Homesteading Forum banner

10881 - 10900 of 11146 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Doozie, did you make that delicious looking meat sauce stuffed spaghetti squash? If you did make it and had leftovers....did everything reheat well? I ate very little squash most of my life, now I'm trying to make up for lost time.
No, but I will be trying it with the Chili leftovers tomorrow for lunch with cheddar on top. Same idea so it should work.

I'll let you know how it goes.

When I grew up we only had acorn squash once a year. :)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Well, the Chili in the spaghetti squash for lunch was great.
I ended up following the recipe, it took less time to bake the squash than called for, and I broiled the filled squash at the end to melt cheese on top.
I would think it would reheat well, but spaghetti squash can be a bit watery, I'd poke a hole in the bottom to release some liquid before I were to store it as a leftover.

DH said It was surprisingly good, which is code for He was not sure he would like it.

We will do meatballs and sauce instead of meat sauce in the future.

Tonight we are having hamburgers

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Well, the Chili in the spaghetti squash for lunch was great.
I ended up following the recipe, it took less time to bake the squash than called for, and I broiled the filled squash at the end to melt cheese on top.
I would think it would reheat well, but spaghetti squash can be a bit watery, I'd poke a hole in the bottom to release some liquid before I were to store it as a leftover.

DH said It was surprisingly good, which is code for He was not sure he would like it.
View attachment 91763

We will do meatballs and sauce instead of meat sauce in the future.

Tonight we are having hamburgers View attachment 91764
Thank you for the update Doozie. The squash looks delicious, and is something I could easily make. I've noted your point about making sure there is somewhere for extra liquid to drain out. Alida

·
Registered
933 Posts
Last night I started beef tips and rice and a pot of beef stew. I no sooner start browning the beef and the request comes "if you haven't started cooking yet, can we have swedish meatballs?" So I made swedish meatballs (I keep a bag or two of ikea meatballs in the freezer for fast meals, lol), served with mashed potatoes and steamed green beans. I still finished cooking the beef tips and beef stew. That way supper was already cooked for today (plus I could have stew at lunch, lol).

and for tomorrow - Happy Halloween to everyone. The plan is to make some smokeys in a blanket, homemade cheese sauce for tortilla chips, pasta salad, and smoked pork loin (for bbq sandwiches). Also, I hope to make a banana cake with cream cheese frosting. That way when some neighbors are over there is some food to snack on (we always set up the fire pit and sit around it on halloween - that way a beer can be enjoyed while handing out candy to the trick or treaters.. :D )

·
Banned
746 Posts
Had an 8 year old meat loaf seasoning packet which I tried out with 1/2 # of fresh 80% wall mart cow. Its good

for 2 # so I poured it in a cereal bowl, mixed it up a little with a spoon and used about half. Pinched 3 rainbow

classic slices of bread into crumb size..set on top of fridge to dry. Set toaster oven to 375°..

Placed hamburger in beat-up plastic bowl..edges had toothmarks from when I used it as a dogfood

bowl. Labs will chew anything when their pups. --- Added 1 egg, seasoning, 1/8 cup milk..actually

used coffee rich. Milk sub. Approximately 1/4 cup of catchup. That helps when mixing it together.

Handful of semi dry bread crumbs..

Made a loaf and put it in a casserole dish that fits in the toaster oven. And finally I placed a bunch

of armour bacon strips on top, secured with tooth pics. Cooked for 35 minutes and added THE

secrete ingredient. My meat loaf frosting consisting of a big ole squirt of catsup mixed with maple

syrup and a dap of kc masterpiece barbeque sauce.

It was delicious..

·
Banned
746 Posts
Had an 8 year old meat loaf seasoning packet which I tried out with 1/2 # of fresh 80% wall mart cow. Its good

for 2 # so I poured it in a cereal bowl, mixed it up a little with a spoon and used about half. Pinched 3 rainbow

classic slices of bread into crumb size..set on top of fridge to dry. Set toaster oven to 375°..

Placed hamburger in beat-up plastic bowl..edges had toothmarks from when I used it as a dogfood

bowl. Labs will chew anything when their pups. --- Added 1 egg, seasoning, 1/8 cup milk..actually

used coffee rich. Milk sub. Approximately 1/4 cup of catchup. That helps when mixing it together.

Handful of semi dry bread crumbs..

Made a loaf and put it in a casserole dish that fits in the toaster oven. And finally I placed a bunch

of armour bacon strips on top, secured with tooth pics. Cooked for 35 minutes and added THE

secrete ingredient. My meat loaf frosting consisting of a big ole squirt of catsup mixed with maple

syrup and a dap of kc masterpiece barbeque sauce.

It was delicious..
Forgot to mention after frosting the loaf, continue cooking for 25 minutes.

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
I ate very little squash most of my life, now I'm trying to make up for lost time.
One word:
BUTTERNUT

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
One word:
BUTTERNUT
Thank you! I am a fan of butternut squash soup and diced, cubed squash roasted. I like the recipe using Bay seasoning.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Bacon on a griddle on the grill, DH wants bacon wrapped chicken breast tonight.
Roasted carrots, onions and red potatoes on the side.
A batch of coleslaw for later in the week too.

We will use the extra bacon for a bacon omelette tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Tonight a Gyro pizza, sounds odd to me but we're going to try it.
This recipe is the general idea I'm going for.
I made homemade gyro meat a while back and froze what we didn't use, it's time for it to move out of the freezer.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Yesterday afternoon we had an early dinner with 2 friends. We were sitting at an outdoor 10 foot long table with each couple sitting at each end of the table. We had smoked oysters, shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce with horseradish, celery, green onions, green olives, kalamata olives, radishes, homemade salsa, hummus, chips, raw cauliflower, pickled mixed vegetables, garlic pickles, homemade guacamole, pork rinds and mucho glasses of wine and beer.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
So Monday night was my first attempt at Pad Thai. Our internet is down so I started looking for a recipe in cookbooks. I found one in Frugal Gourmet. Basically...it sucked lol. It was edible! Enough said.

Last night I made a modified Moo Goo Gai Pan. I say modified because I didn't follow a recipe and made it from taste. Chicken, Mushrooms, Celery, Onion, Garlic, Chicken broth, Scallions. Served over rice. It was quite tasty! DH gave it a thumbs up!

10881 - 10900 of 11146 Posts