Homesteading Forum banner

11761 - 11780 of 11954 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
My Son came and went, I thought I'd be cooking 3 square meals a day but he really only eats once or twice a day, so I got off easy. We did have Brats one night because no one visits Wisconsin without having a Brat or two...
My Chihuahua passed unexpectedly in the morning right before we went back to the Airport so between tears for the dog and the tears of goodbye to my Son I didn't make anything yesterday, I couldn't eat, and DH made his beloved hamburgers out on the grill.

Tonight I'm trying a butter crust pizza, using melted butter in place of oil in the dough, it's supposed to be a flaky crust. Pizza makes everything better :)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Last night was pizza night. Used the same keto friendly crust recipe I used last week. Toppings were cheese, ham, and pepperoni.

I have some strawberries and rhubarb in the fridge. It is waiting on me to try that recipe Gayle posted for keto friendly strawberry rhubarb pie. Hopefully I'll have time after work to make it this evening.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Leftover burgers for dinner, DH made a lot!, and leftover pizza for lunch.

Tomorrow chicken tenders scored with a sharp knife and marinated in Greek dressing, grilled on the BBQ and served in pita bread with chopped fresh tomatoes and thin sliced red onions.
We were going to have them tonight, but I discovered the burger stash at the bottom of the fridge this morning! LOL.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Two nights ago we had a meatloaf made of half ground beef and half ground pork. I used almond flour instead of bread crumbs to make it keto. I tried something new and cooked it in our Ninja Foodi. I cooked it in pressure cooker mode for 25 minutes and then in bake mode for another 15 minutes. It was really good and we didn't heat up the house. The meatloaf was very juicy too. We had butter sauteed green beans also.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Last night for supper we ended up having smoked brisket and some green beans with bacon. They came from a local BBQ place.

Also I ended up making the Keto friendly strawberry rhubarb pie recipe Gayle shared the link for. It turned out good. The flavor is good. Working with the dough - it was a little sticky. Cooling in the fridge did make it easier to work with. I ended up using Swerve granular for the sugar substitute.
Here are some pics of the pie.

For tonight - I'm attending an event with coworkers (we're attending as friends as it isn't a work event, and we are all like family :) ). So supper will be hamburgers, hot dogs, and pizza. Seeing a couple of us in the office are doing keto - there will be a lot of bunless burgers and hotdogs being eaten. The pizza - we just eat the sauce/cheese/toppings and don't eat the crust. There will be sides too - will get to see what sides I'll be able to eat when I get there. For my family, I'll make something for them to eat for supper before I leave for the event - will figure that out today.

I have an order that is coming today from Mulay's Sausage company (link is Mulay’s Sausage - Sourcing, Transparency, Premium, Delicious ). I had ordered from Mulay's for my stepmom for Mother's Day and she is extremely happy with what was ordered. So figured I would have to place an order for myself as well. :) For anyone curious - I ordered my mom something from Plummer's Sugar House in Vermont (I've been doing business with them since the early 2000's- I would even order their products and have them ship various items to me when I lived in Germany) (link is Vermont Maple Syrup and Maple Products | Plummer's Sugar House | Grafton, VT | ) - mom is extremely happy with what she received as well. It is hard living out of state and not being able to travel to where they live for Mother's Day. But at least I could get stuff ordered and shipped to them that they weren't expecting and are extremely happy with. :) Now I need to plan ahead for Father's Day in June, LOL. :D

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
That pie looks wonderful. Rhubarb is available everywhere around here now and I do like strawberry/rhubarb combos. I would not have thought of using psyllium husk as a thickener and I like that idea because it is flavourless. Once Ontario strawberries hit the market next month I will try that, as tarts instead of pie.

I'm going to do a sheet pan dinner tonight, chicken, with fennel and oranges.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Fish fry Friday. I could post pics of my fish and salad again, but….
But by chance I DID also have a piece of Strawberry rhubarb pie to go. I don’t think it was the keto variety though. Hard decision between that or the key lime.
I did pull a dead bird out of the grill of one of the waitresses cars. My son did bird removal of one of the other waitresses truck a while back. Maybe I found a new line of work. I expect a free piece of pie next week. They sure do hit a lot of birds. Better than a deer I suppose.
3F96489C-4DCD-4D2F-872B-C8A1FEE9D516.jpeg

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
67Drake - you can't go wrong with strawberry rhubarb pie. My wife just rolls her eyes when I talk about it all year. She tells me "you and your strawberry rhubarb pie". :D

The pic of the pie looks delicious. And that crust looks a lot flakier than the keto crust. And if you can get a free slice of pie for removing dead birds from the grill of a car - well worth it. :)

My sausage, meatball, and other meat items shipment finally arrived yesterday (FedEx decided it needed to spend a day and a half at a Fedex facility two days from my house). Luckily it was still frozen when it arrived (oh the wonders of dry ice for shipping, lol).

I have some of the Mild Italian Sausages thawing out in the fridge for lunch today. The rest is in the freezer and will be used for various meals. :)

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
We started the day with homemade Buttermilk waffles, I have 3 different types of waffle makers and we are downsizing appliances, I had to give the Belgian waffler one more use/chance before deciding it could go.

Later today I'm making waffle cones and waffle bowls with a waffle cone maker for ice cream cones as dessert tonight. I don't remember the last time I've used it, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort or storage space anymore.

Chili in the crockpot for tomorrow's dinner.

Haluski with both bacon and smoked sausage for dinner tonight. Maybe I'll add noodles, or just make some Mac and cheese on the side.

11761 - 11780 of 11954 Posts