Homesteading Forum banner

10821 - 10840 of 10868 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Gayle, I wish I had someone teach me to cook way back when. My mom didn't like a messy kitchen or any help I guess. My MIL didn't really cook from scratch. Sounds like fun to me!

Today I made a pork carnitas Hawaiian pizza for lunch. I had Some premade meat in the freezer, and now I always have frozen pizza dough balls on hand too. Turned out great, something I would never have thought of. Just enough zippy flavor.
I watch Sam the Cooking Guy on You tube, he swears a lot, but we've enjoyed getting new ideas from him and he made pizza video yesterday

Tonights dinner is a stew in the crockpot, bread and butter.

·
Gadabout
2,711 Posts
Doozie, the only thing I ever helped with when I lived at home was mashed potatoes. When I got married the first time, I couldn't cook a thing. I've made it a point to teach all of my kids to cook so they wouldn't end up in that situation. Now the in-laws are wanting to learn. I'm happy to teach them and they're so proud of themselves! I love it!

i ended up making small pizza crusts out of the rest of the dough, so I had DIL make a pizza spread to put on them (mozzarella, slivered pepperoni, and enough pizza sauce to moisten everything.) I also taught her how to make pizza sauce. She took pics and put it on her FB page.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Butter chicken with naan to soak up the sauce. The side was a simple cucumber salad dressed with a mint and yogurt dressing. I don't usually make dessert but I did today, baked apples. They apples will keep nicely for a couple more days for breakfast lunch or dinner.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I ended up making biscuits for last nights stew, the leftovers became biscuits and sausage gravy for DH breakfast, I snuck a bite or two.

Lunch is the rest of the Pork Carnitas meat on buns, I might add a BBQ sauce to mine.

Dinner is the last of the stew for DH and a salad for me, but for some reason I feel like making French toast instead. So we will see what happens.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
We were so busy today I should have used the crock pot for something. I just didn't think ahead. It's going to be home made KFC bowls, easy enough.

I've also been enjoying melted butter and those mock crab sticks, and enjoying them enough to pick up more my last time out.

Tomorrow is a shrimp, chicken and sausage Jambalaya. I'll try to shrink the recipe down to a two or three serving size.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Last night Susie made Brochette de Camarones which is peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, ham and shrimp. Also we had refried beans but we added bacon drippings and cheese to it. We mixed it all together and heated it up.

·
Gadabout
2,711 Posts
I had a pumpkin that was getting a little soft, so I roasted it, scooped it out and mashed it. Then I added some of it to pancake batter, along with some pumpkin pie spice, and made pancakes. I made a batch of Blonde Butter Sauce a couple of days ago, so I served it with that. I could just drink that sauce!

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
It's a rainy day here, perfect for making a hot dinner. I'm making a new recipe, a pork tenderloin stuffed with apricots and cranberries, plus rosemary. The oven will be on for that so I'm going to roast some sweet potato cubes, and asparagus too.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
It's a day off here, convienience foods from the freezer/leftovers.

I took a very small beef brisket from the freezer for tomorrow. I'll pressure cook it, the recipe says add liquid smoke, hopefully it will be good.
I'm just going to be chopping it and making sandwiches.

·
Gadabout
2,711 Posts
We have tons of food in the fridge, as usual, so I'm teaching DIL to make bagels. She did a great job! She used up the last of the no-rise dough she made a few days ago, so we'll try another kind tomorrow or the next day (whenever we run out of bread-y things)

I also made some Teriyaki sauce so we could change up some of the meat. Gotta keep things interesting.

10821 - 10840 of 10868 Posts