Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 10549 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, wr, that was swift. If you get this stickied up we can start the monthly threads.

We're starting hurricane preps now. There is lots of information in the Survival and Emergency Preparedness forum on HT. One thing I stressed to my families when I was working as a hospice nurse was to plan to avoid leftovers since power would be down for extended periods and they would lack the ability to refrigerate leftovers and that would draw varmints and ppests. Which leads me to (thinking about avoiding leftovers) cooking for 1 or 2.
Like many, I cooked for 4+ buddies, andd I had a real hard time learning to cook for 1 when Gfb and I were working in different places. I don't think most grocers are set up for singletons or couples, or if they are, they are set up for the "SUPERSIZE" crowd. It was a wonderful day when I first discovered shopping at Dollar Tree. They sell a 4.5 ounce clams can, a slightly larger oyster can, a a "seafood cocktail" 4.5 oz can containing mussels, scallops, and clams. Also plain chicken, chicken with chipotle and roast beef in small cans (5-6 oz) I did NOT pick upthe 5 oz can of chicken bologna but GFB said he would have tried it.
I've been

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry about being called away from the forum. We had to run errands in the city. Anyway, Dollartree also has frozen food and things like 4 brown nserve sausage patties, a small ribeye for steak n biscuit, a boneless 4 oz pork loin chop, all $1 each, mean that I don't have to worry about leftovers spoiling or large packages getting freezer burned before I use them.

I am making clam chowder with my homegrown Irish potatoes. The first clam chowder was too scanty and I had to make grilled cheese sandwiches to make a filling meal. My corrected recipe usually is enough for 2 people with toast or crackers.

2 undrained cans of clams,
or
1 undrained can of clams
1 undrained can of seafood cocktail.
1/3 bottle clam juice (optional) If you leave this out think about adding more salt.
1/4 medium onion chopped
A little butter or oil for sauteeing the chowder(better yet, bacon drippings!)
The equivalent of 3 small to medium potatoes. (My dad's rule of thumb for soup potatoes was 1 per person and one for the pot) If I'm using thumbnail sized potatoes I'll use 12-15 and cut them In half. They need to be precooked, for which I use my microwave.
2 cans evaporated milk
1/2 to 3/4 can of water (use the evaporated milk can for a measure)
2 teaspoons more or less cornstarch.
Optional vegetable or shrimp bouillon (try looking for it in your supermercadio if ypur regular grocer doesn't carry it.

First cook the onion gently in the fat, then add the canned shellfish and clam juice, heat at gentle simmer. Add some of the canned milk, continually stirring. Mix the cornstarch with a little milk, water, or clam juicein a bowl, making sure it's well dissolved. Add the rest of the liquids to the simmering shellfish mixture. Then stir In the cornstarch mixture, stirring steadily until it thickens. If you want it thicker, remove some liquid from the soup pot and add the cornstarch to it, stirring well, then stir it into the soup pot.
I like to dissolve an extra bit of butter to my bowl, which leads my sisterinnlaw to lecture me about excessive fat intake.:nono:But it tastes so good.
You have to experiment to find your ideal saltiness(potatoes and cornstarch negate salt, which is why oversalted casseroles have benefitted from the addition of extra potatoes or cornstarch for years) and ideal thickness.

The 4 oz boneless pork loin chop gets sautéed with sage and has root vegetables and turnip or Chaya greens served with, or if we just have 1 chop it becomes the meat in a stir fry.

I discovered in reading the Wagama cookbook (UK semi-fast food stirfry chain) that I had erred in sticking everything harvested recently into the wok (iron skillet, in my case) Wagama's stir fries feature a meat/fish/fowl and 3 other ingredients. over rice or noodles. By dint of much experimentation, I discovered the proper amount of stir fry ingredients for 2 is the amount that looks like it might be good for 1. That's my olden days cooking speaking, when I cooked for a teenaged boy, the stomach that walked like a man. As we age, we we find ourselves eating less. Stirfry is something you don't want leftovers on (except for rice- extra bits of rice can be saved in a ziplock in the freezer till you have enough for fried rice, which should always be made with rice at least a day old.

