Homesteading Forum banner

11721 - 11740 of 11933 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Well, the wife ate the chili we had in the freezer. So I dumped about 1/2 a can over tots I browned in the air fryer. I then put some reaper sauce over the top (canned chili is never spicy enough for me),and melted some cheddar jack over top. Pretty good! Thanks for the idea. Took less than 10 minutes to make.
F4919A31-C828-4842-84F6-18D0757B26CE.jpeg

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Last night I made another batch of meaty chili, cooked some Italian sausages, and also cooked some chicken tenders. What wasn't eaten was put in the fridge for use in meals later this week. I even made a small batch of sloppy joes by request of my two youngest (plus it used up the little bit of ground beef that was left from making chili).

Breakfast was just coffee, and for lunch today was a work meeting - there was pizza and salad. Since doing keto - I just peeled the cheese and meat toppings off and ate those and left the crust. Supper tonight was a carryout night - as it is "May the 4th be with you" (star wars reference). A local restaurant has a Han Solo triple deck burger for May 4th. So I was compelled to order one and enjoy it without the bread. My wife and oldest daughter split one (it has two 8 oz. beef patties as part of the sandwich). My other kids had some other items off the menu.

Tomorrow will be using some of the meat cooked up on Monday. Now to decide what meals to make. :D

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just figured I’d mention a new favorite. My wife and I went for a hike after we ate dinner, and she got a sweet tooth when we got home. I asked her to try my new favorite ice cream- cherry cheesecake. It’s basically vanilla ice cream with a ribbon of cherry pie filling, and chunks of graham cracker crust mixed in. It takes place of my peanut butter party, which is vanilla with a ribbon of peanut butter through it, and random peanut butter cups mixed in.

·
STILL not Alice
20,200 Posts
Fried chicken, salad, green beans almondine. :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
I was on break and saw the wife had texted that she made dinner reservations for 5:30 at a restaurant we used to eat at, that JUST reopened for dine in service. She forgot I work late tonight, then have a town meeting later. :(
Maybe tomorrow?
So I have no idea what I’m eating when I get home.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Well since yesterday was Cinco de Mayo - for supper I ended up making tacos (and those in my house that wanted taco salad had all the ingredients). Luckily I had found some keto friendly tortillas that have very low net carbs.

Earlier in the day yesterday I made a Kentucky Butter Cake (keto friendly) Link to the recipe is Kentucky Butter Cake - Keto Cake Recipe I had a small slice with some whipped cream on top. It took care of a craving for cake, and there is enough to slice and have slices wrapped and in the freezer for when a slice of cake is desired (only 3 grams net carbs per slice - 16 slices of cake total). Only bad thing is the cake stuck some and wasn't the prettiest after coming out of the Bundt pan. But looks didn't affect taste. :)

Lunch today was a salad with steak, peppers and onions, some salsa, sour cream, and guacamole on top.

For supper we made pizza. The kids got a regular pizza - They like Wild Mike's brand pizza (I do too, but....). So for my wife and I, I made a fat head pizza crust. The recipe I used is at 20 Minute Keto Pizza and topped with some sauce, pepperoni, Italian sausage, bacon, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, and some Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. The crust (well the pizza) tastes awesome - and is low carb/keto friendly.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The tacos look tasty. Do you use any taco sauce or salsa when eating them?
My wife was literally just finishing them when I walked in! Perfect timing. I ate 3. I usually put a touch of reaper salsa on them. But she used some tasty seasoning that got delivered to our house, so I held off of the heat. Sometimes the heat kills off flavor for me, so I went without it this time.
Right now we’re extremely busy with life, so cooking and even shopping is hard to do. So she started ordering food from a place called “Hello Fresh”. It’s expensive, but gives a variety of food, which is surprisingly good, and fresh.
I’m the zoning administrator for my village. Everyone starts projects in the spring, so I work my regular job, which I’m on long hours as it is, then come home and do zoning. I get a call just about daily right now for zoning. Then add in my meetings, and my own home projects, I’m swamped!

Your pizza looks fantastic! Is keto for weight loss or health? I could stand to lose a few pounds, and my wife is on a much needed health kick right now. Sometimes my big appetite and her eating better conflict.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
My wife was literally just finishing them when I walked in! Perfect timing. I ate 3. I usually put a touch of reaper salsa on them. But she used some tasty seasoning that got delivered to our house, so I held off of the heat. Sometimes the heat kills off flavor for me, so I went without it this time.
Right now we’re extremely busy with life, so cooking and even shopping is hard to do. So she started ordering food from a place called “Hello Fresh”. It’s expensive, but gives a variety of food, which is surprisingly good, and fresh.
I’m the zoning administrator for my village. Everyone starts projects in the spring, so I work my regular job, which I’m on long hours as it is, then come home and do zoning. I get a call just about daily right now for zoning. Then add in my meetings, and my own home projects, I’m swamped!

Your pizza looks fantastic! Is keto for weight loss or health? I could stand to lose a few pounds, and my wife is on a much needed health kick right now. Sometimes my big appetite and her eating better conflict.
67Drake - I'm doing keto for weight loss and in a round about way for health (as in making food choices that aren't as loaded with sugar - I love sugar -lol, and it is amazing how much of the Standard American Diet has sugar in it - often in foods we don't realize.) I've really started reading labels even more, and it can be shocking.

I'm down almost 12 pounds so far (my scale that I use measures to the tenth of a pound). My wife and I started this on April 19th. I'm sure that if I exercised more (my job entails being in front of a computer the majority of each work day) that I would lose weight faster. The hardest thing for my wife is the higher fat content of the foods that are part of the keto lifestyle (in keto a large portion of calories come from fat, then protein, and in strict keto only 20 grams of net carbs a day [net carbs are total carbs minus fiber and sugar alcohols(if any are in a food, usually if non sugar sweeteners like erythritol are used)]. Once folks get to their desired weight, many will go to 50 grams of net carbs a day). My wife has been using the my fitness pal app to track what she eats. Me I keep a running tally of net carbs in my head - and make sure I get enough fat and protein each day.

If I said I didn't get cravings, I would be a liar. But it has helped me to realize there is a whole lot of recipes out there for keto friendly items. Now if I could just find a keto recipe for strawberry rhubarb pie. :D :D

One of the books we checked out from the local library (and liked it - so ended up buying a copy on Amazon) is found at Simply Keto: A Practical Approach to Health & Weight Loss, with 100+ Easy Low-Carb Recipes (1): Ryan, Suzanne: 9781628602630: Amazon.com: Books Maybe the county library near you would have it available to check out. The author has a website Keto Karma - and from just looking at the pics of the food might make you hungry, lol. :)

11721 - 11740 of 11933 Posts