Homesteading Forum banner

11281 - 11300 of 11345 Posts

·
Premium Member
41,031 Posts
I still don't need any food, the fridge still has a lot. I like to cook, so I'm thinking about making some bread and rolls. I don't remember the last time I went this long without cooking. It doesn't feel right.
I’ve not been in our kitchen since nov twenty! The day I fell and broke my arm. Thank heavens I have Yvonne to take care of me!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Speaking of Chick fI la.
I went to Dubuque yesterday, as a ladder I wanted was on closeout, and my nearest store was already out of stock. I drove past a Chick fI la, and was thinking that sounded good! I guess I’m not used to being around that many people anymore! The parking lot was stuffed, so it was a little aggravating. But I bought a few home for my sone who LOVES their basic chicken sandwiches. I ate 2 while driving. I was quite hungry as I had went to my local diner to find them closed! I forgot they closed for a week for a family vacation. :(

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Still using what's in my freezer... an experiment with a small pork loin to make bbq'd pork. The pork loin has marinated for a day and I'll start roasting it shortly. The recipe called for a lot of red food colouring which I did not add. I'll serve it with plain rice and green beans stir fried with ginger and garlic.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Tonight for supper, we had an "Italian" night. I made manicotti, some cheese stuffed shells (same filling as the manicotti), some garlic bread, and a salad.

We had scrambled eggs and sausage for breakfast, and lunch was leftover soup.

The house is starting to smell good from the Dutch apple pie that is baking in the oven. I know it is late - but I had a craving. Oh well, at least it will be baked for tomorrow. :D

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
I have never heard of using red food coloring in barbecued pork. Hmmm.
[/QUOTE
The idea of using so much food colouring to get that shiny glowing red look I see on bbq'd pork in Chinese bbq shops where I live just wasn't appealing to me.
The recipes I looked at ranged from "a few drops" for a pork loin to 2 Tbsps for a 4 lb pork shoulder. I did make the pork loin, in the oven and it tasted good, had some shininess from the hoisin and ketchup, but definitely didn't have the brighter red look on the outside. I did give it a few minutes under the broiler to get a bit of charring, one of my favourite parts of bbq'd pork (char siu).

I used this recipe
Chinese BBQ Pork (Char Siu)
Next time I'm going to try this version as I have good access to Asian grocery stores
Sweet and Sticky Char Siu (Chinese BBQ Pork)

·
Registered
980 Posts
@sniper69, I've been thinking about apple pie all day. I had a big to-do list today, but I plan on making that pie tomorrow. It breaks my heart that I'll probably have to eat the whole thing myself. 😁
Sometimes, when making good food, you have to take one for the team. LOL

If it makes it any easier, just think of 8 people and tell yourself that you're just having a slice for each of them. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
For the grand finale of fish days, tonight I'm making copycat Red Lobster Salmon New Orleans. I wonder if it's still on their menu, we have not been there in years.

Today I am also making chicken broth in the instant pot for use later in the week, I will probably freeze a quart too, it's nice to have on hand.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Well, I couldn’t resist, BLT’s again!
I did quite a bit of driving over the weekend chasing down random building materials and tools not stocked locally. Soooo....I HAD to stop at one of my favorite butchers in Cuba City, as it wasn’t much of a side trip. They have some of the best bacon I’ve tasted. Picked up some of their fresh brats too. Maybe tomorrow I’ll grill em, if I have time.
E110E42E-7556-4660-830B-4A234AE69694.jpeg
84CF9C62-399B-4432-9A11-62EBBA12034F.jpeg

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
A big pineapple banana smoothie for breakfast. Yesterday I found a bag of frozen peaches in the freezer, well past their pkg date, looked terrible, blended up fine for a banana peach smoothie.

Today is a meatloaf, a huge size, but DH will make plenty sandwiches for lunch. We are trying to get away from packaged lunch meats, I've lost my taste for them completely, DH is becoming dissatisfied with the quality no matter what the brand.

This is a most recent favorite recipe, Minus the red pepper flakes. I don't bake it in a loaf pan but on a flat pan.
Consistently good results.

·
Premium Member
41,031 Posts
A big pineapple banana smoothie for breakfast. Yesterday I found a bag of frozen peaches in the freezer, well past their pkg date, looked terrible, blended up fine for a banana peach smoothie.

Today is a meatloaf, a huge size, but DH will make plenty sandwiches for lunch. We are trying to get away from packaged lunch meats, I've lost my taste for them completely, DH is becoming dissatisfied with the quality no matter what the brand.

This is a most recent favorite recipe, Minus the red pepper flakes. I don't bake it in a loaf pan but on a flat pan.
Consistently good results.

I’m a meatloaf lover. Have you tried putting boiled eggs in the middle of the loaf?

·
newfieannie
9,633 Posts
i have tried it but my son wasn't impressed. i always thought it was just for looks really. each slice when cut would have a slice of egg. that's just us though .ymmv. i made pea soup with dumplings today and some fish hash. got the carrots ground up to make a carrot cake in a bit. i want to get ahead of the game for friday ~Georgia

·
Registered
490 Posts
I forgot I had a Chiropractor appointment this evening. So no time to grill the brats, so I just put them in a frying pan, good enough, but I like firing up the charcoal when I have time.
Meatloaf sounds great. I haven’t had that for awhile. I’ve never made it, my wife always does. Maybe I’ll plan on that for later in the week, or even make it myself, doesn’t seem too hard.

·
Premium Member
41,031 Posts
I forgot I had a Chiropractor appointment this evening. So no time to grill the brats, so I just put them in a frying pan, good enough, but I like firing up the charcoal when I have time.
Meatloaf sounds great. I haven’t had that for awhile. I’ve never made it, my wife always does. Maybe I’ll plan on that for later in the week, or even make it myself, doesn’t seem too hard.
It’s not difficult at all. And so many varieties.

·
Gadabout
2,826 Posts
I must be the only person in the world who doesn't like meatloaf. My sister loved it, so Mom made it often. I had to sit there until I cleaned my plate. Meatloaf just kept growing in my mouth, so I would sit for hours, crying. I just couldn't swallow it. Haven't eaten it since I've been grown.

·
Premium Member
41,031 Posts
I must be the only person in the world who doesn't like meatloaf. My sister loved it, so Mom made it often. I had to sit there until I cleaned my plate. Meatloaf just kept growing in my mouth, so I would sit for hours, crying. I just couldn't swallow it. Haven't eaten it since I've been grown.
We never had that problem when I was growing up. Us kids would have eat the legs off the dining room table if mom hadn’t managed to keep enough food on it! It was more a matter of wolf it down before my brothers did. Anything containing meat was prized!

11281 - 11300 of 11345 Posts