Homesteading Forum banner

11661 - 11680 of 11773 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
I was at the fish counter of my local store and saw Lake smelts for sale. Growing up we all listened for the first reports that the smelts were running, and when notice came out families, including mine, would be out scooping 'em up.
Cleaning them wasn't nearly as much fun, however Dad said that if we wanted to eat we had to help clean them too. ;) Fair enough, we had at least 300 to clean each time.

So I'll dust my already cleaned smelts with a flour and cornstarch mixture and pan fry them for dinner. Tradition in my family dictates the side....buttered brown bread.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I was at the fish counter of my local store and saw Lake smelts for sale. Growing up we all listened for the first reports that the smelts were running, and when notice came out families, including mine, would be out scooping 'em up.
Cleaning them wasn't nearly as much fun, however Dad said that if we wanted to eat we had to help clean them too. ;) Fair enough, we had at least 300 to clean each time.

So I'll dust my already cleaned smelts with a flour and cornstarch mixture and pan fry them for dinner. Tradition in my family dictates the side....buttered brown bread.
My uncles would go "smelt dipping" when i was a kid. Those were some fond memories. I haven't had smelt in about 15 years. I'm salivating thinking about how good a plate of them cooked up would taste right now. :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Same here. We used to smelt off of Waukegan Illinois when I was a kid. It was a pretty big tradition on the Great Lakes, almost like opening day of deer season. It was one of the few times I remember my dad being happy. Of coarse alcohol was involved. All I can say is what happens at the lake, stays at the lake.
I haven’t had smelt in years.

·
Gadabout
3,007 Posts
The only time I've ever had smelt was when my neighbors in Michigan went smelt dipping, then invited me over to eat. When I lived in the city, I'd never even heard of them.

I made a batch of 8 black bean burgers today. I also made some Big Mac sauce to have on them. I guess that's what I'll be eating until sometime next week.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
My uncles would go "smelt dipping" when i was a kid. Those were some fond memories. I haven't had smelt in about 15 years. I'm salivating thinking about how good a plate of them cooked up would taste right now. :)
They were delicious, exactly the way I remembered them, which isn’t always the case. They are definitely better than the smelt from overseas which I was sold once at another store.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Tonight I did a twist on Japchae. This was made with kelp noodles (contrary to my first thoughts they have a neutral taste and take on the taste of what they're cooked with). They took on the color of the soy and broth used in cooking. Japchae is usually made with sweet potato noodles. With strict keto carrots are a no go, but I wanted a couple matchstick sized carrots for color and presentation. Plus my net carbs have been low enough today, that it won't mess anything up by my eating them. The rest of the carrot I fed to my daughters rabbit.

With the noodles is some of the beef (marinated in a sugar free bulgogi marinade), spinach, some egg, a little bell pepper, scallions, and onion. On top is more of the beef, carrots, cucumber, celery, slices of scrambled egg, and some scallion greens in the center.

When I have leftovers tomorrow for lunch - I might add some kimchi and a squirt or two of gochujang. :)

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Same here. We used to smelt off of Waukegan Illinois when I was a kid. It was a pretty big tradition on the Great Lakes, almost like opening day of deer season. It was one of the few times I remember my dad being happy. Of coarse alcohol was involved. All I can say is what happens at the lake, stays at the lake.
I haven’t had smelt in years.
Tonight I did a twist on Japchae. This was made with kelp noodles (contrary to my first thoughts they have a neutral taste and take on the taste of what they're cooked with). They took on the color of the soy and broth used in cooking. Japchae is usually made with sweet potato noodles. With strict keto carrots are a no go, but I wanted a couple matchstick sized carrots for color and presentation. Plus my net carbs have been low enough today, that it won't mess anything up by my eating them. The rest of the carrot I fed to my daughters rabbit.

With the noodles is some of the beef (marinated in a sugar free bulgogi marinade), spinach, some egg, a little bell pepper, scallions, and onion. On top is more of the beef, carrots, cucumber, celery, slices of scrambled egg, and some scallion greens in the center.

When I have leftovers tomorrow for lunch - I might add some kimchi and a squirt or two of gochujang. :)

i will watch for kelp noodles and sugar free bulgogi sauce. I love beef marinated in that sauce. Your meal looks delicious

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
i will watch for kelp noodles and sugar free bulgogi sauce. I love beef marinated in that sauce. Your meal looks delicious
alida - -
For the kelp noodles, I used a brand called Sea Tangle - Home - Kelp Noodles is the website for them. They are sold on Amazon, netrition, iherb, Swanson Health, and other places. I didn't want to wait for shipping so bought them locally at Whole Foods store.

