Homesteading Forum banner

10721 - 10740 of 10784 Posts

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Nothing sounds good this morning. Gah. Maybe it's a takeout night... or I'll suddenly have an inspiration.
I was inspired by a package of Cajun spiced beef sausage I found in the freezer. I sauteed about every veggies I had- sweet onion, zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus, green pepper, mushrooms, and I'm sure I forgot a couple in olive oil with "Slap Yer Mama" spice mix. It was delicious, the sausage and spice mix gave it the just right amount of flavor.

Last night we nibbled on cheese and meats, neither one of us was hungry after a late lunch with the grands.

Tonight is Mr. Pixie's perfected marinated grilled chicken (it's become a once a week thing), grilled romaine salad, and I think the eggplant, mushroom, spinach side again. It's become a favorite.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What a day! My hubby got mea portable dishwasher witha water tank. I dont have running water so this seems like a perfect way to make things a bit easier. However I sprained my ankle so i am not able to get it set up and play with it for a few days. :cautious:
We have to makeatough decision about my turkeys.🦃 They tore apartmy garden, they attacked my dogs and they devoured close to hatching duck eggs. They have always been adventurous, but they are getting bad. Might have to have a feast. How is everyone elses day goin

·
Gadabout
2,668 Posts
I've got too many kitchen projects going today. Having a hard time keeping up. It doesn't help that my son has been in the kitchen all morning, baking a cake and dipping strawberries in chocolate. He made a chocolate layer cake, filled and frosted on the sides with strawberry icing. Then he stood Kit-Kats on end around the sides and tied them with ribbon (mostly to keep them in place) so it looks like a basket. He saved the leftover chocolate from the strawberries, added some whipping cream, and made a ganache to cover the top of the cake. Once the strawberries had hardened, he piled them on top of the ganache so it looks like a basket full of strawberries. He's taking it to work to surprise his boss for her birthday. She is also his best friend. She's going to love it!

I pulled the meat off a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store (They're $2-3 cheaper than raw chickens and they're already cooked). I put the meat in the fridge and have the bones cooking for broth.

I also made a batch of bean burgers (8 of them), topped them with 2 slices of cheese, put them in buns, and wrapped in waxed paper. All they need now is a quick heating in the microwave, condiments, and a pickle.

I've got the dehydrator full of kale, spinach, and parsley. When it's dry, I plan on crumbling it all together and storing it for use in soups and casseroles. Not a whole lot of flavor, but loads of nutrients.

I also made a batch of overnight oats with cherries and bananas. I start with a pint of homemade yogurt and add things until it's good. Then I put it in jelly glasses and put on the lids. This batch made 6 jars, so I'll have first breakfast for the next 6 days. (Second breakfast is a breakfast sandwich, which I made yesterday)

Is it naptime yet?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I was inspired by a package of Cajun spiced beef sausage I found in the freezer. I sauteed about every veggies I had- sweet onion, zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus, green pepper, mushrooms, and I'm sure I forgot a couple in olive oil with "Slap Yer Mama" spice mix. It was delicious, the sausage and spice mix gave it the just right amount of flavor.

Last night we nibbled on cheese and meats, neither one of us was hungry after a late lunch with the grands.

Tonight is Mr. Pixie's perfected marinated grilled chicken (it's become a once a week thing), grilled romaine salad, and I think the eggplant, mushroom, spinach side again. It's become a favorite.
Enjoy Cajun food while in south

Louisana Jambalaya with mostly Crawfish. Love that Cajun food while in South Louisiana.

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
Pulling some tamales out of the freezer for supper, making tortillas (corn and flour) tonight for tomorrow. Farriers are coming they will be at neighbors ranch, gonna be a big get together from surrounding area. Be a lot of horses from the area and old friends and a heck of a lot of food!! So eating light today. :p

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Enjoy Cajun food while in south

Louisana Jambalaya with mostly Crawfish. Love that Cajun food while in South Louisiana.
We enjoyed a lot of Cajun food while we were in New Orleans in February, the food is simply awesome. Our son in law taught us Yankees how to eat a crawfish at the Cajun festival in VA years ago. Good stuff.

Reactions: susieneddy

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
It's a beautiful cool fallish day today, highs around 70. I'm doing a beef roast in the slow cooker, roasted turnips, golden beets, and brussel sprouts in the oven, and making a fresh salad.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Tonight will be copycat KFC bowls with fresh corn kernels, we've almost finished the bakers dozen we picked up. I meant to freeze some, but I'm short on space in the freezer.

My cinnamon rolls this morning were a copy cat Pecan cinnamon roll from Cinnabon. Dough and I do not get along at times, and today it did not want to rise, I plugged ahead and baked the little risers anyway. Sicklingly sweet is the best way to describe what came of it. Trashed it after sampling. :(
We didn't need a whole pan of 12 rolls sitting around anyway. I'll stick to my recipes for two source if I try again.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
We have some beautiful peppers that are at peak, so I'm making chicken scaloppine with peperonata, and salad.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Last night's dinner was homemade pizza using a recipe from a friend . I had that recipe for more than 30 years and lost it! Thank you Esther for giving it to me again.

I added the sausage lady spicy Italian sausage, peppers & onions from Rosy' s vegetable stand. Pretty home grown dinner!

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Last night turned into leftovers for dinner. Tonight will be the chicken scaloppine with peperonata, and salad.

10721 - 10740 of 10784 Posts