Homesteading Forum banner

10701 - 10720 of 10784 Posts

·
Gadabout
2,668 Posts
As usual, we're all eating something different. I had some plain baked fish filets in the fridge, so I heated a couple of them in the microwave, slapped on some cheese, put them on buns, and topped with McSauce. Some ate black bean and rice burgers, some little finger sandwiches made from chicken and cheddar between layers of canned croissant dough and baked. Choice of green salad or carrot salad as a side.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Tonight is hot pork sausage egg roll in a bowl. Plain ol comfort food.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Last night's dinner was a labor of love. About 6 hours in the making but oh so worth it! We bought 4 beautiful lamb Shanks from a local expat. Her lamb is amazing by the way.

First the lamb Shanks were browned on all sides forming a great fond. Then we put carrots, celery, onions and garlic in the good processor and processed till the were small gravel. Drained excess fat , added fresh olive oil and veggies and cooked until they were browned...about 20 minutes of stirring. Then added tomato paste and browned for another 5 minutes. Then added 2 cups of Cote du Rhone and reduced by half. Added lamb Shanks and enough water for the sauce to cover the shanks. Baked for 4 hours, adding water and stirring. Last half hour with lid off to brown. Served with cheesy grits!

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Last night's dinner was a labor of love. About 6 hours in the making but oh so worth it! We bought 4 beautiful lamb Shanks from a local expat. Her lamb is amazing by the way.

First the lamb Shanks were browned on all sides forming a great fond. Then we put carrots, celery, onions and garlic in the good processor and processed till the were small gravel. Drained excess fat , added fresh olive oil and veggies and cooked until they were browned...about 20 minutes of stirring. Then added tomato paste and browned for another 5 minutes. Then added 2 cups of Cote du Rhone and reduced by half. Added lamb Shanks and enough water for the sauce to cover the shanks. Baked for 4 hours, adding water and stirring. Last half hour with lid off to brown. Served with cheesy grits!
That sounds wonderful.

Reactions: susieneddy

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Tonight is hot pork sausage egg roll in a bowl. Plain ol comfort food.
I had not heard of this recipe until you described it in a post some time ago. It's become one of my favourite easy to make and savoury meals. As a matter of fact, I have a pork roast thawing in the fridge that I might just leave until tomorrow - and have this for dinner tonight instead.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I thought that I was going to take a cooking-break for a few days, but apparently not. I had a few pounds of ground chuck left over from the burgers that I grilled & the meatloaf that I made over the weekend. So, I made a 7-layer casserole (also called shipwreck casserole), and I also made a Mexican casserole. I'll freeze most of the casseroles and the rest of the GC.

OK, it's official! I am now indeed taking several days off from cooking, because I am not only "cooked out," but I also have nowhere to put anything else, freezers and fridge are crammed full.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
I'm making a southwestern chicken salad, all the usual salady things, plus zesty black beans and queso fresco.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
It's either Salisbury steaks or loose meat sandwiches, it all depends on if the meat Is thawed by the time I want to make dinner.
Corn on the cob, cabbage and onions, and potatoes in some form on the side.

Leftover Minestrone soup for lunch, I made a full recipe and we will have it for a few days.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Grafton County Couple said:
All you can eat leftovers. 🙄
Hahaha! Yes, all you can eat leftovers for several days.
I tend to buy way too much when foods are on sale, and then I cook huge batches because it takes little extra effort to cook huge batches at one time, than it does to cook small batches.

I also tend to cook a few things at the same time, for the same reason. I figure that once I've got the oven going, then I might as well put it to good use.

The downside to my cooking method, is that I end up with a plethora of cooked foods that need to be frozen.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Nothing sounds good this morning. Gah. Maybe it's a takeout night... or I'll suddenly have an inspiration.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
A nice chuck roast in the crock pot covered in carrots, garlic and onions. Rice with diced celery and mushrooms on the side.

Hot leftover roast sandwiches for lunch tomorrow, mmmm!
Sometimes I look forward more to the leftovers than the original meal.

10701 - 10720 of 10784 Posts