What's a "Cabin"?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ceresone, Dec 11, 2006.

1. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Been wondering, whats your definition of a cabin? what makes it a cabin? Is it size?, if it's size, what size does it stop being a cabin, and become a house?
    Is it the materials its made from?, if so what and why? Is it location? why?
    Just a question I've been wondering-let's hear your definition?

2. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

HUmmm, I dont know. When I think of a cabin I picture wood on the outside, usually logs or wood siding. I picture it in a country or lake setting.

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

My neighbors call their house a cabin and it is pretty big and looks like a regular house on the inside. The outside looks a bit more cabiny with a small deck and picture windows facing a great view. Our house looks like a cabin on the outside, wood siding, dark green with a milk chocolate steel roof and trim. Inside we have an open loft, high pitched roof and ceilings and the three decks all use posts made from local trees and left in tree shape, chimney and wood pile also contribute to the cabin appearance. IMO sis

4. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

That depends. My aunt lived in a 2 1/2 room "house" for many many years. It had no water or plumbing, just a living room with a wood burner and a gas stove, a bedroom and a small sitting room no bigger than a closet. In the early '90's they added plumbing, a full bath, a large living room. They still called it a cabin. They never refered to it as a house, no matter how much they built on, it was always called "the cabin" even though there were no logs and it had a "house" look to it. It also sat on 28 acres if that makes a difference. They lost it in a flood so now the land is bare.

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    My mental picture of a 'cabin' is a single person dwelling, with just the basic necessities for survival.

6. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

A caution when you hear the word "cabin" - find out where they are from!
    I have heard plenty of Coloradoans call their mountain place a CABIN only to find out in further conversation that the CABIN is nearly 6,000 square feet (that's the house, not the land!) 6 bedrooms, 5-1/2 baths, 4 car garage in Estes Park or Breckenridge. And they are DEAD SERIOUS when they call it the CABIN. (Personally, I call that a LODGE! :rolleyes: ) In Colorado, it's the LOCATION not the size.

So the point is ... all things are relative! :baby04:
    BW

7. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

When I was in college, a fraternity brother of mine invited us to a big shindig at his family's cabin. In my mind, we would be at a two room structure, crudely constructed, very primitive and sparsely decorated.
    When we arrived, I found that the 'cabin' was a 2500 square foot, four bedroom house. It was twice the size house that I grew up in, and boasted a full kitchen with all appliances, and decorated beautifully.
    Interesting what everyone considers a 'cabin'.
    clove

8. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    Here's a picture of the Cow Camp cabin my DH & I lived in one Spring while he worked cattle on the Imnaha River. Heaven on earth. No phone. No neighbors. ...no indoor running water either, lol.

[​IMG]

A cabin (in my mind) is in a remote area, near a river or water. It's small and cozy, without a whole lot of frills. It's got a front porch to sit on in the evening and watch the deer and elk. It's heated with wood and cooking is the same--wood cookstove (or bottled gas).

There's a small pine table with a kerosene lamp. A cozy bed with quilts. And flowers in the flower beds outside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh...and my cabin wouldn't be complete without a cowboy coming home every evening--with his dog, and his horse:
    [​IMG]

9. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I think our home qualifies as a cabin:
    [​IMG]
    View from porch:
    [​IMG]

10. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

The Windsor family calls Balmoral castle "the cabin". After all, it is thier little summer get-a-way.

11. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
  12. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

We consider both of our places to be "cabins" primarily due to construction style and location. The one on the right would even meet Mitch's definition of "cabin."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

Our cabin is an off grid one room (about 15x14) wood structure. It has propane heat and lights,with an attached screened in porch (about 10x12). For me the cabin and surrounding land (53acres) is heaven on earth.

14. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

sounds like what i am working on

15. nana-san

nana-san Well-Known Member

Lisa, stop showing those pics!!! There won't be anything left if my jaw keeps hitting the floor.

CF,the cabin on the right is the guest house, eh? What size is the one on the left?

your homes are beautiful!! Paradise on Earth.

16. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Without the front and back porches, the footprint of our home (the one on the left) is 26 x 50 feet. With the porches added, the footprint becomes 26 x 66 feet.

17. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i went away to a wealthy friends "cabin" once while in college. it was actually a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom farmhouse with a full kitchen a sitting room and a dining room. lol. perspective....

18. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

.....besides imagine if you called your cabin a 'Lodge'.....you'de have to change your name to 'Lodge Fever'. Somehow, that just don't sound right. :shrug:

19. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

20. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    I think real cabins should be just one or two rooms at most and definitely hand built with the simplest of materials and methods. If you cant see every room from the front door and the list of furnishings runs for more than 2 or 3 hand written pages...its too big for a cabin.

As to 6000 sq ft cabins.....remember every one of the grand mansions of Newport were called Cottages. How the Vanderbilts ever said that word when referring to the Breakers or Marble House is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Cornelius Vanderbilts little cottage, The Breakers:

[​IMG]

And his cousin Willie K's place down the road, Marble House:

[​IMG]

With its cozy cottage dining room:

[​IMG]

NOW THIS is a cabin:

[​IMG]

or this:

[​IMG]