Homesteading Forum banner
12121 - 12140 of 12185 Posts

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
DH is happy I'm making burgers plus extras for a day or two of his lunches.

Also trying something new, meat and Orzo stuffed green peppers, scaled down from this recipe for tomorrow.
Cooks on the stove top in a pot, not in the oven.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Well, today we had a neighborhood get together on the next block. Timely, as yesterday it was 91 degrees with 85% humidity, today 80 with 65% and a nice breeze.
So I dug in. Pulled pork sandwich with a big glob of slaw on the top, on a sourdough bun. Homemade potato salad, peach & apple cobbler, cucumber salad to finish it off.
Beautiful day to be outside!

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow...
I love Bubble Tea or Boba tea drinks and have the tapioca pearls and sweet instant Thai Tea to make a reasonable copy what you can get at a tea shop.
Today I just discovered I can make the pearls myself. (Well, maybe haha) A little involved, but I did find a very easy recipe to try for the first time.

I experimented with a strong homemade milk tea today, and will try another tomorrow that has no tea at all in it.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
bbq today. Two types of sausages, lamb and pork, bbq sauce coated chicken thighs and Indian spiced (tandoori) chicken thighs as well all done on the grill. Several salads, cherry ice cream and homemade chocolate chip cookies. We had a bocci tournament too since their lawns are a good size for up to sixteen people to play on at once (two games, eight people per game)

I haven't seen most of these people for a year and it was the BEST time of all.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
This weekend my family and I picked pears from our pear tree and apples (yellow and red delicious) from our apple trees. Nothing quite like having a bumper crop kind of year. Last night I filled an extra large pot with cut up pears and heated them up to let them soften. They were then put through the squeezo to remove the skins and seeds. This batch of pear puree is being slowly cooked down to pear butter.

Other pears are going to be canned as brandied pears. Some might be canned regular, and depending on how many are left some perry (hard pear cider) might be made. Did I say we picked a bumper crop of pears? :D

The apples - well they'll keep longer than the pears - so will see what gets made with those (have some ideas, but still undecided).

As for cooking- last night the last of the lasagna leftovers were warmed up for supper, and some spaghetti was also made so there would be enough supper for everyone.

For tonight's supper - I have a roast cooking in the crock pot.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
@sniper69 , I hear you had a bumper crop of pears!

I really enjoy the group effort canning, cooking process. This year I helped my sister, and her inlaws process four bushels of tomatos into sauce.That's a reduction from their usual seven bushels. Next weekend it's a road trip to our hometown area to pick up three bushels of apples for sure. We'll fill at least 4 dozen pie shells for the freezer, some will be for eating, and some will be canned sauce. Making a few dozen pies goes fast when there are four of you working...and talking. Pears are a possibility too, it'll depend on the season in my area.

Dinner tonight is haddock, and a leftover chopped vegetable salad from the weekend.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
@sniper69 , I hear you had a bumper crop of pears!

I really enjoy the group effort canning, cooking process. This year I helped my sister, and her inlaws process four bushels of tomatos into sauce.That's a reduction from their usual seven bushels. Next weekend it's a road trip to our hometown area to pick up three bushels of apples for sure. We'll fill at least 4 dozen pie shells for the freezer, some will be for eating, and some will be canned sauce. Making a few dozen pies goes fast when there are four of you working...and talking. Pears are a possibility too, it'll depend on the season in my area.

Dinner tonight is haddock, and a leftover chopped vegetable salad from the weekend.
LOL. I sure did. 🍐🍐

Canning and processing the harvest is something I enjoy. I'm thankful for all the pears this year - just a little shocked with the quantity. The tomatoes here have done good - not as many as past years - but nothing for me to complain about. In years past we've went to a u-pick place to get apples - not this year (unless I find a place with northern spy apples for sale, then I will definitely get some of those).

For the haddock - is it finnan haddie? When my wife's grandfather was alive - he was the one that would make finnan haddie. One year he was craving some, so my father in law found a place that would ship it, and had a bunch shipped in. Talk about the stories then. :D

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Well, no home cooking today. My wife and I run a program for the kids for our small town. Tonight we had a cake decorator come in and teach the kids how to decorate cakes. I passed on the cake, but did eat some of the Papa Murphy’s pizza we made. We also hired a local creamery to bring their traveling truck, so free ice cream! (Well not for me, we paid for it :) ) That’s one of my trouble making sons handing out the pizza.
Food Table Furniture Cuisine Cooking
Sky Cloud Wheel Tire Natural environment
Hairstyle Eye Facial expression Leisure Grass
Table Tableware Dishware Plate Cup

·
STILL not Alice
20,716 Posts
Tonight was Sea Bass San Sebastian, with mixed green salad, and sliced tomatoes.

:)

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Burgers and chips for lunch.
Leftover tacos, and Spanish rice for dinner.

The homemade caramel sauce was ok, and I have plenty left to drizzle over cut apples.
I Took a glob and stirred it into my morning tea.
I think I cooked it too long, or over too high heat, but it wasn't a complete flop. It's easy enough to try again.

Tomorrow ground lamb made into mini burgers for grilling, homemade tzatziki sauce, fresh sliced veggies and pita bread.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
@sniper69
For the haddock - is it finnan haddie? When my wife's grandfather was alive - he was the one that would make finnan haddie. One year he was craving some, so my father in law found a place that would ship it, and had a bunch shipped in. Talk about the stories then

This was a haddock fillet cooked slowly in a little butter. I've had finnan haddie, creamed on toast - and loved it. What's not to love about smoked fish? I also tried making a rice dish with smoked haddock; by the time it was ready I couldn't smell or taste it anymore. I can imagine the stories....I can remember some when Dad and his friends would smoke eel and talk about doing so back in Holland.

Dinner tonight wasn't fancy; I roasted a chicken with fresh rosemary under the skin and in the cavity along with lemon. I served it with sauteed red peppers and mushrooms. Everyone was happy.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Last night I finally roasted some peppers since the charcoal grill was in use.

I also made some pimiento cheese spread using the roasted peppers. There are a zillion recipes online and I picked a good one :)

Today I'm taking the whole day off, there are leftovers and we will be snacking on the cheese spread, pita and sliced fresh veggies.

Dinner is Chicken pot pies from the freezer. It's cool enough to turn on the oven tonight.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
takeout tonight. A thai coconut soup with chicken and vegetables and stirfried veggies with green curry. Both were delicious and I have leftovers for the next 2-3 days. I'm starting a week off now and plan to spend a bunch of time in the kitchen making food for the freezer and canning the rest, and enjoying the cooler weather.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
I've been grilling chicken thighs lately and I get 6 or 8 for a few bucks
So at least two meals
I grill them to a point and then put them in a non stick baking pan
Cook them a bit more with burners off on that side of the grill while the fresh maple syrup soaks in
Beans and potato salad too

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Broiling some more peppers for the freezer.
While I'm at it..
Two Brat stuffed poblanos,bread stuffing into a few cherry hot tomatoes, maybe tuck a piece of mozzarella inside the stuffing, and a pimiento cheese popper or two with a milder pepper.

A few roasted beets just for me, yum! They will be my lunch I think.

Minestrone soup in the instant pot.

12121 - 12140 of 12185 Posts