Homesteading Forum banner

10961 - 10980 of 11132 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
i made 2 meat loaves for my son. going to make some kahlua fudge, also choc.bark and some cherry surprises in a bit. he isn't well today so i'll have to freeze the loaves. fridays seem so long when he doesn't come into the city. ~Georgia
Kahlua fudge sounds very tasty. Can I request the recipe?

·
newfieannie
9,492 Posts
just make the one with brown sug and whipping cream and when that is at the soft ball stage i add 3 T kahlua, some butter and ground pecans(optional) and beat with mixer. i probably added too much tonight and it wont harden. i don't like fudge too hard anyway.

some i've bought at church suppers you could break off a tooth. no matter i'll just boil it over again. i use a lot of kahlua in my baking. ~Georgia

got to get at the cherry surprises now. those are the ones with confectioners sugar, butter, coconut, almond flavoring. wrapped around a cherry and rolled in graham wafer crumbs. those are the ones my son likes best although i think it's a toss up between those and rainbow slices. ~Georgia

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Turkey pot pie filling in larger glass ramekins covered with a store bought crescent roll crust.
The breast I bought wasn't a brand name, and it has to be the meatiest I've had in years. I think we will get yet another meal from it even if it's just a hearty soup.

Pizza for lunch, just cheese, but I am trying a locally made cheese and hope its better than what I've been using.

Dessert is this, never tried before, but looks easy, just 4 ingredients I happen to have.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Thanksgiving day I smoked a turkey in our Pit Barrel Jr. It was my first time to do that and didn't know what to expect. It turned out to be so tender and juicy! I doubt I will ever cook a turkey in the oven again or deep fry one.
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Needless to say we had leftovers Friday night.

Tonight we are smoking a beef brisket. We will have potato salad and baked beans to go along with it

Attachments

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Today for lunch Broccoli cheddar soup with shredded turkey.

Dinner, "Salisbury steak" using burgers with a nice sliced mushroom sauce, mashed potatoes and green beans.

Leftover mini pie from yesterday and a tall glass of milk, it was very rich, a little goes a long way.

·
Registered
932 Posts
actually i should have said any plain fudge will do. just add kahlua etc.in place of the vanilla. i have to boil mine over again because it didn't harden yet. if i don't eat it all with a spoon. that would be good over ice cream as it is. ~Georgia
Georgia - many thanks. I'll have to try that.

Now I'm wondering if some Kahlua and some Irish Cream mixed together would make for an even more interesting flavor in the fudge.

·
newfieannie
9,492 Posts
yes it does. i've tried all that over the years. my son likes the irish cream in the rum balls instead of rum. grand marnier is excellent also. i'm using that in some vanilla wafer balls i'm making this afternoon.

already made the rainbow slices and cherry surprises this morning.( i put cherry liqueor in those instead of the almond flavoring) these are all unbaked treats. easy peasy! ~Georgia

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
A no knead bread baked in a Dutch oven in the stove, and another potato bread loaf baked in the Pullman pan. I have discovered Bob's Red Mill potato flour instead of using a boiled potato and potato water, it is so much easier but not necessarily better.

Tonight we are having something labeled Porketta, but its really just pork steaks with the Butchers seasonings. We are grilling them and also making something out of leftover baked potatoes in a foil bag alongside. Steamed broccoli florets too.

Tomorrow Chili with the no knead bread for dinner.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Salmon, hopefully on the grill. Cauliflower "mashed potatoes", a bit of steamed broccoli, and a bit of rice.

Trying a new pecan biscotti recipe today too.

·
newfieannie
9,492 Posts
pecans are the only nuts i like for baking. never made a biscotti although i have lots of recipes for them.

made a light cake today like i use to make for mom with very little fruit. had it half wrapped when i remembered to take a pic. turned out perfect. i always cut the end off to check. couldn't find cheesecloth so i cut part of a new linen cup towel and used that.
~Georgia

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
A whole chicken breast browned and then roasted in a Dutch oven at a lower temp. We did our turkey breast this way this year (Turkey breast en cocotte by America's Test Kitchen) and it was so moist, I figured I'd try Chicken, I'm hoping the gravy produced will be the same too. Various leftovers, a small salad and baked potatoes for a full meal.

·
newfieannie
9,492 Posts
same here. my son is going straight home from work to get ready for hunting early in the morning so all i did was run out early this morning to grab a few things for myself. no cooking or baking today. i've been loafing ever since i came back around 9:30. i need to clean the carpet on the steps coming downstairs but i'll leave it until tomorrow. ~Georgia

·
Registered
932 Posts
Last night was some panko breaded chicken tenders and tater tots for supper. There was plenty of fresh fruit and veg prepped for anyone in the house that wanted some.

This morning, supported one of the local donut shops by buying a dozen donuts for breakfast. Plus copious amounts of coffee. (Today is another study day for a certification test I have next week).

Supper tonight - haven't decided yet. But it is still early in the day. :)

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I'm going to try making New England Hot dog rolls/lobster rolls. I have the special pan found at the thrift shop. If all goes well we will have toasted hot dog rolls and dogs, coleslaw and fries in the air fryer tonight.
I'm not loving the dough from the recipe I'm using so fingers crossed. I still have plenty of time to try another recipe if this one is a flop.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
We're having spareribs, and coleslaw with a oil/vinegar dressing for dinner tonight, and I'm going to bake a acorn squash while the ribs are in the oven anyway. Some squash for dinner tonight, the remainder tomorrow - or I may freeze it in 1/2 cup servings for later. Dessert will be fresh raspberries and whipped cream.

10961 - 10980 of 11132 Posts