What's a beagle worth?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by WVGal, Nov 3, 2004.

1. WVGal

WVGal Member

In the middle of August, a near-starved, red and white beagle showed up at our house. We fed him thinking that someone would be along to find him. No one showed up and there were no lost dog signs anywhere, so then we assumed that someone just dumped him (happens all the time where we live). Well, after two and a half months, the owner drove by and found him. He stopped at the road and tried to get the dog to come to him, but he wouldn't. Then he saw my dad and asked him about it. When we stopped in at my dad's last night, he told us, so we took the beagle to his owner. The beagle wouldn't get out of the box, and when I finally pulled him out, he started growling at his brother. Plus, my son had been crying uncontrollably (we both love this beagle like no other dog). So, the man said we had to keep the beagle. I refused several times, but he finally picked the dog up and put him back in the box. I tried to pay him, but he refused. A gun had been traded for the two dogs. I have no clue what this dog is worth and how I should go about paying him, but I don't feel that I can just take the dog for nothing, although it was very kind of the man to let us do that. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Andi

2. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Make him a pie, and say "Thank you, very much!"
    You probably saved the dog's life- so the man wouldn't have had him anyway.
    I'm glad you got to keep him. I'll bet your boy is over the moon!
    The old owner can find a new rabbit dog easier than your son can find a best buddy!

3. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

The man did a nice thing, Dont spoil it fot him by making it an issue. Maybe bake him a cake or cookies, drop it off at house with a nice thank you note attached. Then stay away so he dosnt change his mind :) .

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i agree, in this case the best payment is baked goods and a thank you note
    anything more than that could be construed as rude, you dont pay grandma back for the gift she gave you of your mother , do you?

5. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

I agree, just bake some nice goodies. Have your son write a nice thank you for the dog. He may be happy to do a nice thing and see's the dog has picked your family!
    Denise

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Have your son make him a card,and all of you say Thank You,that would make me feel pretty good.
    BooBoo

7. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

According to my Beagle Sam, Beagles are worth $395,038,271,045.00

He COULD be wrong.

8. WVGal

WVGal Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. That's what I'll do, bake him something and have my son write him a note. He's elated that Jethro is now officially his. :) Yes, Shygal, I know what your beagle means concerning his worth. We both fell in love with this dog, and I always stated before that I hated beagles! He really is a good dog. He doesn't bark, he doesn't bother my cat, he chases the deer away, and he sits and listens to my boy talking from sun-up to sun-down and just thumps his tail. :D