Homesteading Forum banner

11261 - 11280 of 11345 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
I made some chicken salad with some leftover rotisserie chicken that I purchased a couple days ago.
I made a wrap, using a large tortilla that I had warmed a bit in the MW, to make it pliable.
Had it with a bit of store-bought potato salad that was actually pretty good.

Planning on working on some leftovers for a day or two, to make room in the fridge.
Then I'll make my version of cabbage/potatoes/carrots/smoked sausage/onions stew in the slow cooker.
Perhaps even cut up two or three stalks of celery to add in, for the last couple hours.

Tonight I'll also make a peach/blueberry cobbler, just because I've been wanting some for a few days.
Might also make a pan of cornbread.

--Bogey

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ahh, sorry, I missed it! I’ll give one of these dumplings recipe a try, I’ve never made them before.
I picked up some haddock on the way home. I cook it simple. I put it on tinfoil,put a little butter on top of each fillet, then crush a little salt and pepper over it. Fold the tinfoil up tightly to seal it, then throw in the oven for 15 minutes or so. It always turns out flaky and moist.
I made some rice a roni rice pilaf to go with it.

·
newfieannie
9,633 Posts
that's an idea for the haddock Drake. never tried it like that. i got some taken out for supper.

never tried bisquik dumplings. i got it in the cupboard though. i do like dumplings. sometimes if i dont have anything cooked 'i'll boil up water and bouillon perhaps an onion and make a few and have them with honey mustard . (dad would use molasses) i could make a meal on that. i do them very simple. a little flour, butter, baking powder, water, salt and drop in the water. cover and cook about 10 min.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The nice thing about cooking fish in foil like that is the clean up. I love fish, but hate the lingering fish smell in the house after till the dishes are done. I put the foil on a cookie sheet while in the oven, and careful not to puncture it. The juices and butter stay in the foil. I pour down the sink when done and throw the foil out. No dishes or pans to clean or smell.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The nice thing about cooking fish in foil like that is the clean up. I love fish, but hate the lingering fish smell in the house after till the dishes are done. I put the foil on a cookie sheet while in the oven, and careful not to puncture it. The juices and butter stay in the foil. I pour down the sink when done and throw the foil out. No dishes or pans to clean or smell.
Have you ever tried rolling up a a fish fillet around a pre-cooked breakfast sausage link and baking it in foil that way? It's an interesting flavor, (flavour if you are from the great frozen North,) combination.

·
Registered
263 Posts
never tried that either. not sure about that taste. i stuff it with shrimp,crab etc. i'll try most anything once though. ~Georgia
Ok, I gotta know.

With the US dollar being worth aboot (get it, aboot) $1.25 Canadian and you being in NS, how much is lobster by the kg?

·
Registered
490 Posts
My wife made some chicken breast in the slow cooker yesterday. Then made a pot of rice and poured cream of chicken soup over the rice, then added the chicken. Simple, but one of my favorites.
She has decided she is on a “diet”. I told her she should probably make brown rice, or heck I’ll make it for her. Longer cook time, but healthier than minute rice.
Tonight we’ll probably go out for our fish fry. A neighbor told us of a great place to go about 30 miles away. Sooo...try something new, or go to our traditional place. The family that runs our “go to” diner are more or less friends of ours, so I’m kind of torn.

·
Registered
980 Posts
My wife made some chicken breast in the slow cooker yesterday. Then made a pot of rice and poured cream of chicken soup over the rice, then added the chicken. Simple, but one of my favorites.
She has decided she is on a “diet”. I told her she should probably make brown rice, or heck I’ll make it for her. Longer cook time, but healthier than minute rice.
Tonight we’ll probably go out for our fish fry. A neighbor told us of a great place to go about 30 miles away. Sooo...try something new, or go to our traditional place. The family that runs our “go to” diner are more or less friends of ours, so I’m kind of torn.
So did you try the new fish place, or go to your usual spot to yell at Tiffani for the other customers? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (I hope I remember her name correctly.)

If you did go to the new fish place - was it as good, better, or worse than your traditional go to?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Well, we had a change of plan. We own a home that we rent out by the night (or week). Someone called to rent it Saturday, so we had to go clean it, as I had been doing some work over there and needed to get my tools out of the house. So, no fish fry. :(. I just had some leftovers.
I am planning on going over to the diner for a late breakfast as soon as the renters get into town.
And yes, I’ll be harassing Tiffani. :)

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I found some Palmetto cheese someone mentioned a long while back. We topped a twice baked potato with it, liked it so much we incorporated it into the filling for a rerun the next evening. I hope the store I got it from will restock, I've never seen it before.

Last night we also made salmon patties, baked in the oven, I usually pan fry them.

I kinda dread tonight, Old Cod...from the seemingly bottomless freezer. I don't want to waste anything, but the first night of fish days featured the same, and mine was given to the dogs. I might have overlooked it...

·
Registered
980 Posts
I found some Palmetto cheese someone mentioned a long while back. We topped a twice baked potato with it, liked it so much we incorporated it into the filling for a rerun the next evening. I hope the store I got it from will restock, I've never seen it before.

Last night we also made salmon patties, baked in the oven, I usually pan fry them.

I kinda dread tonight, Old Cod...from the seemingly bottomless freezer. I don't want to waste anything, but the first night of fish days featured the same, and mine was given to the dogs. I might have overlooked it...
doozie - glad to hear you liked the Palmetto cheese. It is awesome on burgers. I fry up a burger, put the Palmetto cheese on top, let it warm some and slide it onto eithera slice of bread or a bun that has had some mayo put on it.

I haven't tried it on baked potatoes yet. That does sound good.

For supper tonight a pot of chicken tortilla soup was made. The recipe is a cross between the soup Max and Erma's sells and the soup chick-fil-a sells. It is the closest I've been able to make to the chicken tortilla soup we would have just about every Wednesday for lunch at the DFAC in Landstuhl Germany.

For lunch today, we had chicken nuggets cooked in the air fryer. The brand is Just Bare Chicken. We buy them at costco and they taste very similar to chick-fil-a nuggets. Lightly Breaded Chicken Breast Chunks - Just BARE Chicken

11261 - 11280 of 11345 Posts