Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 490 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Bubble and squeak? if'n memory serves me it's the same (within reason) as a New England Boiled Dinner. Last time I had it was in a "pub" outside of Boston...

As to what for dinner - power was out for bout 6 hours yesterday so come bout 6 last night I ventured out to the freezer and snagged a packet of hot dogs. With power out no water, so went into pantry and got out a packet of apple juice. Cooked the hot dogs in apple juice with a little hot mustard on the bread. Suprisingly very good.... or maybe I was just very hungry.. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Had a chance to eat Asian take-out the other day and while waiting for the meal I read the ingredient list on a packet of Soy Sauce. It contained:
Water, salt, vegetable protein, corn syrup, caramel color, 1/10 of 1% sodium benzoate.....

I was shocked because would you believe there is NO Soy in the Soy Sauce.... :eek:
:D:p;)

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Texturized vegetable protein = soy bean meal... Have a hunch that's the "soy" in your soy sauce.
Ahhh, don't think so...... Checked a bottle of "LaChoy" Soy Sauce Ingredients: Water, salt, Hydrolyzed Soy protein, corn syrup, caramel color, potassium sorbate.....
So guess the Veggie protein was just that and not anything Soy related....... unless they ran a bean though the water. :p

Anyway, chicken breasts, baked potato, and canned corn for supper.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
DD is coming here tonight to help wife. Planning on New England Boiled dinner - corned beef, red potatoes, carrots, and of course cabbage for them.
Me, think I'll find something else; not that keen on boiled dinners. :oops:
In turn should be enough in left-overs that I won't have to worry bout what wife will be eating for a couple of days - Yippee! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Made a crock pot stew yesterday, tossed in everything I normally do minus carrots..... never thought not having carrots could have changed the taste so much - but it did.....
GGkid and DD cruised through long enough to drop stuff off for wife on Wed. Got a GGkid request though, since she'll be here with DD and SIL, "could we have pizza on Sunday when I come back?" - means I don't have to cook - after all who could refuse a GGkid. :rolleyes: :)

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
GGkid left me 2 pieces of pizza for today's lunch.... wife at the moment is leaning toward tuna fish for her lunch but hey that's 2+ hours away and subject for change. :(
Supper? Gotta start new as today is trash day and I've got to clean out the fridge, but thinking of ham steaks, coleslaw, and sweet potato for later.... and this to is subject for change! :p

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Anyone ever make corn casserole?
Closest I've ever come to a corn casserole is this easy recipe for Scalloped Corn:
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 16oz can of cream-style corn
1/2 cup saltine cracker crumbs
1/2 tsp baking powder
Combine milk and eggs in a 1 qt casserole, beat well. Add corn, crumbs, and baking powder, stirring to blend well. Bake in 375F oven 1 hour or till top is crusty and slightly browned.

Now all I've got to do is figure out what I'm going to have for tonight or even lunch for that matter..... Boy these Senior Moments are, ahhhh what was I posting????? :oops::eek::p ;)

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Wife said the Mac & Cheese is "thumbs up"... I'll be eating in a couple of hours - can wait to find out...:)

Question - how do you deal with cooking and using the oven - for something like pizzas - when it's so stinkin hot outside.

Me, I've got a roaster (chicken) ready for the oven which I think will be cooked tonight - after 8PM or if like the Mac & Cheese very early in the AM, but it will be with windows open and fan(s) going and hopefully cooler. :eek:

1 - 20 of 490 Posts