Okay, what are YOU cooking for dinner?

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basketti I love LOVE LOVE!! lamb. I 'm going to try to get some lamb shanks at the bodega tomorrow!
Forgot to also say I have 2 "slithers" of snails, and in a couple weeks will be processing snails. Dear Son voted for stuffed in mushroom caps with garlic butter and a rich cheese.
Edited to add- my error! A group of snails is a walk, rout, or escargatoire

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I saw a leg of lamb at the local price chopper for $99.87 yesterday!!! couldn't believe the price! i think i could get an entire lamb for less than that....not that i would but WOW!! that was high dollar in my books!
speaking of HIGH Dollar...we had a gift card to carrabas... that without a doubt was the WORST food I have ever had. WORST to the point i could eat neither the so called minnestrone-tasted like & was full of CABBAGE & chicken luna---tasted like that old Ravioli from chef boyardee with some bad sauce on it. i have never had food that bad. it was so bad i didn't eat it nor did i bring it home. My DH eats everything & he wouldn't even eat it. His food wasn't much better than mine. glad it was a gift card purchase. we will NEVER go back. that food was sooo BAD i do not know how they stay in business!
makes my cooking shine.... looks like i'll be having yogurt tonite for a meal along with baked apples that are in the oven now.
As scarlet said "tomorrow is another day..."

·
Premium Member
12,678 Posts
We've been in and out of thunder boomers all afternoon. One good thing is that we've got bullfrogs grumping again. Poachers will have them cleaned out before long though. There's a small general grocery nearby that sells cleaned and frozen 5 lb of frog legs for $17.99 every day of the week. They're not hardly as tasty as the ones out there grumping right now, but I wish people would buy their frozen frog legs for a season and allow the frog population to build back to its' former glory days when you could sit on the patio and listen to bull frogs sing every summer night.

I think this will be a good change for the dinner/supper thread and thanks to wr and Grandmotherbear for making it a smooth transition. I hope everyone finds their way here ok and keeps posting about what's cooking at their house. Our supper tonight was a slice of the crockpot ham along with a fried country egg on top of french bread and a side of pineapple chunks salad. I know it sounds gross but it was actually quite delicious.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,826 Posts
Ended up with pan-fried sweet potatoes and fresh pineapple to go along with the crock-potted pulled pork.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Over Easter, my Brother-In-Law brought a big ham bone for me - he knows I like to make Ham and Bean soup with it.

So I had a big ham bone (with some meat on it) and for Easter my sister had a big ham for our get together. He had leftovers, so gave me some ham.

That was tonight's project - threw the beans in the pot with the ham bone, vegetable broth, chopped up onion, carrot, and celery all tossed in.

As it cooked, I added garlic, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and the ham.

The secret ingredient that was added last - vinegar. When I was a kid, we always added vinegar to our bowl of Ham and Bean soup. I now add it right in the pot when it's done cooking. (And since I like vinegar, I usually end up adding more to my bowl once I ladle it out.)

It's just about done cooking and the house smells wonderful. I'll let it cool and then ladle out a bowl of it.

YUM!

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw a leg of lamb at the local price chopper for $99.87 yesterday!!! ."
This week the bodegas are selling Lamb Shanks for $3.28 lb- Publix is running $8.99 lb.

We've been in and out of thunder boomers all afternoon. One good thing is that we've got bullfrogs grumping again. Poachers will have them cleaned out before long though. There's a small general grocery nearby that sells cleaned and frozen 5 lb of frog legs for $17.99 every day of the week. They're not hardly as tasty as the ones out there grumping right now, but I wish people would buy their frozen frog legs for a season and allow the frog population to build back to its' former glory days when you could sit on the patio and listen to bull frogs sing every summer night.
Lake Placid was full of soft shell turtles 30 years ago. Haven't seen one in a decade. I tend to believe the oriental food markets did a thriving visit with poachers. That short sighted mentality just frustrates me. You have to preserve SOME breeding stock!