One of the local Korean markets had a different kind of noodle (seaweed noodle), I bought a package when I was there to replenish my kimchi stash - the seaweed noodle package is currently in the refrigerator to try in a different dish.

Something I read about and tried tonight is to soak the kelp noodles in hot water, some baking soda, and lemon juice. I followed the directions at this site The Secret to Delicious Kelp Noodles | Tastehaus | Recipe This allows the noodles to soften, as some reviews I read mentioned they could be chewy otherwise.

For the sugar free bulgogi - to me it is tasty - but not quite as tasty as regular bulgogi marinade. I think the recipe needs tweaked some to get it to where I would like it to be (the great thing about cooking, is tweaking recipes, lol). But it didn't taste bad.

Here is the recipe I used for sugar free bulgogi.

• 1/3 cup soy sauce (tamari can be used if you have it in your pantry)
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon powdered stevia and monk fruit sweetener (I have some in small packets - so what I used)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder (next time I will try to have fresh garlic on hand)
  • 1 teaspoon ginger powder (I prefer fresh ginger, but didn't want to buy ginger and have it go to waste if I didn't get it all used up)
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
I used about a pound and a half of sliced beef steak. Let it marinate overnight, and then used 2 tablespoons coconut oil for cooking, and when the meat was done added some toasted sesame seeds.

If one wasn't following keto - a half of a grated pear or grated apple could be added for more flavor (something I do with regular bulgogi marinade).

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
alida - -
For the kelp noodles, I used a brand called Sea Tangle - Home - Kelp Noodles is the website for them. They are sold on Amazon, netrition, iherb, Swanson Health, and other places. I didn't want to wait for shipping so bought them locally at Whole Foods store.

One of the local Korean markets had a different kind of noodle (seaweed noodle), I bought a package when I was there to replenish my kimchi stash - the seaweed noodle package is currently in the refrigerator to try in a different dish.

Something I read about and tried tonight is to soak the kelp noodles in hot water, some baking soda, and lemon juice. I followed the directions at this site The Secret to Delicious Kelp Noodles | Tastehaus | Recipe This allows the noodles to soften, as some reviews I read mentioned they could be chewy otherwise.

For the sugar free bulgogi - to me it is tasty - but not quite as tasty as regular bulgogi marinade. I think the recipe needs tweaked some to get it to where I would like it to be (the great thing about cooking, is tweaking recipes, lol). But it didn't taste bad.

Here is the recipe I used for sugar free bulgogi.

• 1/3 cup soy sauce (tamari can be used if you have it in your pantry)
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon powdered stevia and monk fruit sweetener (I have some in small packets - so what I used)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder (next time I will try to have fresh garlic on hand)
  • 1 teaspoon ginger powder (I prefer fresh ginger, but didn't want to buy ginger and have it go to waste if I didn't get it all used up)
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
I used about a pound and a half of sliced beef steak. Let it marinate overnight, and then used 2 tablespoons coconut oil for cooking, and when the meat was done added some toasted sesame seeds.

If one wasn't following keto - a half of a grated pear or grated apple could be added for more flavor (something I do with regular bulgogi marinade).
Thank you so much for the name brands and recipe. As it happens I have all of the ingredients in the house to make the sauce and the noodle packaging looks familiar. I usually use shiraki (sp) noodles from a store similar to whole foods and I’m sure they’ll stock this type. I’d like to give them a try.

You mentioned fresh ginger. I buy it fresh and keep it in the freezer until I want to use some. it grates beautifully from frozen.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Thank you so much for the name brands and recipe. As it happens I have all of the ingredients in the house to make the sauce and the noodle packaging looks familiar. I usually use shiraki (sp) noodles from a store similar to whole foods and I’m sure they’ll stock this type. I’d like to give them a try.

You mentioned fresh ginger. I buy it fresh and keep it in the freezer until I want to use some. it grates beautifully from frozen.
Thanks for the suggestion for fresh ginger. I'll have to try that with putting ginger into the freezer. Now to add ginger to my grocery list. :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Similar here. Lunch was the leftover chicken ginger stir fry. Never ate my fruit as I didn’t take my 2nd break, too busy.
Hit the ground running when I got home, so I just had a bowl of cereal, some Raisin Bran.
I just got home and threw a frozen pizza with extra mozzerella in the oven.

11661 - 11680 of 11773 Posts