Homesteading Forum banner

11841 - 11860 of 11913 Posts

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Tonight we are having beef broccoli stir fry, rice noodles that puff up when you cook them in oil, little leek pot stickers or dumplings that I will also cook and brown in a fry pan served with a zesty dipping sauce and rice.
I have not made the puffy noodles in years, when my kids were young they liked watching them expand within seconds, so it has been a really long time..

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I broke down and made a Hello Fresh meal last night. A kind of sweet and sour beef with carrots and cilantro over jasmine rice. Pretty good. There has also been cookies, ice cream sandwiches, chips and dip and Rice Krispie treats so far. Good thing the weather was good and I burned it off in the yard and garden.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Tonight it's anyone's guess, what you find you will eat. I'm leaning toward a homemade sausage and egg mcmuffin for dinner, and there is a lone cooked burger DH will probably claim along with a few other odds and ends.

Tomorrow will be grilled pork chops, applesauce and more of the leek dumplings, maybe baked sweet potatoes too.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
On Sunday we were invited to friends house for a meal and Bible study. So I made up some devilled eggs and a mixed green salad, topped with cheese, bacon, onions, tomatoes, olives, and cucumbers. Another friend that came to their house brought a big pan of oven roasted vegetables. There were other sides too. Our friends grilled burgers and hot dogs.

Then on Sunday night around 10pm I started the smoker, and used some oak charcoal and also some apple wood. A brisket was placed into the smoker. It finished smoking before lunch today and needed time to "rest" before cutting into.
I had made reservations last week to take my wife on a "lunch date" to Firebirds Grill. We both ended up each having a steak and she had green beans with pecans, and I had some steamed and buttered broccoli on the side. I talked with my 21 year old, so he knew what I had planned for lunch - so said he would cook lunch for his brother and sisters (so I wouldn't have to worry about it).

Then for supper tonight we had the brisket sliced with Cole Slaw on the side. (and leftovers for another meal).

Seeing Gayle's post about cheesecake - and also remembering back to lunch and seeing a close by table getting cheesecake for dessert -I figure one needs to be made. :D So found a keto cheesecake recipe ( link to recipe Classic New York Style Keto Cheesecake )and it is finishing baking in the oven now. Since it needs time to cool - I guess I will have "dessert" with my morning cup of coffee tomorrow morning. :)

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Last night I mentioned this pork chop idea to DH and it's what we went with instead of grilling.
It was ridiculously quick and easy and I had leftover rice and a can of baked beans on hand.

Bland as could be, so if I ever make it again I'll add BBQ sauce, brown sugar, onions and???

Tonight is burgers, another batch of chickpea salad, and I'm not sure what else if anything.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Tuesday evening we had hot dogs for supper. I didn't have any chili made up, so ended up eating them with some shredded cheese on top.

Last night for supper, my youngest kids requested sloppy joes- so that was made and served with cole slaw. I probably should have made a larger batch. By the time I went to get some, the sloppy joe meat was gone (the family was full from supper, which is good). :D So I quickly cooked up some Hot Italian sausage with some bell pepper and onion, and served it topped with provolone cheese and some marinara sauce.

The cheesecake that was made the other day turned out great, and has been enjoyed for dessert each evening (it was cut into small slices).

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Apparently what I call burgundy mushrooms aren't. . I sauté mushrooms in butter and add a splash of burgundy wine at the end. It cooks off pretty fast and leaves them in a nice sauce.
Thanks snowlady. I think your name and method for cooking them is just fine - and one I'd have the patience to do. I love the smell of mushrooms cooking in butter...then a helping of wine at the end (added to the pan). 🙂

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Another night of burgers, it doesn't really get boring because we mix up what toppings we have on them.
Last night I used hickory seasoning, provolone and BBQ sauce, tonight it's going to be just ground pepper and avocado, or maybe something else entirely :)

Tomorrow we are having something with chicken, couscous with minced red onion, and asparagus on the side.

11841 - 11860 of 11913 Posts