Homesteading Forum banner

11781 - 11800 of 11926 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Well, Long day. The next town over has its annual morel mushroom festival today. My wife was volunteering there. I had a burger. I then went to a nephews graduation party and had various unhealthy food. Now just came back to the festival to see if there is any steak left. The volunteer fire department has a steak feed. They have 720 steaks, but they are at the very end and don’t want to sell tickets and run out of steaks. So we’re waiting to see if any are left over.
Side note, nothing food related. My 9 year old won a gold fish at some vendors gold fish game. He ended up hanging around and helping him most of the day. The guy gave him $40! My son asked for $7.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Today we got out the smoker and smoked beef brisket. The beef brisket we got from local butcher in Merida. It weighed 18 pounds. We cut it into 2 pieces and hung it vertical in the smoker. Broke out the cast iron Dutch Oven and cooked up some potatoes with onions and butter and a cold chickpea salad. It had chickpeas, black beans, red onion, red bell pepper, celery and celery leaves, cilantro, olive oil, shallots and lime juice. It will taste better the 2nd or 3rd day.

·
STILL not Alice
20,197 Posts
DH is working afternoon/evening shift, so I'm not terribly motivated to cook. Of course, if I don't eat, those chocolate bars we got at Aldi's the other day are going to start looking like health food around 8:00.

I think I'll make a tossed salad with boiled eggs and a couple of strips of bacon.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
A woman that I don't know, sent me some homegrown hamburger because I've been housing and feeding her daughter (my son's fiancée) so I think I'm going to make sloppy joes from a pound of it. I haven't made them in more than a decade. I hope I remember how.
Gayle - the sloppy joes my kids always enjoy me making start off with bell pepper and onion being sauteed/softened in the pan, then ground beef being added. After that is cooked - drain off excess fat I like to leave some in the pan) and add some salt and pepper, brown sugar, mustard, ketchup, and a little bbq sauce. Stir together, turn down the heat and stir every so often for about 5 minutes (to get the flavors mixed together). I don't have exact measurements as I usually "eyeball" the amounts of each ingredient added.

·
Gadabout
3,084 Posts
@sniper69 I knew most of the ingredients and was trying to remember if it had peppers, but had completely forgotten about the brown sugar. I have a bag of cooked peppers and onions in the freezer, so I'll use those. I'm really glad you mentioned the brown sugar. I probably wouldn't have figured out that's what it needed. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
@sniper69 I knew most of the ingredients and was trying to remember if it had peppers, but had completely forgotten about the brown sugar. I have a bag of cooked peppers and onions in the freezer, so I'll use those. I'm really glad you mentioned the brown sugar. I probably wouldn't have figured out that's what it needed. Thank you!
Glad to help jog the memory. :) I'm sure they'll turn out great when you make them.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Last night we had a salad with all the fixings and some more of the chickpea salad. It get better each day
I make a nearly identical chickpea salad, and it keeps well for up to a week sometimes. I make another version with mixed beans,green pepper and oil/vinegar/sugar dressing, plus celery seed if I'm in the mood and that also stays good for a week.

Tonight I'm having roasted asparagus, and diced sweet potatos., with ham.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Chickpea salad sounds interesting, I'll have to give it a try.

I'm making instant pot potato salad, cook the potatoes and and make the hardboiled eggs at the same time.
This recipe uses Buttermilk and smashes the egg yolks into a dressing. DH and I both agreed this is our new favorite and you don't really need an instantpot to boil the potatoes or eggs :)

I'm pretty sure DH will want burgers to go with, but I'm thinking marinated beef on the grill instead. Maybe we will each have what we want.

11781 - 11800 of 11926 Posts