Homesteading Forum banner

10501 - 10520 of 10550 Posts

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Today we are having shaved steak sandwiches with sliced tomatoes.

I'm going to make a small batch of corn relish that keeps in the fridge for a few days I guess. I Never made it before and one of the ingredients is tumeric, which I know nothing about, but happen to have in my spice stash.

·
Registered
104 Posts
New Mexico style enchiladas, the way my grandma used to make.

For those who don't know what this is: in New Mexico, they make enchiladas flat, and stack them. So you layer a tortilla with sauce and cheese, then another one, as many layers as you want. Additional toppings can go on top (I do tomatoes and onions), and it's topped with a fried egg.

I order chile a few times per year from Santa Fe - Always Hatch chile for this, nothing else tastes quite the same. There's something about the soil I guess.

(Image from Enchiladas – New Mexico Style | Cocina California )

·
Registered
32 Posts
New Mexico style enchiladas, the way my grandma used to make.

For those who don't know what this is: in New Mexico, they make enchiladas flat, and stack them. So you layer a tortilla with sauce and cheese, then another one, as many layers as you want. Additional toppings can go on top (I do tomatoes and onions), and it's topped with a fried egg.

I order chile a few times per year from Santa Fe - Always Hatch chile for this, nothing else tastes quite the same. There's something about the soil I guess.

View attachment 89819

(Image from Enchiladas – New Mexico Style | Cocina California )
Thanks for sharing. How do you preserve your hatch Chilis ? I brought back a big sack from New Mexico on an elk hunting trip a few years ago and they started going bad really quick.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for sharing. How do you preserve your hatch Chilis ? I brought back a big sack from New Mexico on an elk hunting trip a few years ago and they started going bad really quick.
I order dried powder mostly. You can also get dried whole chiles; That's the most common way to preserve them. If you have a large bunch of fresh chiles, you can also freeze them. They don't roast as well if you do that, but they're otherwise good for quite a long time that way.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have been having a lot of fruit/veggie platter meals lately.
For today’s supper, I thawed a large amount of smoked pulled pork, so I’m having a fairly large portion of it with Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey-Chipotle Sauce over a slice of toasted Italian bread. I’ll also heat up some Tater Tots and have some cantaloupe/blueberries to balance out the meal.

·
Registered
30,709 Posts
I think we're grilling tuna steaks. I found a recipe for baked zucchini spears that sounds good, and a big salad.

·
Registered
30,709 Posts
Some type of grilled steaks, sauteed green beans, grilled eggplant, and a side salad.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Tuna salad with chopped fresh parsley and the parsley stems. There was a restaurant that prepared their tuna with the finely chopped stems where I used to live, it gives it a little bit of a unique taste.

Leftover pot roast for me tonight, the recipe called for blending half the veggies and cooking liquid, and returned to the crock, it made the gravy much thicker and very tasty.
DH is having a Chicken cordon bleu from the freezer, with some leftover veggies from the last few days. Basically a no cook night here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm again having pulled smoked pork with Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle BBQ sauce, over a slice of toasted Italian bread. I enjoyed it so much last night that I decided to have it again. I'll also have some Tater Tots and a tossed salad with some kind of vinaigrette, depending on what needs to be used up.

·
Registered
30,709 Posts
We're having a late lunch to celebrate a milestone for our granddaughter. It's at an Italian restaurant, but I don't know what I want yet. I'm thinking about a green shrimp curry for supper.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Burgers tonight for dinner and then again tomorrow for lunch with the extra I'll make.
DH would probably eat them every day if he could.
A side of the first zucchini from the garden, (maybe the only one,something very wonky going on with the plants) into the frypan with tomato, onion and melted cheese.

10501 - 10520 of 10550 Posts