Whatch' been doin'?

Discussion in 'Country Singletree' started by Terri, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member

Now that my daughter's wedding is over, I have discovered that I am way behind in yardwork. So, every morning before it get's hot I am out there. I have even bought a Ryobi weed whacker for the weeds along the fence and the buildings, because, no lie, they are 3 feet tall. Also, the room I laughingly call "My office" is crammed full of things that have no home. And, they will HAVE no home until I clean up some shelves in the garage. Usually this is the time of year that I fish for my lunch, take it home, and grill it on my back deck, but I do not feel the slightest desire to do so. After spending an hour or 3 working outside the idea of fishing imply does not appeal.

So, I am going to have a very HOMESTEADY weekend, and probably visit the Farmer's Market to give myself a break. I might even check under the potato plants to see if there are any, yet, and cook it up with eggs. The best thing about eggs is that when you feel like a homesteady lunch the chickens are almost always producing main courses, and there are 6 eggs in the fridge. Onions are good at long term production also: perhaps I will chop up a green onion with the potatos, assuming there ARE potatos!

So, that is how my summer went. First getting ready for the wedding, then the wedding, and now trying to catch up. All in all, a pretty good summer, so far.

How about you folks? Whatcha' been doin'?

MoBookworm1957 and COSunflower like this.
  2. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

Duking it out in court with my son's father.
    0612171157.jpg
    It's been a real joy..... but!! I did manage to put in a sad little citiot garden for the summer and it is doing really well.

3. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I am in full speed summer keep the grass scalped and the garden weeded mode to keep the snakes away from our normal foot traffic areas.

4. Terri

Wow. I only have one dog and I have not seen a snake in 2 years!

What can I say. He likes the snakes.

5. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

Today was the older kids last day of school so now we're preparing ourselves for 3 long months,lol

6. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

I'm JUST starting to get over a BAD intestinal/stomach bug that I got from my sick granddaughter last weekend when babysitting the 4 kids over the weekend so that my son and wife could have a mini vacation. :) Grandkids, the gift that keeps on giving....LOL!!! The 7 year old was so sick that I only got about 2 hrs sleep Saturday night. Being overly tired Sunday night sure didn't help when it hit me!!! Like Terri though - I am WAY behind on yard work. Haven't seen the guy that normally does it, might be in jail again. :( I got out my 2.5 lb weed whacker and my little garden bench (I walk with a cane so have to sit often) and got a small amount done before I left for babysitting the kids. Had rain Mon. and then I got sick so I will try to start again this weekend if I feel better. It's been too cold and windy to get anything planted also so need to do that since next week will finally warm up AGAIN. Hopefully no more cold fronts till Fall!!!

7. vickinell

vickinell Well-Known Member

Last week was my first week of summer break. it took me awhile but I finally got the book read about tidying up. Then Sunday I uncovered my pool and after two days got it cleaned and ready for summer.
    Today I mowed and cleaned out the chicken coop. My grand kids were over swimming so I made broccoli cheese quiche and a strawberry tart.
    I have begun to declutter but hope to get serious starting Monday. I plan to get rid of a bunch of stuff. I am going to get rid of a lot of fabric I have been hanging on to, and get some sewing done with what I keep. I have had fabric to make new cushions for two chaise lounges I bought at the antique mall my daughter works at and has a booth. I want to get that done before July.

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  8. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

Vickinell, do you quilt? Our little HT quilting swap group is starting the summer quilt block swap!!! It's really fun! Come and join us!!!

MoBookworm1957 likes this.
  9. vickinell

vickinell Well-Known Member

Thank you for inviting me. I do not quilt. I sew very simple things like napkins , table clothes, pillows, cushions,curtains, duvets.

How do you swap online?

10. DKWunlimited

DKWunlimited A year full of blessings Supporter

Driving. That seems to be my life right now.
    Shuttling grandson to and from VBS last week, and then next 2 weeks are swimming lessons.
    Shuttling mom to doctors and then my own doctor appts.

On a HT note, I did get to sit and snap a bucket of greenbeans last night and cleaned a handfull of spring onions.

ShannonR likes this.
  11. Terri

My new Ryobi weed whacker is a gem, but I can only use it for 10 minutes at a time. That is OK: I got my son to use it for me for a bit to help get me off to a good start.

I have a volunteer potato in my back yard: I wonder if I can get it to form a perennial patch. I tried it once before but the next winter was a bad one, and it was lost.

I am still waiting for insurance to approve the place that will give me my new MS meds. Not to approve the meds, they already did that, but they have not yet approved WHERE I will GET the meds! Meanwhile I am medicineless and getting impatient!

12. cindilu

cindilu Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been building and building some more. I am thinking I should be living on my property some time in July. The house won't be finished by then but it will be liveable and I am okay with that. A lot of what is going on I have been doing by myself, either after work or on the weekends and there is a lot to do still. So off to my property I go.

13. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Terri, perhaps the chickens are keeping up with baby snakes. After I had chickens on the other place for a couple years, and shot out a few from inside the nests, I didn't see but mayby one in a nest and nowhere else around the house a year.
    I am getting ready to mow my hay today. I got 1/2in rain Sat/Sun night. Hoping that wont hinder anything. Garden looks flooded a bit, but im hoping that the hay drew a lot of the moisture off the ground and into the plants.

COSunflower likes this.
  14. Terri

Oh, I am pretty sure that in my case it is the dog. I have HEARD that chickens will kill snakes, but I do not think that my chickens have ever seen one.

Basically, the dog starts at one end of a snake hole and spends a couple of weeks digging along the hole until he reaches our fence. every now and then he sticks his nose into the hole and gives a polite little "YIP", just to let the snake know that the dog has come over to play.

By the time the dog has dug along the hole until it reaches the fence the snake has long since gone into the neighbors back yard. And, I don't think they come back: leastways it has been a long time since I have seen one.

What can I say: Kansas snakes do not enjoy playing with dogs!

COSunflower likes this.
  15. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Cant argue with that, BUT I still bet that the chickens have taken care of the baby snakes, long as a pencil, twice as round.

COSunflower and Terri like this.