Making cajeta tonight. Gotta use up this extra goat milk! The house smells wonderful.
What's cajeta? Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Well the carpet got installed finally and we love it. It was 20 yrs overdue...lol Hope this one last as long.

Haven't quite decided what will be cooking here today. Got to put the house back together first. Will probably be leftover chicken tetrazzini and some sides.

Is the old cooking thread suppose to be under frugal tips archives or will it have its own section?

·
Premium Member
12,678 Posts
GMB I agree with you about preserving breeding stock in the natural environment. So many food items are now being "farmed" and grown for profit to meet an increasing demand for wild game. It comes with an expensive price tag and gives poachers even more incentive to illegally harvest from the wild so they don't have to buy it in the store.

Countryfied2011it's good to feel carpet under your feet isn't it? I know you have to be worn out after having your house all torn up for weeks. I hope it all goes smoothly back together again and that you can settle in and enjoy your new surroundings.

As for me and we, it's another day of watching for the storms to come in and go by and as always it's timed to hit right about supper. There were 3 confirmed tornadoes in Ky on Tuesday, but those were low on the intensity scale and were mostly high wind/low damage events. Our temps are going into the 80s by this afternoon though and the increased heat is promising to raise the bar just a notch. We don't have a storm shelter so it's always a bit of a fuss between me and DH on whether to leave and go to a shelter or stay here and hope it doesn't hit us. We had 2 phone alerts on Tuesday as tornado warnings were issued for our county, but DH, sassy boy that he is, refused to move from here. And as it worked out there were no touch downs in our county, thankfully.

So imagine my supper time is going to be early today before all the storm dancing begins. We're having herb roasted chicken from the deli along with mashed potatoes, and the last of the cauliflower and broccoli casserole. DH is using the rest of the chicken to make chicken chunks for freezing and to use in upcoming chicken and dumplings during the Derby weekend. I know it's a non-traditional food for Derby, but we have family coming in that have requested him to make that for them.

·
Premium Member
12,678 Posts
How come you can't post on the thread "What's cooking at your house today?" anymore?
Why start a new thread.

Makes no sense to me
It's difficult to explain since I'm not sure what happened either, but here's what I do know:
Read the bottom 2 posts and it continues on page 3:
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/countryside-families/536555-daily-journalapril-2015-everyone-welcome-post-2.html

Then some discussion continued here:
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/general-homesteading-forums/countryside-families/536916-change-whats-cooking-sticky.html

·
Premium Member
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Continuing with the experiment of "rightsizing" portions and prepping for hurricane season, for lunch trialed Old El Paso (tm) Microwave Chipotle Black Beans and Rice. No, we don't have a hurricane microwave. But the contents can be dumped into a small pot with water and boiled up on a camp stove. Used the small 5 oz can of chicken to split between the bowls to beef it up..."chicken " it up? Add additional proteins and calories. With flour tortillas. Decision? Tex-Mex types will probably adore this. Grandfatherbear loves spicy foods but since regaining his sense of taste he no longer eats hot peppers and complains he can't taste them. Even GFB found it too spicy. I couldn't finish it and had my stomach torn up all afternoon, and a simply incredible thirst all afternoon. Probably from salt and preservatives.
The idea is still good, but I will lay in instead those precooked Uncle Ben's rice packages. Heat the package in a pot of water on the campstove, and add the can chicken inside the pouch.
The lamb shanks at the bodega weren't whole but were cut into stewing size pieces. I got 2 that were about 1 2/3 lbs apiece. This will give me Irish stew, sheperds pie, and whatever else one could make fro chunked lamb. Not curry. Curry is reserved for my stirfry rotation.
Actually, we didn't get a nap today and the heat exhausted me while I was out harvesting the broccoli, tomatoes, and dried blue peas. I was in no shape to cook and requested GFB pick up cottage cheese and watermelon for me for dinner. He got himself a frozen Stouffer's (tm) cream chip beef.

1 - 20 of 10549 Posts