Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 445 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I came home from work and my wife had a Chefs Surprise in the crockpot.
It basically looks like her chili, but different proportions - ground beef,beans, noodles, corn, but potatoes were added too. Then she realized no chili pepper in the house, so she used a chicken broth base. Looks more like chicken noodle soup than chili I guess.
She said”I don’t know what to call it, but see how you like it.”
It’s great! :).
I’m calling it “White chili”
Food Cookware and bakeware Ingredient Cooking Fluid

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Last night we had BLT's for supper.

Monday night we had totcho's (tater tot's instead of tortilla chips for nachos).

Sunday, we made for supper some spinach artichoke dip served with some pita chips and for the main dish had manicotti.

Saturday was a chili night Had a few fries leftover from Friday, so had to try the suggestion of chili with fries - they taste decent dipped in the chili. Also made a sweet cornbread (using some stone ground corn meal from Geechie Boy Mill - Home ).

Friday was a burger kind of night - so had a smashburger with some smash fries from the local Smashburger restaurant..
I opened this thread and all I saw was BLT’s.
Mmmm....wife was just asking me what I wanted for supper. Looks like I’ll have to run to the store for lettuce and tomato.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Has she seen Calamityware?
Look closely for a twist in traditional patterns.

Never saw that! I’ll have to show her.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Well, the thread is titled “...at your house “, but the wife and I usually go for fish fry on Friday nights at the diner in the next town over. Will my post get deleted?
Anyway,I started out with a salad from the salad bar. I went back and got a cup of their soup of the day- fish chowder. Yum :). Then a third trip for some cottage cheese, tapioca pudding, and cole slaw.
The meal was their cod with some seasoned fries.
Yesterday was my birthday, so my favorite waitress gave me a piece of Peanut butter silk pie, on the house, for desert.
Before you skinny people start giving me verbal abuse for the amount of food. I took the fish home for lunch,for today, and my son and I split the pie.
Tomorrow is my waitresses birthday, she asked me to make sure I come back for it. While I was paying, I asked her sister (another waitress, it’s run by the whole family), what her sister would like as a present. She said lottery tickets. Oh boy! That was easy! So I’ll be heading back tomorrow for a burger,with a card stuffed with lottery tickets.
Food Tableware Recipe Ingredient Salad
Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Recipe
Food Tableware Ingredient Dishware Recipe
Food Tableware Table Cake decorating Candle

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
@67drake, I've been reading on 6 forums and that is the nicest thing I've read all day. 💓
Thanks!
The family that owns it has become friends of ours, pretty much. The 3 sisters that waitress are all different in personality, and my favorite has that kind of personality that begs me to give her a hard time. All in fun of coarse.
Last week we got there later than usual, so they were running low on dinners. Another family came in after us and Tiffani said they were out of cod, and had 1 order of Waleye left. I yelled out “It doesn’t sound like much of a fish fry!” The waitress yelled back “Shut up! You’re lucky we gave you yours!”
Of coarse the customers all start laughing at this. Just another day at the diner.
A shirt they made, just for me. :)
Sleeve T-shirt Font Pink Magenta
Shoulder Neck Jaw Sleeve Textile

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Home by myself tonight, so tradition makes it ribeye night. It was -5 degrees outside,so the grilling was a little more challenging.
It turned out OK. I dropped the charcoal bed down a little lower than usual about 1/2 way through and added a little cook time to compensate for it being colder out. That crank on the grill front that raises and lowers the bed was frozen solid. I poured a little liquid dish soap on it and finally got it to break free and turn.
T
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Flash photography Automotive exterior
Food Tableware Recipe Beef Drinkware

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
$9.99 a lb. here too in Wisconsin. A few months back it was $3-4 a lb. more. I’ve had pretty good luck buying at a small grocery store a few blocks from my work. Every once in a while when they put out fresh steaks, they’ll mark the ones on the rack 1/2 price. I’ve got them before and they’re excellent. Some people wouldn’t I imagine, but they’re not old and expired, just not as fresh.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Good info, some don’t know that.
Me personally, if I have the choice between a steak a X $’s per pound, that was just put out, and the same cut at half price, but just 1 day older, I’m grabbing the half price one.
I buy packaged food all the time out of the “bargain” area. Coffee, cereal, ect, even if past the expiration date.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Never knew that about tenderloin.

A couple years ago I was at a butcher in a town near me. I got my bacon, and asked what they had for making hamburgers as I didn’t see anything in their case. They said they don’t really sell any , but I can order some if I call ahead. The guy pointed out that have premade patties in the freezer though. I bought a box, not cheap either. That were AWFUL! Way too lean and dry. I actually gave the rest of the box to a neighbor.
On the other end of the spectrum, I made the mistake of buying some Aldi’s 70/30 a few years back. When trying to form the patties they would just fall apart and leave a 1/4” thick layer of fat on my hands. Also awful for burgers. I’ve bought 70/30 before and since and had good luck making hamburgers. The meat from Aldi’s would be better off being used a a machining lube!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Ahh, sorry, I missed it! I’ll give one of these dumplings recipe a try, I’ve never made them before.
I picked up some haddock on the way home. I cook it simple. I put it on tinfoil,put a little butter on top of each fillet, then crush a little salt and pepper over it. Fold the tinfoil up tightly to seal it, then throw in the oven for 15 minutes or so. It always turns out flaky and moist.
I made some rice a roni rice pilaf to go with it.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
The nice thing about cooking fish in foil like that is the clean up. I love fish, but hate the lingering fish smell in the house after till the dishes are done. I put the foil on a cookie sheet while in the oven, and careful not to puncture it. The juices and butter stay in the foil. I pour down the sink when done and throw the foil out. No dishes or pans to clean or smell.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Have you ever tried rolling up a a fish fillet around a pre-cooked breakfast sausage link and baking it in foil that way? It's an interesting flavor, (flavour if you are from the great frozen North,) combination.
No. Sounds good actually.
I am in the great frozen tundra, but these days I guess that goes pretty far south.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
My wife made some chicken breast in the slow cooker yesterday. Then made a pot of rice and poured cream of chicken soup over the rice, then added the chicken. Simple, but one of my favorites.
She has decided she is on a “diet”. I told her she should probably make brown rice, or heck I’ll make it for her. Longer cook time, but healthier than minute rice.
Tonight we’ll probably go out for our fish fry. A neighbor told us of a great place to go about 30 miles away. Sooo...try something new, or go to our traditional place. The family that runs our “go to” diner are more or less friends of ours, so I’m kind of torn.

1 - 20 of 445 Posts