Whats being planted near you now??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by james dilley, Oct 8, 2006.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Around here it will be the Texas 1015 onions in about A week as well as cool weather crops, And the Alfalfa is being planted now too.. In jan it will be Watermelons and corn as well as Tomatoes and peppers. Of course theres the Herbs being planted year round. Right now the Fall corn is 2'tall and the Fall melons are ready to pick. And the Citrus will be picking in a week or so. So is there anything being planted in your neck of the woods..

2. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Winter Wheat will go in soon. I know people overseed pasture and hay fields but nothing else as we have snow in the forecast later this week. :shrug:

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

At the moment in my area they'll be prepping the ground for planting rye grass or maybe grain rye if they'll be truck farming that field next spring.

.....Alan.

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

If Shumway would get their act together, I'd be planting garlic right now. Seems they weren't going to bother me with the information that my garlic is back ordered. How thoughtful.

I'm not really pleased, though the service clerk there was pleasant. If she does not get back to me soon, though, I will call and cancel the order. No sense in waiting until the ground is too darned hard to plant...

Argh.

I was so hoping that Shumway was serious about service.

Pony!

5. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Garlic is about all going in here now. Plenty of time for that as we are now planning for the 5,000 clove planting to be the 21st and 22nd.

As for Shumway's varieties, I know that they have 3 of the 4 in stock as the Jung's stores just got those a week or so ago. No German Red yet so that may be the back-ordered one.

Martin

6. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

That's the one I'm looking for, all right.

I always get a little panicky about getting the garlic in. Add to that the threat of *gasp!* snow, and I'm in need of a glass of wine to soothe my nerves. ;)

Now that I think back, I do recall that it was closer to November when I got last year's in as well. So, I'll just take a chill pill and relax.

Right.

I'll relax with a laundry basket of tomatoes. Yippee.

Pony!

7. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Winter wheat is about all going in right now.

I'm thinking about some blackberry bushes from the barter board.

"I'll relax with a laundry basket of tomatoes. Yippee"

Chant - "Next year I might not get any and I'll be grateful I put these up." "Next year I might not get any and I'll be grateful I put these up."

(Psst - if you let them set long enough they rot and you can throw them away.)

8. northstarpermie

northstarpermie Well-Known Member

Garlic is done and thought about planting onions. I'm actually putting my garden to bed for the winter. The killer frost on Sept 9th wiped it out & no one was home to cover it. In the house I'm replanting my herbs, spinach, lettuce, & am going to see about tomatoes this winter.

9. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

I am waiting for my tomatoes to finish dying so I can put garlic and onions where they are.

Have some turnips growing and my green beans are doing a resurrection trick.

Have carrots, too. Big leafy tops and just beginning to form good roots.

So most of my growing stuff was planted a while back and the only thing I'm still going to put in is onions and garlic. Unless I can still put something in where the beans are after they give up the ghost.

10. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

The sugarcane is getting cut hot and heavy round here right now. In my garden, I have tomatoes, zuchini, crookneck squash, cucumbers, peppers and eggplants left from the spring growing very well. I just planted my new zealand spinach, iceberg and buttercruch lettuce, turnips, mustard greens, broccoli and cauliflower. I will plant the strawberries later this month when they come in. The carrots will be planted on Friday. The english peas are just peeking their little leaves up from the ground.