or some other liquid (like beef paste mixed with Worcestershire sauce and some maggi seasoning),then put the rub on and place the brisket on the smoker that is at temperature (240-250).

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
Pony, for brisket I don't smoke it based on temp, but on tenderness. I try to get my smoker to between 240-250 Fahrenheit. After about 5 hours the meat has taken on about all of the smoke that it will, and that is when putting it in foil (with a little liquid) and then back on to the smoker until a thermometer probe goes in to the brisket easily. Then it is removed, foil is pulled open to get the temp to about 170, and then the foil is closed back up and put into the cooler to rest for about 4 hours. It should then slice nice and be tender and moist inside.

As a side note - when the smoker is coming up to temperature is when I put rub on to the meat. Usually for brisket I either use mustard or some other liquid (like beef paste mixed with Worcestershire sauce and some maggi seasoning),then put the rub on and place the brisket on the smoker that is at temperature (240-250).
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Reactions: sniper69

·
STILL not Alice
20,729 Posts
Happy to assist. Also another note - Usually total cooking time (on a smoker) for a brisket (in the 10-14 lb. range) is around 12-14 hours.
This brisket was about 5 pounds. The steer was dairy - but is very tasty!

Reactions: sniper69

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I’m down in Florida visiting a son and his wife, and my grandson. We had planned to grill out tonight, but, it was raining. According to my son it rains everyday lately. So we made the burgers in a skillet instead.
I showed him how I’ve been chopping up my onions and mixing them into the meat, and adding an egg or two to help hold them together. We made some bacon in the oven, and lightly toasted the buns after coating them with butter. I put some Pepper Jack cheese on every burger too. I bought a whole assortment of fresh from the factory Wisconsin cheeses down for him too.
Food Ingredient Bun Staple food Recipe
Food Tableware Plate Recipe Ingredient

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
It's raining now, just enough to be annoying, so I've decided to do some cooking for the coming week. I have a pot of minestrone started on the stove using some Italian sausage for flavouring, and I've got skinless chicken thighs marinating in a tandoori paste and yogurt marinade to cook later. This chicken is good hot and leftovers are good cold. I'll have that with a bit of rice, yogurt and green peas.
I'll also make up a bowl of bean salad, that'll keep for a week too. I still have a bunch of tomatos to deal with, maybe bake them in some way and I can eat that as a sidedish, or over pasta.

12141 - 12160 of 12189 Posts