Homesteading Forum banner

10941 - 10960 of 10962 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
I found several skewers of lamb in the freezer - actually they fell out of the freezer on to my foot when I had it open looking for something else. They're defrosting now. I think I'm gong to pick up a sampler of dips and salads from my local Middle Eastern restaurant later today and that's dinner, today and probably tomorrow too.

·
Registered
896 Posts
We had rice with our pot roast last night, so tonight we are having hamburger fried rice.
It sounded a little different to me, I usually just use leftover pre cooked meat but I see all sorts of ideas for fresh burger online.
Fresh burger can be used for lots of things. One idea is to make a homemade version of burger helper. One I've made many times (and sometimes there are small variations done, depending on what is on hand) I usually start with bell pepper, onion, and celery (diced small) cooked until softened, after that is ready, add in the ground beef. Once that is cooked and crumbled, add in a can of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, some broth or water, and the egg noodles (I usually have extra wide on hand). Any herbs, spice, salt, or pepper that you want to add can be added Stir and bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a low simmer. Stir every so often and it is usually done getting happy in about 10-12 minutes. From start to finish is about 30 minutes. A Veg, salad, and/or bread can be served on the side. I have also changed it up by adding some Worcestershire or Maggi seasoning to the pepper, onion, celery mix. Have also added carrots in at the same time as the other veg, have added in some frozen peas about 5 minutes before it is done cooking, topped with sour cream or cheese, etc. It is a versatile base to start with. :) I have also used canned chicken breast to make a sort of chicken helper (last time I did this was late last week).

·
Registered
896 Posts
Venison phò

I'm wiping the drool off my keyboard. Gotta love Pho. I usually get it at a couple different restaurants locally, and order it with chicken or beef (I wish they had venison on the menu). I don't get creative with some of the other proteins offered at the restaurants. :)

Now if you make and post a picture of some som tum, I might have to replace my keyboard from drool damage. :D

As for tonight - we had some lasagna rolls for supper (had a cheese filling like manicoti).

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
DH had leftover pork tenderloin and ham for a Cuban style sandwich for lunch I had a bit too.

Dinner is a meatloaf mixed at the store and even comes in the baking pan, I think there is ground pork involved and something special with their choice of seasoning, so when the price is right I pick one up.
Baked potatoes, beets and maybe a home made mushroom gravy.

The grocery store was crazy busy with everyone picking up turkeys. I picked up a good sized breast that I'll let defrost for Thanksgiving.

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
i've never seen a meat loaf already made up . although they have quite a few different things there in the superstore . i'll ask the guys. my son likes meatloaf and i'm not all that good at them.

i threw together a dump cake today to use up all the leftover fruit and whatnot. i must say there's a lovely smell in the house. i used about a cup rum to mix it all together. that's it for me. i usually have plenty around for company but no one is dropping in this year. ~Georgia

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Home made KFC bowls tonight with side salads.

I have a Pullman loaf pan that has been waiting to be used for years, and will be trying it for sandwich bread tonight or tomorrow.
Broccoli cheddar cheese soup made in the instant pot tomorrow too.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Tomorrow for dinner, Pasta e fagioli with Italian sausage that is then baked as a casserole.
I'll make the sausage stuffing for Thanksgiving tomorrow too.
I think stuffing is another one of those things that is better the second day.

I'll scale the recipes down and get two items from one package of the sausage.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Been a lot of venison go through here lately.

Steaks, bacon wrapped tenderloins, phò, fajitas, heart n onions, jerky, chicken fried backstrap, etc!

I can practically smell all that smoked and grilled meat up here. Heart and onion, I haven't eaten heart in years, even then it was cold and sliced thinly like a cold cut, not hot.

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
i haven't seen heart in years either. if i remember correctly mom use to bake them with slices of fat pork laid on top. never thought to ask my son what he did with the one he got last weekend. dad would really like those with onions. never heard of Pho. have to look that one up. ~Georgia

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
just took a few orange rolls from the oven. got bread on to rise now and a lamb stew cooking .

i forgot it was wednesday and i didn't have anything ready for my son for the weekend. wont take long though.

this week i plan to make pistachio squares for his dessert which is easy . ~Georgia

·
Registered
47 Posts
i haven't seen heart in years either. if i remember correctly mom use to bake them with slices of fat pork laid on top. never thought to ask my son what he did with the one he got last weekend. dad would really like those with onions. never heard of Pho. have to look that one up. ~Georgia
Phò is vietnamese noodle soup. Bone broth, think beef, rice noodles. Great stuff

·
Registered
896 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Supper today for my household was turkey breast, black forest ham, mashed taters, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, brussel sprouts, corn bread stuffing, parker house style rolls, and gravy (both turkey and ham gravy). Dessert items include pumpkin pie, dutch apple pie, whipped cream, and an item in memory of my late Mother in Law called Pink stuff (cool whip, cottage cheese, crushed pineapple, and strawberry jello mixed all together). It was all washed down with sweet tea, and after supper I enjoyed a nice Paulaner Octoberfest beer (I have a few left from October, lol).

I hope everyone's day has been filled with many blessings and good food.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
This morning we had a sausage stuffing omelette, inspired by a you tube video and we thought we'd like it. It was ok.
Turkey sandwiches for lunch and then open faced with gravy and an assortment of leftovers for dinner.

·
newfieannie
9,307 Posts
i made 2 meat loaves for my son. going to make some kahlua fudge, also choc.bark and some cherry surprises in a bit. he isn't well today so i'll have to freeze the loaves. fridays seem so long when he doesn't come into the city. ~Georgia

10941 - 10960 of 10962 Posts