Whats blooming?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by james dilley, Jul 31, 2005.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

What nectar and pollen bearing plants are blooming in your neck of the woods?? down here the mesquite is blooming again after the rains. the trees and grasses are putting out pollen, And the wildflowers will start again in a few weeks .

2. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

Here in MN white clover is still blooming, along with an assortment of wildflowers.

3. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in IN it's white clover, alfalfa (I know they don't get much from that, if anything) soybeans! Wildflowers along the creeks too.... So, the BIG producer is white clover. Oh! the Buckwheat patch is still blooming, so I'd guess they're working that too.

Since I got that skunk, my hives are really building up! I'm going to take a peek today, and see how things are going in the hives.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I haven't kept bees for some years now, but I know around here mostly it's clover bloom making good honey now.
    There are lots of wildflowers including goldenrod in bloom at this time.

5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Dutch Clover, Mamoth Red Clover, Sweet Clover both white and yellow, Golden Rod, Northen bed straw, Shasta Daisys, Black Eyed Susans, Cone Flowers both white and red also and Thistle to name just a few.

:D Al

6. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

The main bloom here is the Sourwood tree. It doesn't sound appetizing, but sourwood honey is very good....has it's own market. Many honey producers pull their honey and set empty supers just before the sourwood blooms so they can label it as sourwood honey.

7. LaDonna

LaDonna Well-Known Member

We have Morning Glories, Sunflowers, marigolds and rose moss, Lavender
    Here's what the bee's like.
    [​IMG]