Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Donsgal's hamburg thread reminded me of this....

I went to the grocery store for my mom the other day. On her list was a "mango." Now...I thought it was a little weird that she wanted a mango. She's not adventurous, and to her generation, that's exotic. Granted she's been trying Food Channel recipes lately, though. So I called her up just to be sure, and I was right, what she really wanted was a green pepper!

Did anyone else's parents (or do you?) call green peppers "mangoes"???

I remember my dad always called them that. He liked scrambled eggs with "mangoes."

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
ROFL oh my word!
Our old house had 3 trees of them. Somehow I can't think of them in eggs, LOL
I never heard of green pepper a mango. Maybe cause they are in abundance here???
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did anyone else's parents (or do you?) call green peppers "mangoes"???
Yup, my grandma did. Up until the time that tropical mangoes became rather common in the grocery stores, I did, too.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I had always thought mango when it means peppers referred to reddish ones that were pickeled, and this term mostly used in northern and northeastern parts of the country. Here, a mango is a wonderful oval shaped tropcial fruit you can find 3 for $1 in season. :p

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have never heard of peppers being called mangoes. Mangoes make great jam !

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
I had a friend from Korea that called green peppers mango's. She barely spoke any english at all and it took a while for me to figure what she was talking about as mango's are one of my favorite fruits and I had never heard it used for green peppers before!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
And here I thought that was just an appalacian hillbilly thing. I was surprised as a kid when I found out some folks called them bell peppers instead of mangos.

·
Premium Member
19,984 Posts
My grandma in Pennsylvania always called them mangoes too.

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
MicheleMomof4 said:
ROFL oh my word!
Our old house had 3 trees of them. Somehow I can't think of them in eggs, LOL
I never heard of green pepper a mango. Maybe cause they are in abundance here???
God Bless,
Michele
Where did you grow mangos?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts